BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-09-20 12:51 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois
must....resist..... Girlguide cookies

2016-09-20 1:12 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by rrrunner Mary finishes her first 70.3!!!
Fantastic!!!!!!!!!

2016-09-20 1:16 PM
in reply to: DaveL

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by DaveL must....resist..... Girlguide cookies

DOOOOO EEEETTT!!!!

2016-09-20 1:19 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by brigby1

Saw some world class CX riding first hand this weekend at the Trek CXC. Jeremy Powers and Sven Nys were on hand along with National Champ Katie Compton for the women. The women are all very good, but then seeing Katie especially go in person is scary. She's just so powerfully built. Looks like she'd blast through a cement wall. Then the men, you hear speed or power numbers, but then seeing it in person. The start (hole shot) was on pavement that you could just feel the power coming off of with a false flat leading right to a grassy hill. The speed they carried over the hill made it look like they didn't slow a bit. Some lower Cat riders looked like they slowed to a relative crawl up the same thing.

Still unsure that I'll ever actually race one, but they are fun to watch. All the turns keep the course in a relatively small area. When it's well designed you can cross & get around really well, easy walking to see people up close at least several times a lap at about 7-9' a lap for this course.

Brother and his friends did alright. They put Cat 4 & 5 men together, already two of the biggest groups, and had ~112 and ~96 each day. Brother was right in the middle, one friend in the mid teens, and another made 3rd.

Oh, and at my brother's place the day before, I line up a high five for his ~2 yr old son when he first sees me. He runs over and kicks me in the shin.

That's great! LOL

Kids! You gotta love em.

You should do this. My hubbie, the newbie, is having the time of his life. He is the oldest one of the folks who race around here and he is usually last or close to it, but he absolultely loves the whole CX scene.

2016-09-20 1:21 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Yanti-Sweets. Thank you so very much for the card. It made my day. It made Jim cry and laugh. Just as we opened it, a giant puff of Ceilidh hair came out of nowwhere. That made us both laugh!

Thankyou. {{{{{{{{ManyMelonPresses}}}}}}}}}}}}}

2016-09-20 5:57 PM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by rrrunner Mary finishes her first 70.3!!!

Awesome! Congrats Mary!!! That is amazing! 

2016-09-20 9:18 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Denver, CO

Manatees, how I've missed you!!! (Well, except for TJ and Melanie, who I just saw a couple days ago. I miss you two too, just not as much.)

Thank you SO much for all the keep it ups, go get 'ems, and woot woots, both here and on my log. It's meant so much to me to know that even though it's hard for me to be active here, I still have lots of supportive wonderful friends who get this whole silly tri thing.

Quick update: my vision is about the same as it was in January. I have to be careful about spending too much time on the computer or my phone or I end up with a nasty headache and nausea. Other stuff still bothers me too, like seeing flashing lights and sparkling water, watching snow falling, etc. Oh, and I'm still waiting for the insurance company to decide about long term benefits. It's only been since April.... On the VERY plus side, I can run and bike farther than I've ever done in my life!! It's bittersweet that my race was a year and one day after I hit my head.

Not going to write a race report so I'll give you an overview: Beautiful clear day, wind, wind, more wind, HOT. The RD said in 20 years as an athlete and 9 years as an RD, he'd never seen such extreme conditions. I'm really glad I wasn't swimming. I was getting blown around just running the first 5K and the reservoir for the swim had some serious white caps. Winds were about 20-25 mph and gusting into the 35 mph range. That made for lots of fun on the bike. The hardest part in terms of elevation gain was all with a crosswind that darn near blew me off the road numerous times. I got some serious speed on a downhill with a tailwind, though. That was awesome!  The flat tire in the first 1/2 mile was not awesome. Then there was the 2nd "run." I've been having lots of problems with ab cramps when I run after riding. IDK if it's a nutrition/hydration issue or what. Anyway, it was a problem on Sunday in spades. I walked the vast majority of the 2nd run. There were some tears, there was some swearing (might have been some of that on the bike too), and I was incredibly grateful to have TJ there to run with me at the start of each lap. I also had dearest wonderfulest Alex on his bike at various points throughout the ride and run courses. I finished with two guys who were in the tri and were also walking. One has a 4 y.o. daughter who was at the finish chute with her pink pompom and crossed the finish line with him. It was adorable!! Alex, TJ, Melanie, Melanie's sister, and numerous teammates from my tri team cheered us across the line and a teammate gave me my finisher's medal. The only thing I missed was getting to do the Slip-n-Slide at the end. It flipped over in the 45+ mph wind gust that hit just before I started my 2nd lap of the run. After a loooong walk in the heat and sun, that would have felt reeeeally good!!

All told, I went 72.2 miles in 7:44:10. My target time was 7:30 so I came pretty close. There were things I could have done better (aren't there always?), but the bottom line is that I rode farther than I'd ever gone, I never once wanted to quit or thought I might not finish, I crossed the finish line with a smile, and am already thinking about which HIM I want to do next year. If I can't swim, I'll do a relay or duathlon. Either way, I'll do it. TJ made me laugh when she said she had no doubt that I'd finish because I'm so stubborn. I'd have said determined, but I guess stubborn might fit too.

So that's it in a (very large) nutshell. I'm at my limit for computer time now so I gotta go.  Thank you again to my very favorite tri people in the whole wide world!!

2016-09-20 11:21 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK I'm wondering if any of you might be able to help me help K. She is looking for some more running tops, the problem is she needs a XXL or a 3XL and she doesn't want black as she has them already. She has a couple from skirtsports but they only do the one type that fits her and it only comes in pink and black. Any suggestions of where to start looking? We found Juno Active but when you add the postage and convert it to Aussie $ it makes the tops over $90 each.

Well FFS it's not like I sell these things or that Oscar and I are De Soto athletes or anything

I need to do a better job of marketing and representing ... I'm such a whirlwind of too many things!

Seriously, talk to me. I may even have stock here, or I can bring stuff back when I come back again in late October. Actually K can talk to me herself too so she can pick sizes/styles/colours/price range. It's actually a plus that she's plus size and wants colours--brands always have a hard time moving their gear that's on the extremes of style and size.

For you, if there's any one brand I know inside out, it's De Soto. The best, the good, the bad, the ugly, and they do have it all plus apparently yummy tequila.

2016-09-21 3:53 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

Originally posted by StaceyK I'm wondering if any of you might be able to help me help K. She is looking for some more running tops, the problem is she needs a XXL or a 3XL and she doesn't want black as she has them already. She has a couple from skirtsports but they only do the one type that fits her and it only comes in pink and black. Any suggestions of where to start looking? We found Juno Active but when you add the postage and convert it to Aussie $ it makes the tops over $90 each.

Well FFS it's not like I sell these things or that Oscar and I are De Soto athletes or anything

I need to do a better job of marketing and representing ... I'm such a whirlwind of too many things!

Seriously, talk to me. I may even have stock here, or I can bring stuff back when I come back again in late October. Actually K can talk to me herself too so she can pick sizes/styles/colours/price range. It's actually a plus that she's plus size and wants colours--brands always have a hard time moving their gear that's on the extremes of style and size.

For you, if there's any one brand I know inside out, it's De Soto. The best, the good, the bad, the ugly, and they do have it all plus apparently yummy tequila.

How did I not know this already?

I'll talk to you when I see you on Sunday.
2016-09-21 5:13 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by rrrunner

Mary finishes her first 70.3!!!

Yeah! That's a huge accomplishment!
2016-09-21 9:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

Manatees, how I've missed you!!! (Well, except for TJ and Melanie, who I just saw a couple days ago. I miss you two too, just not as much.)

Thank you SO much for all the keep it ups, go get 'ems, and woot woots, both here and on my log. It's meant so much to me to know that even though it's hard for me to be active here, I still have lots of supportive wonderful friends who get this whole silly tri thing.

Quick update: my vision is about the same as it was in January. I have to be careful about spending too much time on the computer or my phone or I end up with a nasty headache and nausea. Other stuff still bothers me too, like seeing flashing lights and sparkling water, watching snow falling, etc. Oh, and I'm still waiting for the insurance company to decide about long term benefits. It's only been since April.... On the VERY plus side, I can run and bike farther than I've ever done in my life!! It's bittersweet that my race was a year and one day after I hit my head.

Not going to write a race report so I'll give you an overview: Beautiful clear day, wind, wind, more wind, HOT. The RD said in 20 years as an athlete and 9 years as an RD, he'd never seen such extreme conditions. I'm really glad I wasn't swimming. I was getting blown around just running the first 5K and the reservoir for the swim had some serious white caps. Winds were about 20-25 mph and gusting into the 35 mph range. That made for lots of fun on the bike. The hardest part in terms of elevation gain was all with a crosswind that darn near blew me off the road numerous times. I got some serious speed on a downhill with a tailwind, though. That was awesome!  The flat tire in the first 1/2 mile was not awesome. Then there was the 2nd "run." I've been having lots of problems with ab cramps when I run after riding. IDK if it's a nutrition/hydration issue or what. Anyway, it was a problem on Sunday in spades. I walked the vast majority of the 2nd run. There were some tears, there was some swearing (might have been some of that on the bike too), and I was incredibly grateful to have TJ there to run with me at the start of each lap. I also had dearest wonderfulest Alex on his bike at various points throughout the ride and run courses. I finished with two guys who were in the tri and were also walking. One has a 4 y.o. daughter who was at the finish chute with her pink pompom and crossed the finish line with him. It was adorable!! Alex, TJ, Melanie, Melanie's sister, and numerous teammates from my tri team cheered us across the line and a teammate gave me my finisher's medal. The only thing I missed was getting to do the Slip-n-Slide at the end. It flipped over in the 45+ mph wind gust that hit just before I started my 2nd lap of the run. After a loooong walk in the heat and sun, that would have felt reeeeally good!!

All told, I went 72.2 miles in 7:44:10. My target time was 7:30 so I came pretty close. There were things I could have done better (aren't there always?), but the bottom line is that I rode farther than I'd ever gone, I never once wanted to quit or thought I might not finish, I crossed the finish line with a smile, and am already thinking about which HIM I want to do next year. If I can't swim, I'll do a relay or duathlon. Either way, I'll do it. TJ made me laugh when she said she had no doubt that I'd finish because I'm so stubborn. I'd have said determined, but I guess stubborn might fit too.

So that's it in a (very large) nutshell. I'm at my limit for computer time now so I gotta go.  Thank you again to my very favorite tri people in the whole wide world!!

I'll add some photos to Mary's RR...

The first is after her first loop on the bike, the second is her smiling finish, and the third is transition after a large gust of wind blew half of the bike racks over.

Edited by rrrunner 2016-09-21 9:41 AM

(Mary Bike.jpg)

(Mary finish.jpg)

(transition mess.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Mary Bike.jpg (129KB - 3 downloads)
Mary finish.jpg (148KB - 3 downloads)
transition mess.jpg (177KB - 6 downloads)

2016-09-21 10:43 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Congratulations Mary!!!!! This is so truly cool. I hope that things come around with your vision and head, but I really am impressed with your outlook. Keep it up!

2016-09-21 12:51 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

What a great race. Good for toughing it out. Those winds would have scared me silly.

2016-09-21 2:49 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

I am so happy for you!! Huge congrats ))))
2016-09-22 6:26 PM
in reply to: marysia83

Master
Northern IL

Dog sitting this week. Skunk sighting this week. Have only seen the skunk the same few times I've had this dog.

2016-09-23 7:35 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Mary - it was so wonderful to see you crossing that finish line!  There was little doubt that you'd do it, cramps and vision issues be damned!  I'm so very proud of you for being so diligent with your training and making it through a very challenging day.  I'm so glad I could be there to share your victorious moment with you!  Stand tall and be proud, my friend, although I know you are already doing both!  Congratulations again!

2016-09-23 7:36 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pennsylvania

Dog sitting this week. Skunk sighting this week. Have only seen the skunk the same few times I've had this dog.

Oooooh boy...  Good luck keeping the two apart!

2016-09-23 8:33 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Racing Manatees!!!

September 24-25
Justin - Stonebridge Ranch Tri (Olympic) on Saturday
Janyne - Ironman Chattanooga 144.6 on Sunday (Bib #1668)
Mary G - Chicago half marathon on Sunday

Who else is racing?

2016-09-23 8:57 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Atlantia

Racing Manatees!!!

September 24-25

Who else is racing?

A short list of racers, but what a nice mix of races!  Go Manatees Go!  

I don't want to jinx things, but yay to another week of no DL!

Thanks Laura for playing Janyne this week

2016-09-23 8:59 AM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

September 24-25

Who else is racing?

Good luck racers!

Janyne, 144.6???? Over achievers!
2016-09-23 9:11 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

No kidding, talk about race diversity. Good luck everyone! I've been checking the radar non-stop as it's showing 100% rain for my race here in Dallas on Sunday. Fingers crossed something drastic changes in the next 2 days and that we actually get to race.

2016-09-23 9:31 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Racing Manatees!!!

September 24-25

Who else is racing?

Race well everyone!!! 

Enjoy the weekend every, everyone!

2016-09-23 10:20 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

September 24-25

Who else is racing?

I saw on FB that Kevin did, in fact, find enough fuel to get Janyne to Choo. Nice job Kevin. Go Janyne!!!

Here's hoping for great weather for all racers.

Go Justin and Mary!!!

2016-09-23 11:41 AM
in reply to: melbo55

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by melbo55

Oooooh boy...  Good luck keeping the two apart!

It's gone really well. A bit surprising with how strong willed and protective/territorial this dog can be. Skunk has minded its own business. Dog perked up, but stayed right with me.

2016-09-23 12:45 PM

User image

Expert

Racing Manatees!!!

September 24-25

Good Luck Racers. It's a short list but great events.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.