BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-08-22 3:09 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois
Congrats Randee!!!

2016-08-23 2:46 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Well Done Randee!!!
2016-08-23 2:50 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I need some Garmin help guys. Since I updated my Garmin about 6 weeks ago it has been having real trouble finding satellites - yesterday it took over 10 minutes and I was running in a place that I have run in many times before.

Any suggestions on what I should do? It is a Forerunner10 and is only about 12 months old?
2016-08-23 6:57 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK I need some Garmin help guys. Since I updated my Garmin about 6 weeks ago it has been having real trouble finding satellites - yesterday it took over 10 minutes and I was running in a place that I have run in many times before. Any suggestions on what I should do? It is a Forerunner10 and is only about 12 months old?

Maybe try a soft reset to see if that fixes the issue.  If it doesn't, you can try a hard reset, but note that will wipe all your data and you'll have to set it up again.  

Another option that won't fix the amount of time that it takes to acquire satellites, but will stop you from running in circles is to turn on your watch and put it outside or on a window sill and let it acquire the satellites as you get ready to run. Good luck!

2016-08-23 7:16 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I have a Forerunner 15 and it also seems to take forever to pick up a signal. Resetting hasn't helped. (Haven't tried the "hard reset" though.) I usually just let it do its thing during the warmup part of my run, and only use it for the hard stuff. Of course, this only works if you're wearing another watch, and only use it for hard running, which is pretty much how I use it. I detest knowing how fast/slow I am running, and only use it if I'm working on pacing for an upcoming race. Otherwise, maybe putting it outside earlier to pick up the signal would be a good idea if resetting doesn't work. Have thought of that but not actually done it--with my luck it would blow down into the street and break or get stolen!
2016-08-23 7:20 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I had that problem with the 310XT.  I have been amazed at how fast the 920XT finds satellites.  I have heard that the newer Edge units are the same way so they must have changed something.

2016-08-23 7:50 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yep--I have a fairly new Edge 520 on the bike and it picks up signals pretty much instantly, even if I'm riding inside and accidentally leave the GPS on. Not so the Forerunner.
2016-08-23 8:12 AM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by StaceyK I need some Garmin help guys. Since I updated my Garmin about 6 weeks ago it has been having real trouble finding satellites - yesterday it took over 10 minutes and I was running in a place that I have run in many times before. Any suggestions on what I should do? It is a Forerunner10 and is only about 12 months old?

Maybe try a soft reset to see if that fixes the issue.  If it doesn't, you can try a hard reset, but note that will wipe all your data and you'll have to set it up again.  

Another option that won't fix the amount of time that it takes to acquire satellites, but will stop you from running in circles is to turn on your watch and put it outside or on a window sill and let it acquire the satellites as you get ready to run. Good luck!

I have a 210 for a running watch. Sometimes when it's really bad I'll do the resets. Usually set it in the window while getting ready though.

For bike computers, the 800 was ok at finding a signal. The 810 and 1000 are pretty good at it. They'll still get a signal fairly quick lower inside my house where the 210 would lose it completely.

2016-08-23 8:42 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
My Forerunner 15 is the same and will take about 500m of walking to figure out where it is. I take this as a bit of a warm up but it does get frustrating at times. My Edge 500 is lightning fast at acquiring satellites as is my Garmin etrex.
2016-08-23 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by StaceyK

I need some Garmin help guys. Since I updated my Garmin about 6 weeks ago it has been having real trouble finding satellites - yesterday it took over 10 minutes and I was running in a place that I have run in many times before.

Any suggestions on what I should do? It is a Forerunner10 and is only about 12 months old?

I have a Timex and it is a POS. I turn it on and leave it outside for 10+ minutes before I use and and it usually finds a signal.
2016-08-23 9:15 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella
I have a Timex and it is a POS. I turn it on and leave it outside for 10+ minutes before I use and and it usually finds a signal.

I have the 910 and vivoactive and never have any trouble acquiring a signal.  The only exception is if I'm 100s of miles away from home, sometimes the 910 takes a little longer to grab the signal and/or it asks if I have moved 100s of miles away since the last use, once I enter "yes", it acquires the signal pretty quickly.  The vivoactive is fast regardless of location.

2016-08-23 9:21 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

For me, i have had various garmins and on my forerunners i found that every once in a while it would act buggy if the memory was full. If i cleared the history the satellites would suddenly pick up better. 

2016-08-23 9:30 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Does anyone have the Vivoactive HR? I seemed to have gotten my father in law into working out and he now loves indoor rowing and doing some weights a couple days a week. It feels great to know that my newfound passion for being fit is wearing off on others. Anyhow, it's his birthday and my wife and I were thinking a HR monitor would be a fitting gift. I can't imagine him wearing a chest strap so I was thinking the Vivoactive seems to check all the boxes I think he'd like - simple to use, HR monitoring, no chest strap.
2016-08-23 9:46 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by TXTriRook Does anyone have the Vivoactive HR? I seemed to have gotten my father in law into working out and he now loves indoor rowing and doing some weights a couple days a week. It feels great to know that my newfound passion for being fit is wearing off on others. Anyhow, it's his birthday and my wife and I were thinking a HR monitor would be a fitting gift. I can't imagine him wearing a chest strap so I was thinking the Vivoactive seems to check all the boxes I think he'd like - simple to use, HR monitoring, no chest strap.

I have the non-HR one so i can't help. I do enjoy the the regular Vivoactive so if it has the same features, it's great for daily use! 

People often comment on it thinking it's an apple watch - i say 'it's even better' (at least to me it is - you know having built in GPS and being waterproof)

2016-08-23 10:22 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by TXTriRook Does anyone have the Vivoactive HR? I seemed to have gotten my father in law into working out and he now loves indoor rowing and doing some weights a couple days a week. It feels great to know that my newfound passion for being fit is wearing off on others. Anyhow, it's his birthday and my wife and I were thinking a HR monitor would be a fitting gift. I can't imagine him wearing a chest strap so I was thinking the Vivoactive seems to check all the boxes I think he'd like - simple to use, HR monitoring, no chest strap.

I have the non-HR one so i can't help. I do enjoy the the regular Vivoactive so if it has the same features, it's great for daily use! 

People often comment on it thinking it's an apple watch - i say 'it's even better' (at least to me it is - you know having built in GPS and being waterproof)

I have the non-heart rate one too, so I can't help on the HR function.  However, here is a in-depth review of the product by DC Rainmaker.  His reviews are great.  

2016-08-23 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I have the 910 and vivoactive and never have any trouble acquiring a signal.  The only exception is if I'm 100s of miles away from home, sometimes the 910 takes a little longer to grab the signal and/or it asks if I have moved 100s of miles away since the last use, once I enter "yes", it acquires the signal pretty quickly.  The vivoactive is fast regardless of location.

I have the same experience with the 910. Like Hands, I just turn in on and set in on a window sill while (whilst in case Darren is looking) I get myself and the dog ready then I'm good to go.

2016-08-23 11:03 AM

User image

Originally posted by juniperjen

I have the non-heart rate one too, so I can't help on the HR function.  However, here is a in-depth review of the product by DC Rainmaker.  His reviews are great.  

Thanks, I read the review. As a 920 user myself I like that fact that I'll be able to get him up and running on Garmin connect. My mom bought a Polar a few months ago and for the life of me I couldn't figure out the app and how to get everything setup correctly.
2016-08-23 11:17 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I had a Timex a few years back and really liked the display and features while training. The file dance was a hassle, as was acquiring a satellite. My 310XT is much better at both of those. In so far as satellites go, I find that if I set it down on the roof of my van and stretch my calves and back a bit before heading out, I will have given it time to figure out where I am. However, if I don't let it find a signal, starting to run is a bad idea. It will not work rightt. Also, I have had to soft and hard reset it on a couple of occasions. I think I had a firmware glitch going on, but I'm really not sure. If there is one thing that folks haven't mentioned, it is to update the firmware. I think you can do it right through Garmin Connect (or whatever the software is called now).

Good Luck!

2016-08-23 11:27 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by StaceyK

Ugh.. I hate when gps does not work :/
Sorry, I have no advice. I use RunKeeper app on my phone. But experience loosing satellite once in a while as well..
2016-08-23 11:29 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
Biking shoes question:
my local bike store has deals every week. This time they have 40% off on bike shoes. I want to take advantage of it, but I have no idea if there's anything I should pay attention to. Does it matter for biking just like it matters a lot for running? Or is it only a matter of comfort?
2016-08-23 12:17 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83 Biking shoes question: my local bike store has deals every week. This time they have 40% off on bike shoes. I want to take advantage of it, but I have no idea if there's anything I should pay attention to. Does it matter for biking just like it matters a lot for running? Or is it only a matter of comfort?

Mary, just to check, are you looking at pedals too?

2016-08-23 1:42 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by marysia83 Biking shoes question: my local bike store has deals every week. This time they have 40% off on bike shoes. I want to take advantage of it, but I have no idea if there's anything I should pay attention to. Does it matter for biking just like it matters a lot for running? Or is it only a matter of comfort?

Yes, my plan is to have shoes and pedals. I don't want to try pedals before the Sunday race (obviously), so I wanted to do it post racing. I just got that e-mail about the deals on shoes and decided it's great time to use it. I was thinking of waiting until they have deals on pedals too (they have different deals every week). Do you think I should buy everything together?

I know nothing about shoes/pedals, and anything else that comes along...
2016-08-23 2:03 PM

User image

Originally posted by marysia83

Yes, my plan is to have shoes and pedals. I don't want to try pedals before the Sunday race (obviously), so I wanted to do it post racing. I just got that e-mail about the deals on shoes and decided it's great time to use it. I was thinking of waiting until they have deals on pedals too (they have different deals every week). Do you think I should buy everything together?

I'd love to hear from someone who knows more about this than I do but as far as I know shoes and pedals don't have much to do with one another. As long as you have the right cleat for the pedal, the brand/style of shoe should have no impact. As far as shoes go, my 1st pair of riding shoes had a plastic sole. I since upgraded to carbon and definitely notice a difference. If there's not a significant price difference and/or you plan on keeping them for a while, I'd say get a good carbon sole on your shoes that look cool and are comfortable!
2016-08-23 2:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Yes, my plan is to have shoes and pedals. I don't want to try pedals before the Sunday race (obviously), so I wanted to do it post racing. I just got that e-mail about the deals on shoes and decided it's great time to use it. I was thinking of waiting until they have deals on pedals too (they have different deals every week). Do you think I should buy everything together? I know nothing about shoes/pedals, and anything else that comes along...

Yes, shoes and pedals go together - you'll install the cleats of the pedals you chose on to the bike shoes. If you don't have pedals and cleats with the shoes they won't be terribly useful.  That said, you it's not a package deal, you can often install any sort of pedal cleat with your shoes ... 

At the very least go in and check out the selection. So you can see what you want. In my experience the supply of what is available for women is limited and if you are flexible about what you want you can get better deals. 

I have a pair of road shoes i got on sale. Road bike shoes are different from Tri bike shoes mostly in the upper. More expert people can chime in. Tri shoes generally have a big velcro strap that make them easier to change. As well as more ventilated, easy dry material. The road shoes are more stiff and often have  different straps or closures (mine have two velcro straps and then a plastic one that snaps and tightens). the soles on both are very stiff and not really meant to be walked in. 

Anyway, that's my low-tech help ... those with more technical knowledge can pipe up ... 

Edited by juniperjen 2016-08-23 2:08 PM
2016-08-23 2:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

I would buy them together and ask that they also do a "fitting" after you do your race. The cleats can be adjusted forwards/backwards, side to side and at different angles, you also have different cleats that will offer different amounts of float. Pedals and shoes are great but if they are set up randomly you wont get the most out of them (at the best) and they could cause pain at the worst.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.