BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-10-20 9:56 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Laura - YAY!!!  I'm so glad you found trail running, it's a bit addictive, no?  I love it!  Since I don't run minimalist I can't make any suggestions but I will echo what others have said about Altras in that I've heard a lot of good things about them.  I'm currently in Salomon's that have 4mm drop (which is much less than my road drop) but they've been working out OK.

Tom - I have an Adamo Road and a Cobb fifty-five if you'd like to try either one without paying the hefty price tag that goes with purchasing them or if your LBS doesn't carry either one.  I'd be willing to ship one or both of them to you to try.  If you like it, we can talk a minimal price  - if you don't like it, just ship it back.They are good saddles for some people but they just don't quite work for me.  I need something a bit wider for my sit bones.  If only I could find something wider but without the nose, I think I'd be OK...I'm still in the process of finding the Glass Slipper, too.

2016-10-20 10:02 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Laura - YAY!!!  I'm so glad you found trail running, it's a bit addictive, no?  I love it!  Since I don't run minimalist I can't make any suggestions but I will echo what others have said about Altras in that I've heard a lot of good things about them.  I'm currently in Salomon's that have 4mm drop (which is much less than my road drop) but they've been working out OK.

Tom - I have an Adamo Road and a Cobb fifty-five if you'd like to try either one without paying the hefty price tag that goes with purchasing them or if your LBS doesn't carry either one.  I'd be willing to ship one or both of them to you to try.  If you like it, we can talk a minimal price  - if you don't like it, just ship it back.They are good saddles for some people but they just don't quite work for me.  I need something a bit wider for my sit bones.  If only I could find something wider but without the nose, I think I'd be OK...I'm still in the process of finding the Glass Slipper, too.

hahaha!

2016-10-20 10:33 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I'm nearly willing to bet that we'd all be riding something along the lines of the Hobson Easy Seat if it weren't for the oddball look of the thing.

2016-10-20 11:26 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

I'm nearly willing to bet that we'd all be riding something along the lines of the Hobson Easy Seat if it weren't for the oddball look of the thing.

Not sure it's any more weird than what's been mentioned. Dash & Adamo especially.

2016-10-20 11:31 AM
in reply to: cdban66

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cdban66

Ben - Matt and Monica may be able to add to the Austin discussion, although they have both been fairly absent lately. I'll drop Monica a line and see if she can stop by if you'd like. My only Austin observation is that everyone I know that has moved there is happy, FWIW.

I'm sure my sister will find other things. It's something I find funny in how there is supposed to be lots to do and what's being posted about is essentially the same thing repeated over and over. Just at different locations.

Those two are who first came to mind in case actual questions came up.

2016-10-20 11:37 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Atlantia I did my first trail run yesterday! Just shy of 2.5 miles, complete with unexpected clambering over rocks and "that weird noise" turning out to be the waterfall. Quite amazing for this suburban girl. I have no doubts that I want to do more of this, and also no doubts that my barefoot style road shoes are not the right footwear. Any suggestions for zero drop trail shoes? Anything I should be on the lookout for? I'm not hugely confident in my LRS, and would like a bit of schooling from the trail running manatees before I head in there with my credit card!

Awesome!

I have always loved running as function of exploration and seeing new things. Trail running plays into this perfectly.

Is there a specific reason you are looking for zero drop trail shoes? They do exist but the way I would suggest approaching shoes, in general is to put some on and run in them. Choose what feels good to run in. Really, it doesn't need to be much more complicated than that in terms of the stats. The one thing you should consider with trail shoes is the type of trail you run on. This will dictate the amount/type of traction and sole you need. You can run in regular road shoes in many, many trail conditions. But things like slippery terrain and sharp rocks may require a trail specific shoe.

When you ran on the trail, what did you find you were lacking in the shoes you were wearing?

2016-10-20 12:05 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle

While we got a ton of rain, the wind ended up not being as significant of an event over the weekend so I was able to race my first cross country race of the season. I had a very different perspective this year and some fun leanings I will have to share when I have time for a RR

2016-10-20 12:12 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by Atlantia I did my first trail run yesterday! Just shy of 2.5 miles, complete with unexpected clambering over rocks and "that weird noise" turning out to be the waterfall. Quite amazing for this suburban girl. I have no doubts that I want to do more of this, and also no doubts that my barefoot style road shoes are not the right footwear. Any suggestions for zero drop trail shoes? Anything I should be on the lookout for? I'm not hugely confident in my LRS, and would like a bit of schooling from the trail running manatees before I head in there with my credit card!

Awesome!

I have always loved running as function of exploration and seeing new things. Trail running plays into this perfectly.

Is there a specific reason you are looking for zero drop trail shoes? They do exist but the way I would suggest approaching shoes, in general is to put some on and run in them. Choose what feels good to run in. Really, it doesn't need to be much more complicated than that in terms of the stats. The one thing you should consider with trail shoes is the type of trail you run on. This will dictate the amount/type of traction and sole you need. You can run in regular road shoes in many, many trail conditions. But things like slippery terrain and sharp rocks may require a trail specific shoe.

When you ran on the trail, what did you find you were lacking in the shoes you were wearing?

All of my shoes (except for the dreaded high heels that come out to play during client meetings) are zero drop. After years of general foot pain even when just walking, I've finally found the zero drop to be a good solution. I also have fairly wide feet, and I've found that the zero drop shoes also tend to have wide toe boxes, so it makes me double happy.
As for my road shoes, they are have a 4mm sole, and I can usually feel the cracks in the sidewalks. The network of trails at this park seems to favor lots of sharp pointy rocks, so before I head out there again I'd like something a bit....beefier, I guess? I feel like the flat rocks would have been quite slippery if we'd had any rain, so I guess I need to think about that as well. Does that sound like I need a trail specific shoe, or maybe just a road shoe with actual cusion?
2016-10-20 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by Atlantia

Awesome!

All of my shoes (except for the dreaded high heels that come out to play during client meetings) are zero drop. After years of general foot pain even when just walking, I've finally found the zero drop to be a good solution. I also have fairly wide feet, and I've found that the zero drop shoes also tend to have wide toe boxes, so it makes me double happy. As for my road shoes, they are have a 4mm sole, and I can usually feel the cracks in the sidewalks. The network of trails at this park seems to favor lots of sharp pointy rocks, so before I head out there again I'd like something a bit....beefier, I guess? I feel like the flat rocks would have been quite slippery if we'd had any rain, so I guess I need to think about that as well. Does that sound like I need a trail specific shoe, or maybe just a road shoe with actual cusion?

I think it sounds like the Altra might be a good match for you.  They have the Lone Peak and the Olympus. I think the Olympus has more aggressive tread for slicky areas 

2016-10-20 12:45 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Just saw that the IMNC bike has been shortened to 50 miles. This is not helping my wavering position on that race for 2017.

2016-10-20 12:52 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by rrrunner

Just saw that the IMNC bike has been shortened to 50 miles. This is not helping my wavering position on that race for 2017.

I feel really bad for the people signed up for IMNC but then I think about the people who LIVE there and their lives are in ruins..... it's a no win situation.

2016-10-20 12:58 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I feel really bad for the people signed up for IMNC but then I think about the people who LIVE there and their lives are in ruins..... it's a no win situation.

Oh no doubt. I'm sure it was the best decision. After having helped with cleanup in NO I know all too well what that devastation can look like.

2016-10-20 1:06 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

yes, it stinks all the way around! I've been through some pretty big hurricanes- like Andrew in the early 1990s, and can't imagine what people would think if local resources were diverted away from the recovery effort for some race! 

TJ, what are the odds another hurricane will the hit the area race week next year?! Please ignore the fact that there was almost one last year too, but it weakened and turned after battering the SC coast 

2016-10-20 1:18 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Originally posted by amd723

yes, it stinks all the way around! I've been through some pretty big hurricanes- like Andrew in the early 1990s, and can't imagine what people would think if local resources were diverted away from the recovery effort for some race! 

TJ, what are the odds another hurricane will the hit the area race week next year?! Please ignore the fact that there was almost one last year too, but it weakened and turned after battering the SC coast 

The Ironman site has it listed as postponed now. It just keeps getting worse. I wonder if they should move it to May, before the Hurricane season starts.
2016-10-20 1:30 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

IMTX has had the bike shortened the last two years because of flooding. It could happen

2016-10-20 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

IMTX has had the bike shortened the last two years because of flooding. It could happen

Ha, ha,  I know!   It's a tough decision for sure.

2016-10-20 1:36 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by JBacarella

The Ironman site has it listed as postponed now. It just keeps getting worse. I wonder if they should move it to May, before the Hurricane season starts.

That's interesting.  Wonder why they didn't make that decision before people started arriving??

2016-10-20 1:37 PM

Master
Northern IL

Awesome!

All of my shoes (except for the dreaded high heels that come out to play during client meetings) are zero drop. After years of general foot pain even when just walking, I've finally found the zero drop to be a good solution. I also have fairly wide feet, and I've found that the zero drop shoes also tend to have wide toe boxes, so it makes me double happy. As for my road shoes, they are have a 4mm sole, and I can usually feel the cracks in the sidewalks. The network of trails at this park seems to favor lots of sharp pointy rocks, so before I head out there again I'd like something a bit....beefier, I guess? I feel like the flat rocks would have been quite slippery if we'd had any rain, so I guess I need to think about that as well. Does that sound like I need a trail specific shoe, or maybe just a road shoe with actual cusion?

I think it sounds like the Altra might be a good match for you.  They have the Lone Peak and the Olympus. I think the Olympus has more aggressive tread for slicky areas 

I see the women's Superior back on the page today. That's the lighter trail shoe. The Lone Peak and Olympus may have different tread patterns, though both are definitely trail shoes so they should both do well. The main feature of the Olympus is more how thick it is at 36mm.

What shoes are you using now? Saw some description or feature, but not the actual shoe.

2016-10-20 1:51 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

That's interesting.  Wonder why they didn't make that decision before people started arriving??

It's a really tough call, kind of no-win. If they could have had it with a slight change in the weather, then why didn't wait longer to call it? They seem to go right up to before, trying to figure out how to have something however they can fit it in.

Did it have this kind of trouble as B2B? Thinking that's the one this was bought out for.

Edited by brigby1 2016-10-20 1:52 PM
2016-10-20 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by brigby1

It's a really tough call, kind of no-win. If they could have had it with a slight change in the weather, then why didn't wait longer to call it? They seem to go right up to before, trying to figure out how to have something however they can fit it in.

Did it have this kind of trouble as B2B? Thinking that's the one this was bought out for.

yes, this if the former b2b.  I haven't heard of any prior trouble, but I never followed the race before.  I did see where some on FB believe if it had been the old management there would have been a lot better communication with the racers. It still would have been either a shortened course or cancellation, but people would not have been left in the dark for so long. Don't know if that's true or not.  

2016-10-20 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Awesome!

I see the women's Superior back on the page today. That's the lighter trail shoe. The Lone Peak and Olympus may have different tread patterns, though both are definitely trail shoes so they should both do well. The main feature of the Olympus is more how thick it is at 36mm.

What shoes are you using now? Saw some description or feature, but not the actual shoe.

I'm in the Vivobarefoot Stealth II. I'm actually kind of sad b/c it looks like it may be getting retired. I'll add Altra's to my list of "must try on" shoes. Thanks!

2016-10-20 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

I feel awful for the people of NC. And I agree...can you imagine if a race was given priority over getting people basic necessities?! Some of the comments on the IMNC FB page are terrible. Total tunnel vision and focusing on the "customer service" aspect of everything. I'm not an RD, but I have to assume that it isn't entirely up to the RD to make these kinds of calls. The host communities are a huge part, right?

Between two years in a row of poor weather for IMMD, and this with IMNC, I am starting to think that an east coast Hurricane season race should never be on my schedule. Sure B2B had plenty of great years, and so did ChessieMan, but the weather keeps getting crazier, you know?
2016-10-20 2:14 PM

User image

Seattle

Awesome!

Makes sense, re zero drop. There are lots of options out there for trail shoes that fit this category (not to be confused with minimalist, they are not the same but are often grouped together)

It sounds to me that you are a good candidate for an actual trail shoe because they often have rock plates or at least a beefy sole that keeps you from feeling those rocks. And you are right, rocky terrain is prone to being quite slippery when wet so, traction is important. 

I'd look for a shoe that is made for those two thing (and not so much one made for mud and soft ground)

2016-10-20 2:14 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

yes, this if the former b2b.  I haven't heard of any prior trouble, but I never followed the race before.  I did see where some on FB believe if it had been the old management there would have been a lot better communication with the racers. It still would have been either a shortened course or cancellation, but people would not have been left in the dark for so long. Don't know if that's true or not.  

I would agree that there would have been better communiction if it were still B2B. The former owner of this race was (is) a GREAT race team.

2016-10-20 2:17 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Awesome!

I'm in the Vivobarefoot Stealth II. I'm actually kind of sad b/c it looks like it may be getting retired. I'll add Altra's to my list of "must try on" shoes. Thanks!

I love both the Olympus and the Lone Peak from Altra. The Lone Peak is more trail and the Olympus is more multi surface and has a bit more cushioning. Both are zero drop.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.