General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery time Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-27 4:47 PM

Subject: Recovery time
I completed my first HIM on Saturday I need to keep up my fitness as I have another in just over 5 weeks, I tried a bike this morning, and swim this evening but I haven't much power and could only do hour on bike..and only 30 mins swim....surely I should be able to do more than this?

2016-07-27 7:06 PM
in reply to: loops

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Recovery time

No, depending on your fitness level, and how hard you raced, it's not uncommon for it to be 2 or 3 weeks after an HIM before you have access to all "the gears" again.  If you think of yourself as normally having 5 gears, during this recovery period, you'll feel fine until you're training, and try to go harder than 3rd gear. 4th and 5th just won't happen. This is especially true of first time long course athletes.

2016-07-28 8:04 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
I did my first Oly almost two weeks ago and I'm still feeling really sluggish.

I wasn't really expecting this, but hopefully it will pass quickly.
2016-07-28 8:47 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by TriMyBest

No, depending on your fitness level, and how hard you raced, it's not uncommon for it to be 2 or 3 weeks after an HIM before you have access to all "the gears" again.  If you think of yourself as normally having 5 gears, during this recovery period, you'll feel fine until you're training, and try to go harder than 3rd gear. 4th and 5th just won't happen. This is especially true of first time long course athletes.

How do you suggest getting back into things? I didn't have any issues after my spring International (1500m; 45k; 10k). I raced on Saturday and rode with my tri group on Sunday. I recall being nauseous for several hours after the race, but I was fine the next day and subsequent days.

I have a 70.3 race next Saturday.....and another 70.3 seven weeks later. My plan was to have a very light week after the first race......do a 4 week block and then taper 2 weeks (50% volume in 1st week and additional 15% reduction in second week of taper). I don't plan to taper my swimming at all. I'll do a 60-70 mi. ride a week out from each and maybe a mid-week 25-30 mi ride......and call it good.

I wasn't really expecting to be at a reduced energy level for more than 1 week. But, I'm in uncharted waters. I'm also 51.
2016-07-28 9:20 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I'm at the same point as you are (HIM last Sunday; another one Sept. 4) and I'd say where you are is very normal. For me, the progression is pretty much like this--it's varied and gotten a bit faster as I've gotten more experience with longer races, but not much--

First Day--Forget it. I'm not doing anything. Maybe an easy walk or 20 minute splash int the water something. I usually feel a bit sick. Sometimes I DO get sick (cold symptoms). I can do an easy swim but I will just feel tired, tired, tired all day.

Second Day--Still sore (sometimes more than the first day--but this varies a lot). Swimming feels normal. Probably wouldn't be enthused about a hard workout, though. Forget about bike or run. Don't even want to look at my bike!

Third to Sixth Days--I generally feel fine until I start to run, or try to do a hard effort on the bike. Running just feels like a lot more work than usual. Not sore, but speeding up would be ugly.

Second Week--I can gradually get back from recovery-type workouts to real training. Swimming is generally the first to feel "normal" again. (Actually I've gone to masters and had average workouts later in the first week after a HIM.) Then biking, maybe a week to ten days after. Running usually comes last. Last year I did my best time for an Oly 13 days after a hard HIM. In those 13 days, I had 4 or 5 good swim workouts, two decent rides where I was back at normal speed, and only one semi-decent run, two days before the second race.

Even after I otherwise feel back to normal, I tend to sleep about 1-2 hours more per night than normal for the first 10-14 days after a HIM if left to my own devices. So I could guess at some level my body is still recovering from it.

Even if you tend to recover fairly quickly, I would focus the first week on just recovery-type efforts (getting the blood moving and loosening up) rather than building or even maintaining fitness; the second on transitioning back to "real" training. And be ready to adjust that by another week if your body is not happy about things--better to really recover than to enter another training/taper cycle with an illness, injury, or major physical/mental fatigue.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-07-28 9:23 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recovery time Rss Feed