BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-09-18 4:33 PM
in reply to: #5199133

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois
Mary finishes her first 70.3!!!

2016-09-18 8:49 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

Master
Northern IL

Saw some world class CX riding first hand this weekend at the Trek CXC. Jeremy Powers and Sven Nys were on hand along with National Champ Katie Compton for the women. The women are all very good, but then seeing Katie especially go in person is scary. She's just so powerfully built. Looks like she'd blast through a cement wall. Then the men, you hear speed or power numbers, but then seeing it in person. The start (hole shot) was on pavement that you could just feel the power coming off of with a false flat leading right to a grassy hill. The speed they carried over the hill made it look like they didn't slow a bit. Some lower Cat riders looked like they slowed to a relative crawl up the same thing.

Still unsure that I'll ever actually race one, but they are fun to watch. All the turns keep the course in a relatively small area. When it's well designed you can cross & get around really well, easy walking to see people up close at least several times a lap at about 7-9' a lap for this course.

Brother and his friends did alright. They put Cat 4 & 5 men together, already two of the biggest groups, and had ~112 and ~96 each day. Brother was right in the middle, one friend in the mid teens, and another made 3rd.

2016-09-19 1:01 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Atlantia

Originally posted by StaceyK

Hey Manatees do any of you wear De Soto or Coeur tri gear? I have put on a bit too much weight since I brought my tri shorts and I don't think I'm gonna be able to wear them, which sucks cause they are basically brand new.

I'm a big Coeur fan. PM me if you want to talk $$$
Yeh I must say I'm liking the price of the De Soto gear that is on sale presently, especially as the Aussie dollar is only getting about $0.70 US and then when you add the postage costs.

Normally I would go to the local tri store and buy from them but they have closed down.
2016-09-19 7:27 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Relieved and a little excited today Manatees.

Today they appointed me a new boss. She will start sometime in January with the new school year. Even better than that is that I know her, I like her, she is professional and competent and she works hard.

I seriously nearly cried with relief. Im not naive enough to think that it will be totally smooth sailing but at least everything won't be on my shoulders.
2016-09-19 8:22 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by rrrunner

Whoop whoop! Well done, Mary!
2016-09-19 8:22 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner Mary finishes her first 70.3!!!

Congratulations Mary!!

2016-09-19 8:23 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Relieved and a little excited today Manatees.

Today they appointed me a new boss. She will start sometime in January with the new school year. Even better than that is that I know her, I like her, she is professional and competent and she works hard.

I seriously nearly cried with relief. Im not naive enough to think that it will be totally smooth sailing but at least everything won't be on my shoulders.

That is really excellent news! A good boss can make the worst or situations seem tolerable. Its nice to feel like someone has your back.
2016-09-19 8:23 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Relieved and a little excited today Manatees. Today they appointed me a new boss. She will start sometime in January with the new school year. Even better than that is that I know her, I like her, she is professional and competent and she works hard. I seriously nearly cried with relief. Im not naive enough to think that it will be totally smooth sailing but at least everything won't be on my shoulders.

Good news! 

2016-09-19 9:19 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by Atlantia
Originally posted by StaceyK Relieved and a little excited today Manatees. Today they appointed me a new boss. She will start sometime in January with the new school year. Even better than that is that I know her, I like her, she is professional and competent and she works hard. I seriously nearly cried with relief. Im not naive enough to think that it will be totally smooth sailing but at least everything won't be on my shoulders.
That is really excellent news! A good boss can make the worst or situations seem tolerable. Its nice to feel like someone has your back.

x2 Agreed! A good boss makes such a difference! Though, it's still work so nothing is sunshine and roses all the time but seriously so much better for everyone :D YAY

2016-09-19 11:32 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Congrats on the new boss and Mary, on your 70.3! Those are no joke...

I was at a family wedding in NJ this past weekend and ate and drank way more than I should have. With a race coming up this weekend, how many days do you find it takes to get back to form/peak form after a binge weekend? I'm struggling with managing a taper while also trying to get my racing mojo back.
2016-09-19 12:10 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by brigby1

Saw some world class CX riding first hand this weekend at the Trek CXC. Jeremy Powers and Sven Nys were on hand along with National Champ Katie Compton for the women. The women are all very good, but then seeing Katie especially go in person is scary. She's just so powerfully built. Looks like she'd blast through a cement wall. Then the men, you hear speed or power numbers, but then seeing it in person. The start (hole shot) was on pavement that you could just feel the power coming off of with a false flat leading right to a grassy hill. The speed they carried over the hill made it look like they didn't slow a bit. Some lower Cat riders looked like they slowed to a relative crawl up the same thing.

Still unsure that I'll ever actually race one, but they are fun to watch. All the turns keep the course in a relatively small area. When it's well designed you can cross & get around really well, easy walking to see people up close at least several times a lap at about 7-9' a lap for this course.

Brother and his friends did alright. They put Cat 4 & 5 men together, already two of the biggest groups, and had ~112 and ~96 each day. Brother was right in the middle, one friend in the mid teens, and another made 3rd.

Oh, and at my brother's place the day before, I line up a high five for his ~2 yr old son when he first sees me. He runs over and kicks me in the shin.

2016-09-19 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Hey Manatees do any of you wear De Soto or Coeur tri gear? I have put on a bit too much weight since I brought my tri shorts and I don't think I'm gonna be able to wear them, which sucks cause they are basically brand new.

I wear DeSoto shorts.  My favorites right now are the 400 mile shorts.

2016-09-19 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner Mary finishes her first 70.3!!!

Congratulations Mel and Mary! 

Thank you so much for the play-by-play TJ!

2016-09-19 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

It sounds like a great time!

2016-09-19 1:08 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Oh, and at my brother's place the day before, I line up a high five for his ~2 yr old son when he first sees me. He runs over and kicks me in the shin.

That's great! LOL

2016-09-19 1:32 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by jmkizer

The videos you posted make it look good. A lot better to watch from a spectator poin of view.

2016-09-19 1:50 PM

User image

Seattle

Awesome on the Cx thing and sorry to laugh at your expense but LOL on the second note

2016-09-19 2:17 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by jmkizer

The videos you posted make it look good. A lot better to watch from a spectator poin of view.

Thanks. Think the entire area I walked around in might fit inside a football field (take your pick which type ), and could see most of the course in that.

If you remember the long one with Katie, earlier in the week, Sven Nys powered right up around that hill and jumped the barrier you can't quite see at the top by tapping the front wheel on top of it to leverage the bike over before touching the ground again. A couple Cat 3-ish guys (so decent riders at least) could barely power up it and only managed to get their front wheel stuck on that barrier. Really exemplified the difference.

2016-09-19 2:18 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Awesome on the Cx thing and sorry to laugh at your expense but LOL on the second note

It was pretty funny.

2016-09-19 5:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Originally posted by Asalzwed

It was pretty funny.

Youve gotta love how quickly a toddler can bring you down to earth.
2016-09-19 5:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
I'm wondering if any of you might be able to help me help K. She is looking for some more running tops, the problem is she needs a XXL or a 3XL and she doesn't want black as she has them already. She has a couple from skirtsports but they only do the one type that fits her and it only comes in pink and black. Any suggestions of where to start looking?

We found Juno Active but when you add the postage and convert it to Aussie $ it makes the tops over $90 each.

2016-09-19 6:58 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK I'm wondering if any of you might be able to help me help K. She is looking for some more running tops, the problem is she needs a XXL or a 3XL and she doesn't want black as she has them already. She has a couple from skirtsports but they only do the one type that fits her and it only comes in pink and black. Any suggestions of where to start looking? We found Juno Active but when you add the postage and convert it to Aussie $ it makes the tops over $90 each.

Try runningwarehouse.com  I did a quick search and saw 1 3XL shirt, it came in black and teal for $30.

2016-09-20 3:45 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by StaceyK I'm wondering if any of you might be able to help me help K. She is looking for some more running tops, the problem is she needs a XXL or a 3XL and she doesn't want black as she has them already. She has a couple from skirtsports but they only do the one type that fits her and it only comes in pink and black. Any suggestions of where to start looking? We found Juno Active but when you add the postage and convert it to Aussie $ it makes the tops over $90 each.

Try runningwarehouse.com  I did a quick search and saw 1 3XL shirt, it came in black and teal for $30.

Thanks Ann-Marie I think she found a few that she liked on there.
2016-09-20 5:42 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by amd723

Thanks Ann-Marie I think she found a few that she liked on there.

welcome!

2016-09-20 10:17 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by rrrunner

Yeeeeey!!!!! )))))
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.