BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-10-20 2:30 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois

Ben, now that I have a minute:

Barton Springs: the very cool and unique river/public swimming pool. Truly a hybrid

Image result for barton springs

There is also a great system of trails in the Barton Creek greenbelt. I combined a fun run along ladybird, into the trail system and out to the pool and back once

Ladybird Lake:  (wide part of the Colorado river really)

Image result for sup lady bird lake

And speaking of Lady Bird, there is an excellent trail that goes along the shore. I think it's at least 10 miles and really beautiful for running or biking

I'm not sure how adventure-y they are or what exactly they are into but there are certainly lots of hiking a little out of the city as well.

Hamilton Pool was one place I wanted to go but haven't yet:

Image result for hamilton pool austin texas

Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge is within an hours drive as well

Image result for Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

Anyway, that's my non-Texan feedback

2016-10-20 2:54 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by melbo55

Laura - YAY!!!  I'm so glad you found trail running, it's a bit addictive, no?  I love it!  Since I don't run minimalist I can't make any suggestions but I will echo what others have said about Altras in that I've heard a lot of good things about them.  I'm currently in Salomon's that have 4mm drop (which is much less than my road drop) but they've been working out OK.

Tom - I have an Adamo Road and a Cobb fifty-five if you'd like to try either one without paying the hefty price tag that goes with purchasing them or if your LBS doesn't carry either one.  I'd be willing to ship one or both of them to you to try.  If you like it, we can talk a minimal price  - if you don't like it, just ship it back.They are good saddles for some people but they just don't quite work for me.  I need something a bit wider for my sit bones.  If only I could find something wider but without the nose, I think I'd be OK...I'm still in the process of finding the Glass Slipper, too.

I'm nearly willing to bet that we'd all be riding something along the lines of the Hobson Easy Seat if it weren't for the oddball look of the thing.

Not sure it's any more weird than what's been mentioned. Dash & Adamo especially.

Haha. Peer pressure.  Gotta love it!

2016-10-20 2:57 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Laura - YAY!!!  I'm so glad you found trail running, it's a bit addictive, no?  I love it!  Since I don't run minimalist I can't make any suggestions but I will echo what others have said about Altras in that I've heard a lot of good things about them.  I'm currently in Salomon's that have 4mm drop (which is much less than my road drop) but they've been working out OK.

Tom - I have an Adamo Road and a Cobb fifty-five if you'd like to try either one without paying the hefty price tag that goes with purchasing them or if your LBS doesn't carry either one.  I'd be willing to ship one or both of them to you to try.  If you like it, we can talk a minimal price  - if you don't like it, just ship it back.They are good saddles for some people but they just don't quite work for me.  I need something a bit wider for my sit bones.  If only I could find something wider but without the nose, I think I'd be OK...I'm still in the process of finding the Glass Slipper, too.

I was pretty hasty, and after some quick looking around, ordered an ISM PN 1.1 today.  But I'm open to trying others.  I'll PM you.

2016-10-20 3:23 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I just got back from a quick trip to Trader Joe's to partake in all things pumpkin. Pumpkin oatmeal, pumpkin cheerios, pumpkin cheesecake (that one's for DH).

My boss, who moved here from DC about a year ago, says he's never seen the fall pumpkin craze like we have here. I know that businesses like TJ's, Whole Foods and Sbux are national so I know it's not just local to us. Since we are all scattered hither and yon I thought I'd ask my favorite group, is October the start of the pumpkin craze where you live? 

2016-10-20 3:45 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner

I just got back from a quick trip to Trader Joe's to partake in all things pumpkin. Pumpkin oatmeal, pumpkin cheerios, pumpkin cheesecake (that one's for DH).

My boss, who moved here from DC about a year ago, says he's never seen the fall pumpkin craze like we have here. I know that businesses like TJ's, Whole Foods and Sbux are national so I know it's not just local to us. Since we are all scattered hither and yon I thought I'd ask my favorite group, is October the start of the pumpkin craze where you live? 

eh. SBUX has its PS and people obviously drink it, but there isn't such a craze around here for all things pumpkin.

2016-10-20 5:34 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi guys I need some help please. My sister finished her last HM in just under 2 hours (yes we told her she was a b!tch) but now she is asking how she gets faster. She is so far past my level of knowledge that I don't know how to help her. I have suggested that she see if she can find a local running club, but I'm not sure there is one in the town where they live. Any suggestions and information that you can give me to pass on to her would be greatly appreciated.

A few things your sister may want to do : incorporate hills into her runs. Hills build lung and leg strength and provide a nice basis for speed work; find her pace using a pace calculator like this one .Then she'll have an idea of what her long easy runs and track work should look like now and when she gets faster; and, do track work and or mile repeats.     

Thanks for the info everyone

They run hills pretty regularly because of where they live, but the town doesn't have a running track. I have suggested that she track down a copy of the Daniels running formula book and go from there.

2016-10-20 5:50 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

My DD2, who is a firmly entrenched millenial would be happy to change "Fall" to "Pumpkin Spice Season".

I am like your boss. Never cared, but now that she is here, I see it everywhere. Meh.

2016-10-20 6:01 PM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by StaceyK

Originally posted by StaceyK Hi guys I need some help please. My sister finished her last HM in just under 2 hours (yes we told her she was a b!tch) but now she is asking how she gets faster. She is so far past my level of knowledge that I don't know how to help her. I have suggested that she see if she can find a local running club, but I'm not sure there is one in the town where they live. Any suggestions and information that you can give me to pass on to her would be greatly appreciated.

A few things your sister may want to do : incorporate hills into her runs. Hills build lung and leg strength and provide a nice basis for speed work; find her pace using a pace calculator like this one .Then she'll have an idea of what her long easy runs and track work should look like now and when she gets faster; and, do track work and or mile repeats.     

Thanks for the info everyone They run hills pretty regularly because of where they live, but the town doesn't have a running track. I have suggested that she track down a copy of the Daniels running formula book and go from there.

I would suggest she read this book

It gets pretty technical but what I find so incredibly valuable is having a really good understanding of all the bodies "systems" that contribute to running. Then understanding the best way to train the system and make it better. Then understanding how the all come together.

Once you are armed with all of that, you don't really need a training plan. You just need to understand what your goals are then you can work backwards on how to get there and create a timeline. 

2016-10-20 6:18 PM
in reply to: #5193167

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
PPD is the main sponsor of IM NC. The event is not postponed.

Last year there was torrential rain in SC in October. That was not a hurricane or even a tropical system. It did not affect B2B.

In the eight years of B2B, there were no delays or huuiccnez or course shortening of anything.

Either the full or the half is moving to a spring date. I have heard rumors of both. I do know that my tri club president wax contacted about early entry for the half in 2017. He asked about the date and they said sonethylikd that hasn't been determined yet.

That's all I know.
2016-10-20 6:43 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
There is, as of a few years ago, Starbucks in Saigon and in my neighborhood, but I don't think they (or the other Sbucks in Asia) have pumpkin spice lattes. The flavors vary around the world according to local tastes. Pumpkin is usually seen as a vegetable here--you get it in soup and curries, not in your coffee or baked goods. That being said, the pumpkin harvest is going on right now in northern Laos. Most goes into the usual dishes (they even eat the leaves here--blech!) but there is a popular coffee shop, Joma, which offes pumpkin pie from October to Christmas time. Have already partaken a couple of times and might have one more slice before heading to the airport at noon!
2016-10-20 7:06 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer PPD is the main sponsor of IM NC. The event is not postponed. Last year there was torrential rain in SC in October. That was not a hurricane or even a tropical system. It did not affect B2B. In the eight years of B2B, there were no delays or huuiccnez or course shortening of anything. Either the full or the half is moving to a spring date. I have heard rumors of both. I do know that my tri club president wax contacted about early entry for the half in 2017. He asked about the date and they said sonethylikd that hasn't been determined yet. That's all I know.

My memory is that Hurricane Joaquin was off the east coast of Fl heading north before it turned out to sea. The historic rain SC experienced because of another front was feed by the hurricane. We were in western NC at that time and our race was cancelled b/c NC declared a state of emergency. Luckily, the weather mainly stayed away from us, but still no race  Anyway, that is the hurricane I referred to in my previous post.

Still, it's good to know that this is the only year b2b has been affected. Moving the race to the spring is interesting (if it happens).

storm

2016-10-20 7:07 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmkizer

PPD is the main sponsor of IM NC. The event is not postponed.

Last year there was torrential rain in SC in October. That was not a hurricane or even a tropical system. It did not affect B2B.

In the eight years of B2B, there were no delays or huuiccnez or course shortening of anything.

Either the full or the half is moving to a spring date. I have heard rumors of both. I do know that my tri club president wax contacted about early entry for the half in 2017. He asked about the date and they said sonethylikd that hasn't been determined yet.

That's all I know.

My bad. I, sometimes, take complete responsibility for my ignorance.
2016-10-20 7:29 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Ben, now that I have a minute:

Barton Springs: the very cool and unique river/public swimming pool. Truly a hybrid

There is also a great system of trails in the Barton Creek greenbelt. I combined a fun run along ladybird, into the trail system and out to the pool and back once

Ladybird Lake:  (wide part of the Colorado river really)

And speaking of Lady Bird, there is an excellent trail that goes along the shore. I think it's at least 10 miles and really beautiful for running or biking

I'm not sure how adventure-y they are or what exactly they are into but there are certainly lots of hiking a little out of the city as well.

Hamilton Pool was one place I wanted to go but haven't yet:

Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge is within an hours drive as well

Anyway, that's my non-Texan feedback

Pretty adventurous in variety as they would look into all of that, thanks! They just wouldn't do a run or ride quite as big as either of us.

Will be saving things for me to do too. One time she asked if I would come visit. Drew quite a look when I hesitated on answering. 

2016-10-20 7:36 PM

Master
Northern IL

Thanks for the info everyone They run hills pretty regularly because of where they live, but the town doesn't have a running track. I have suggested that she track down a copy of the Daniels running formula book and go from there.

It gets pretty technical but what I find so incredibly valuable is having a really good understanding of all the bodies "systems" that contribute to running. Then understanding the best way to train the system and make it better. Then understanding how the all come together.

Once you are armed with all of that, you don't really need a training plan. You just need to understand what your goals are then you can work backwards on how to get there and create a timeline. 

That's the book! It's not one to just power right through. Works better to read a section, maybe just part of one, and take it in to understand it. It's also good to go back and read over things again too. I've read through it several times over the past few years. Each time something new seems to click or something old fits in a little better.

I like how plans are given in there, but there is a lot of flexibility to them too. He'll give times or some time range to run in the colored general plans. There are guidelines in the race specific ones, but not so much specific daily runs all the time. More semi-guided than a specific blueprint. When the earlier chapters sink in more, it's not really difficult to move pieces around either. Like shortening up the harder days to better fit in with earlier guidelines on the hard to easy ratios. Or how I struggled with 3 hard runs a week, but worked out fitting in 2. Possibly switching blue hard days into the red if you don't want to run the blue plan volume. Or vice versa if that seems to be the work you need.

2016-10-21 12:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Thanks guys.

I have sent her the link. I don't think that it being technical will bother her as she is a Maths and Science teacher. She is going to see if the local library has it, which I doubt and if not she might get it for Christmas.

Edited by StaceyK 2016-10-21 12:08 AM
2016-10-21 1:09 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by Hot RunnerThere is, as of a few years ago, Starbucks in Saigon and in my neighborhood, but I don't think they (or the other Sbucks in Asia) have pumpkin spice lattes. The flavors vary around the world according to local tastes. Pumpkin is usually seen as a vegetable here--you get it in soup and curries, not in your coffee or baked goods. That being said, the pumpkin harvest is going on right now in northern Laos. Most goes into the usual dishes (they even eat the leaves here--blech!) but there is a popular coffee shop, Joma, which offes pumpkin pie from October to Christmas time. Have already partaken a couple of times and might have one more slice before heading to the airport at noon!
I'll take the coconut cake in the Thailand SBUX over pumpkin spice any day. Yummmmm. Oh, and moon cakes. I bet you get moon cakes? The Starbucks in Vietnam are not company owned. We are a joint venture with Maxim Group. A JV can often have very, very different offerings. Particularly food items. Sometimes for the better though.

2016-10-21 7:44 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

We are more purists here. Pumpkins... just plain pumpkins. We grow them here big time. Pumpkins and apples. These are just a couple of the places that sell them on my drive to my pool.

(fall 4.jpg)

(fall 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
fall 4.jpg (40KB - 3 downloads)
fall 2.jpg (45KB - 4 downloads)
2016-10-21 8:43 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ceilidh

We are more purists here. Pumpkins... just plain pumpkins. We grow them here big time. Pumpkins and apples. These are just a couple of the places that sell them on my drive to my pool.

Ha ha ha, cute roadside scenes, Robin!

TJ - I think pumpkin spice ___(fill in the blank)_____ has always been somewhat of a thing but now that even more attention has been brought to it via memes, social media, etc. poking fun of pumpkin spice everything I swear I see even more than ever in things that have no business being pumpkiny.  Of course the 'standards' of pumpkin pie and pumpkin rolls are on the shelves at grocery stores, bakeries and markets.  Not to mention the myriad roadside stands selling pumpkins, squash and gourds. They are everywhere!

Edited by melbo55 2016-10-21 8:51 AM
2016-10-21 8:50 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

I humbly present to you the list of racy manatees this week in the colors of the changing leaves in the vacationing Janyne's stead :

October 22-23

Kirsten - Rock 'n' Roll Vancouver 10k on Saturday
Kirsten - Rock 'n' Roll Vancouver half marathon on Sunday
Dave - Hardwood Halloween Hustle 10km trail run on Sunday

October 22 is Stacey's birthday - happy birthday!

Is anyone else racing?  My apologies if anyone was missed!

Disabled List - empty, I think, right?  YAY!!!!

Edited by melbo55 2016-10-21 8:51 AM
2016-10-21 8:56 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

I humbly present to you the list of racy manatees this week in the colors of the changing leaves in the vacationing Janyne's stead :

October 22-23

Love the fall colors!

Kirsten - enjoy your races! Dave - hustle hustle!
Happy birthday to Stace Face
2016-10-21 8:58 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

I live in the burbs outside DC, and I feel like we're overrun with pumpkin spice. Trader Joe's especially has taken it to the next level. But I've also seen boutique kind of food shops getting into the action: pumpkin spice macarons, pumpkin spice gelato, and pumpkin spiced edamame come to mind. I like apples and pumpkins and their accompanying spices, but I don't get what all the fuss is about. Marketing gone wild.

2016-10-21 8:59 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

October 22-23

Very nice job filling in for Janyne! 

Go Kirsten, you have 2/3ds of the races this weekend! 

Dave wins the award for best alliteration race !

Go get 'me you 2!!

And Happy Birthday Stacey!!

Edited by amd723 2016-10-21 9:01 AM
2016-10-21 9:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Yeah, Daniels is a pretty sweet book.  Definitely one of the core pieces of my endurance sports library.

2016-10-21 9:52 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by Atlantia

October 22-23

Love the fall colors! Kirsten - enjoy your races! Dave - hustle hustle! Happy birthday to Stace Face

Good luck to all the racers, and happy birthday to Stacey!

2016-10-21 11:55 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by ceilidh

I grew up in the country (said in country bumpkin accent) and had a pumpkin patch every year that I had to plant and maintain and then sell. I then used my pumpkin proceeds to buy my winter coat each year.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.