BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-08-24 2:33 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Originally posted by melbo55 

Yup, that's the event, Ben.  I get the impression from Mary S. and from looking at the elevation profile that nothing is too terribly steep, mainly longer, extended hills, and the terrain is similar to what I'm used to riding around my area.  Over 1 lap (26 miles) the elevation gain is 1175, less than or around what I generally encounter on local rides.  For example Sat. I rode 21 miles and had close to 1500 feet of climbing but was also seeking out some hills.

Disk brakes: I have them on my MTB, so I have experience with them.  

I've ridden bicycles my entire lif. I'm not sure I've hit 1500 feet of climbing.  Just sayin'. 

2016-08-24 3:06 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by DaveL Repair or replace the tire - I would replace it but I offered the patching info as an alternative, you can replace just the one tire but look at the other as well- the rear will wear faster than the front. If it is squared off I would replace it. Tire sizes - I run 32's or 35's! but popular opinion today says that 25's are faster than the 23s for you road going peeps. GP4000's always seem to be popular Rental bike - Nice rental! I wouldnt worry too much about the cassette, there might be a gap or 2 so instead of 12-13-14-15 you might have 12-13-15-16 but that 32 could be nice if the "rolling terrain" turns out to be "murderous steep uphills".

Now that you said it with the steep, is this race in Colorado? They can have a different idea of "rolling". That said, is this the event? From there it really doesn't look like trouble. If there is anything hard, it's likely to be shorter at least.

Yup, that's the event, Ben.  I get the impression from Mary S. and from looking at the elevation profile that nothing is too terribly steep, mainly longer, extended hills, and the terrain is similar to what I'm used to riding around my area.  Over 1 lap (26 miles) the elevation gain is 1175, less than or around what I generally encounter on local rides.  For example Sat. I rode 21 miles and had close to 1500 feet of climbing but was also seeking out some hills.

Guessing you're good with on the grade since you've done some mountain stuff recently too. Some people are learning that with the inclusion of Barlow Rd for IMWI this year. It's not big, but it's steep in the middle. Overall stats don't look too bad, but lots of first time up it coming back with WTF?!?

2016-08-24 3:52 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by DaveL Repair or replace the tire - I would replace it but I offered the patching info as an alternative, you can replace just the one tire but look at the other as well- the rear will wear faster than the front. If it is squared off I would replace it. Tire sizes - I run 32's or 35's! but popular opinion today says that 25's are faster than the 23s for you road going peeps. GP4000's always seem to be popular Rental bike - Nice rental! I wouldnt worry too much about the cassette, there might be a gap or 2 so instead of 12-13-14-15 you might have 12-13-15-16 but that 32 could be nice if the "rolling terrain" turns out to be "murderous steep uphills".

Now that you said it with the steep, is this race in Colorado? They can have a different idea of "rolling". That said, is this the event? From there it really doesn't look like trouble. If there is anything hard, it's likely to be shorter at least.

Guessing you're good with on the grade since you've done some mountain stuff recently too. Some people are learning that with the inclusion of Barlow Rd for IMWI this year. It's not big, but it's steep in the middle. Overall stats don't look too bad, but lots of first time up it coming back with WTF?!?

I'm not a great (read:fast) climber, especially on steeper grades mainly because of my size, but I seem to be pretty decent at long, gradual, grinding stuff.  Descending is my strength, descending like a dump truck!

I wonder why they put the steep climb back in IMWI that you mentioned?

2016-08-24 3:53 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by cdban66

I've ridden bicycles my entire lif. I'm not sure I've hit 1500 feet of climbing.  Just sayin'. 

LOL!!  Go over (and over and over) some bridges and maybe you'd get there, right?

2016-08-24 5:01 PM

Master
Northern IL

LOL!!  Go over (and over and over) some bridges and maybe you'd get there, right?

Parking garage?

2016-08-24 5:13 PM

Master
Northern IL

I'm not a great (read:fast) climber, especially on steeper grades mainly because of my size, but I seem to be pretty decent at long, gradual, grinding stuff.  Descending is my strength, descending like a dump truck!

I wonder why they put the steep climb back in IMWI that you mentioned?

Some road construction came in on part of the loop, so they routed it down around here. They only have to do this hill once though. I keep thinking of how there are always a number of athletes who over dramatize how tough anything is. The IM loop isn't easy, but at the same time none of the hills are crazy hard. This addition brings to mind the expression of giving one something to cry about!

The thought of the steep grades was more for familiarity than how good one may be of it. Being used to the demands of the event. A course like Quassy isn't really easy, but it was much easier to manage after doing the Horribly Hilly Hundreds century route about a month before. This shares the west edge of the IM loop and includes the Barlow section plus numerous other steep backroads climbs. All the way up to the ~850 foot ascent of Blue Mounds. Using the same gears, I wanted a few more for HHH, but had extra on Quassy so never felt overwhelmed there.

2016-08-24 10:46 PM

User image

Seattle

Ha! I'll never forget running in Florida and the course waa described as extremely hilly because there were two causeways.
2016-08-24 10:49 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle
Did you guys see Gwen is going to run NYC marathon? Side note, is anyone not running NYC this year, my goodness!
2016-08-25 12:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
so last night Phil and I managed to go through all our photos of Abbi and finally put a post on facebook about her passing away. It was very tough, but in the process we had some good laughs as we remembered different things. I also came across this photo and it would have to bee my favourite so I thought that I would share it with you in the hope that it will bring a smile to your day like it did to mine.

(abbi and Phil.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
abbi and Phil.jpg (552KB - 2 downloads)
2016-08-25 6:02 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Come to Clermont, it will take like 15 trips  but you'll get there!

2016-08-25 6:03 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK so last night Phil and I managed to go through all our photos of Abbi and finally put a post on facebook about her passing away. It was very tough, but in the process we had some good laughs as we remembered different things. I also came across this photo and it would have to bee my favourite so I thought that I would share it with you in the hope that it will bring a smile to your day like it did to mine.

haha, that's a great photo!  

2016-08-25 7:30 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed Did you guys see Gwen is going to run NYC marathon? Side note, is anyone not running NYC this year, my goodness!

Yes, did see that. Seems like a sponsor commitment, but still curious to see how she'll do. Probably fine. Run quick, but not going all in for it.

2016-08-25 7:37 AM
in reply to: amd723

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by amd723

I mapped out the Bone Island Tri before. The entire 112 miles fit inside of like +/-10 ft of sea level. The entire ride.

2016-08-25 8:15 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by Asalzwed Did you guys see Gwen is going to run NYC marathon? Side note, is anyone not running NYC this year, my goodness!

I am not.

2016-08-25 8:15 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by StaceyK so last night Phil and I managed to go through all our photos of Abbi and finally put a post on facebook about her passing away. It was very tough, but in the process we had some good laughs as we remembered different things. I also came across this photo and it would have to bee my favourite so I thought that I would share it with you in the hope that it will bring a smile to your day like it did to mine.

That is sweet. and funny.

2016-08-25 8:17 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

My friends from Naples thought the Beach to Battleship had lots of hills and there were veritble mountains at the HITS Ocala race

I mapped out the Bone Island Tri before. The entire 112 miles fit inside of like +/-10 ft of sea level. The entire ride.

2016-08-25 8:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by StaceyK

so last night Phil and I managed to go through all our photos of Abbi and finally put a post on facebook about her passing away. It was very tough, but in the process we had some good laughs as we remembered different things. I also came across this photo and it would have to bee my favourite so I thought that I would share it with you in the hope that it will bring a smile to your day like it did to mine.

It's amazing how they make themselves a part of the family. Our multipoo is mourning the loss of my Dad and now with daughter #2 going back to college yesterday he is lost. My wife caught him sitting outside of my daughter's room crying last night. He keeps checking Dad's room, and comes out looking dejected. He is having a tough week.

Edited by JBacarella 2016-08-25 8:58 AM
2016-08-25 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

She's paying attention while Dad explains stuff! :-D

2016-08-25 10:04 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

That photo is precious!  So glad you are able to laugh and smile among the tears.

2016-08-25 10:05 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by JBacarella
It's amazing how they make themselves a part of the family. Our multipoo is mourning the loss of my Dad and now with daughter #2 going back to college yesterday he is lost. My wife caught him sitting outside of my daughter's room crying last night. He keeps checking Dad's room, and comes out looking dejected. He is having a tough week.

Poor pooch.   They really attach to us and us to them.

2016-08-25 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

aww, poor guy!

2016-08-25 10:37 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Hello strangers.Been taking a bit of down from s media since my race. Getting back in to it now. Been keeping myself busy getting the winter pain cave ready and reflecting on my race, both the good parts and bad. You'd a thunk I woulda got me a race report all dun whilst (TJ) I've fad my down time but sadly not. I do have a lot to write about the race but ill try and keep it for the race report. I've missed loads since being away and sorry I didn't comment on your posts, I did read them all. Thanks for all the words of encouragement whilst I was on the race. A special thanks to Janyne on keeping everyone up to date on my progress. Sterling job, as usual.Normal service will be resumed (as in more active than normal).

(20160823_142910.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20160823_142910.jpg (2569KB - 4 downloads)
2016-08-25 11:06 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Hello strangers.Been taking a bit of down from s media since my race. Getting back in to it now. Been keeping myself busy getting the winter pain cave ready and reflecting on my race, both the good parts and bad. You'd a thunk I woulda got me a race report all dun whilst (TJ) I've fad my down time but sadly not. I do have a lot to write about the race but ill try and keep it for the race report. I've missed loads since being away and sorry I didn't comment on your posts, I did read them all. Thanks for all the words of encouragement whilst I was on the race. A special thanks to Janyne on keeping everyone up to date on my progress. Sterling job, as usual.Normal service will be resumed (as in more active than normal).

I love the pain cave, but that looks too nice for the physical and emotional abuse that is going to happen within those four walls. I was thinking a more prison like setting haha.

Edited by JBacarella 2016-08-25 11:07 AM
2016-08-25 11:27 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

That photo is precious!  So glad you are able to laugh and smile among the tears.

I absolutely love the photo! It sure does tell the story.
Once again, I'm sorry for your loss, and am glad to see you both found a way to cope and share some great memories of Abbi.
2016-08-25 11:29 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by Richardsdrr

I love the pain cave, but that looks too nice for the physical and emotional abuse that is going to happen within those four walls. I was thinking a more prison like setting haha.

^^^Brutal lol

Darren,
we are all super proud of you and thanks for letting us watch you going! Can't wait to read some details, thoughts, comments, and reflections of your adventure I hope your eye looks better!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.