General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm new to triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-27 3:58 PM

User image

Subject: I'm new to triathlon
Hello everyone, I'm Todd from Georgia and I'm new to triathlon.

I have been running off and on for most of my life and completed my first half marathon this past June. At the end of June I purchased my first road bike (with the intention of training for a triathlon) and have been riding 2-3 times per week averaging about 25 miles each ride.

I have registered for a super sprint triathlon on August 20th and I'm nervous - mostly about the swim. I'm very excited about getting into this sport and know I will be fine once I get a little more training under my belt.

I look forward to learning from others here as well.

Todd

2016-07-29 8:54 AM
in reply to: tmiddlebrooks

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: I'm new to triathlon
Hi Todd, and welcome! It sounds like you are more than prepared to ride and run, and you'll find that lots of triathletes struggle with the swim at first. There have actually been quite a few swimming posts in the Tri Talk section of the forum just in the last few days, so make sure to check those out. Do you know how to swim? Lessons are a great way to build confidence and make sure you're learning the right technique.
2016-07-31 11:05 PM
in reply to: #5192904

User image

Thanks Laura. I'll check out those posts. While I do know how to swim, I've never done any type of competitive swimming so I haven't focused on form.

I've registered for the shortest swim I could find to get started with (300yds), but I'm still nervous about it.
2016-08-05 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Welcome to the party!

One suggestion I have on how to get over the swimming nerves is to try to swim in the water where the race will take place. I've been doing tri for 7 years and I still get nervous about the murky water of the lake where the first tri of the season take place. So, I go for a few practice swims in the days and sweeks leading up to the race to calm my nerves.

One of the nice things about tris is that you can "warm up" before the race. Spending some time in the water on race morning will go a long way towards making the swim as fun as possible!

If you like Beer - come join our mentor group. We'd love to have you. Here is the link: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

There are plenty of expert swimmers who can really help you (as they help me).
2016-08-08 1:22 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Thanks Dave. That's an excellent suggestion. I will try to get some time in the water pre-race. I appreciate the tip!
2016-08-09 7:55 AM

Finding a 300 yd swim for your first tri was a smart move. My first tri was last year...a sprint with a 450 yard swim. Get the swim under your belt and prepare to get hooked to this sport as you cross the finish line of your first triathlon. There's nothing quite like the first time.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » I'm new to triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Hello, I'm new to triathlon.

Started by jitse
Views: 777 Posts: 3

2012-03-06 12:57 PM jitse

I'm new and I'm LisaC957's sister

Started by BrendaK
Views: 1005 Posts: 3

2012-02-06 7:05 AM TriAya

I'm new and I'm nervous

Started by getripped
Views: 1303 Posts: 11

2008-05-29 2:34 PM Onestepcloser3

I'm here and I'm New!

Started by JKat
Views: 923 Posts: 3

2005-05-27 12:56 PM imnotjoking

i'm new

Started by m_gibson3
Views: 1095 Posts: 4

2003-09-26 7:42 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 29, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Getting back in shape after childbirth

date : September 22, 2014
author : sahm3k
comments : 4
As I entered the transition area, I got body marked. It was, for me, pretty intense. It made it so real...I was doing this! A triathlon!
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : December 27, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 5
Are you a new swimmer starting your triathlon training? Here are some top answers to member questions as you begin your triathlon swim training.

date : May 7, 2008
author : katzchen55
comments : 3
My thanks to the triathlete community for being there when I need you. That’s the beautiful thing about triathletes. None of us are all right, and no one expects anyone else to be.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!