BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-11-27 9:22 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois
Originally posted by ponderingfox

Ladies and gentleman, I will have a new bike to add to the bike gallery soon.  Should have a blue on white 2014 Cervelo P2 arriving this week, I hope.

Congratulations!

2016-11-27 9:30 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by JBacarella

So my mom and I went to do the 5k yesterday morning.  We hadn't registered ahead of time, and were planning to register on site.  Once we got there, we found out that on-site registration was $40!  We both decided we would rather keep our $40.  I don't think I've seen a 5k cost that much, even being on-site.  I was ok with paying $35, but something about that jump to $40 seemed like too much.

I agree. I thought about doing the Turkey Trot in Cleveland Thursday morning, and was shocked when I saw the price was $40.00. I was too exhausted to run and things were a little up in the air at that time. We have had another rough week. My wife has been in a colitis flare for almost two years and in about a week and a half ago, it became severe. We went to Cleveland Clinic in the Spring after being referred by her GI. We met with a GI MD and surgeon then. They attempted the last medical treatment to get the disease under control. They tried another biologic that costs $16,000.00 per infusion. It failed and she became dangerously ill. She emailed the GI and surgeon last Thursday. On Friday the Surgeon called and told her to be in Cleveland on Tuesday and they would do a complete colectomy on Wednesday. We have been in Cleveland since Monday night and everything went as scheduled. The surgery went about twice as long as expected because her large intestine was so infected. Fortunately, they could do it all laparoscopicly. She is still in the hospital and we are hoping for discharge tomorrow. She is doing well after the surgery and everything is healing correctly. We have a new Thanksgiving tradition of Thanksgiving Sushi. Our younger kids came down with us. Fortunately Michigan State had an away game, so the older girls could join us for the entire weekend. I am looking forward to getting home tomorrow and having life return to yet another new normal. I'm kind of tired of 2016.
Wow! Just WOW! I am so glad the surgey was successful and you all are doing so well. Sushi is an excellent tradition! May you have may Thanksgivings of sushi to come.

2016-11-28 4:59 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Have fun, racers! Just recalled--gulp--that although I am not actually racing this weekend, the reason I am not racing is because I am running day of race registration and T-shirt sales for the local Terry Fox run, which generally has over 20,000 people. That ought to count as racing, right?!

20,000 people????? Wow, that's a whole lot of runners!!!
2016-11-28 6:18 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by ceilidh

So my mom and I went to do the 5k yesterday morning.  We hadn't registered ahead of time, and were planning to register on site.  Once we got there, we found out that on-site registration was $40!  We both decided we would rather keep our $40.  I don't think I've seen a 5k cost that much, even being on-site.  I was ok with paying $35, but something about that jump to $40 seemed like too much.

I agree. I thought about doing the Turkey Trot in Cleveland Thursday morning, and was shocked when I saw the price was $40.00. I was too exhausted to run and things were a little up in the air at that time. We have had another rough week. My wife has been in a colitis flare for almost two years and in about a week and a half ago, it became severe. We went to Cleveland Clinic in the Spring after being referred by her GI. We met with a GI MD and surgeon then. They attempted the last medical treatment to get the disease under control. They tried another biologic that costs $16,000.00 per infusion. It failed and she became dangerously ill. She emailed the GI and surgeon last Thursday. On Friday the Surgeon called and told her to be in Cleveland on Tuesday and they would do a complete colectomy on Wednesday. We have been in Cleveland since Monday night and everything went as scheduled. The surgery went about twice as long as expected because her large intestine was so infected. Fortunately, they could do it all laparoscopicly. She is still in the hospital and we are hoping for discharge tomorrow. She is doing well after the surgery and everything is healing correctly. We have a new Thanksgiving tradition of Thanksgiving Sushi. Our younger kids came down with us. Fortunately Michigan State had an away game, so the older girls could join us for the entire weekend. I am looking forward to getting home tomorrow and having life return to yet another new normal. I'm kind of tired of 2016.
Wow! Just WOW! I am so glad the surgey was successful and you all are doing so well. Sushi is an excellent tradition! May you have may Thanksgivings of sushi to come.

I hope she feels well soon, and that her new normal is much better.

2016-11-28 6:36 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
It is crazy. I actually ended up leaving before the race, as we had so many volunteers in that area that they couldn't even all fit. Something lost in translation with another organization, and we both ended up being asked to run registration and shirts!

Was also having asthma problems--pollution levels have been through the roof for the last few days. I think it is field burning or rubbish burning or both--just seems like for hours every day and night, it smells like burning something. I'm not the only one at work who has mentioned waking up in the middle of the night and noticing a horrid burning smell. Not always a natural something, like wood or leaves or stalks from the rice harvest, either. There is some field burning every year, but this year the smoke/smog has more of a chemical tinge. My lungs feel like crap. I guess asthma is sort of like free altitude training. Even chlorine in the pool triggers low-grade symptoms for me. My tris are usually either right by the ocean and/or in the Pacific Northwest where there are usually few of my triggers, so it's a big mental and physical boost when I can breathe properly!

2016-11-28 11:39 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Has anyone scored any good Cyber Monday deals? I plan on picking up a Garmin Vivoactive as a bday gift for my pops on Amazon. I'm still shopping around for anything else I'm likely to buy before tri season starts again so I can save some $.

2016-11-28 11:47 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Wow, you guys have had a rough 2016!  2017 has to be better!!  Hope your wife continues to do well.

2016-11-28 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Ladies and gentleman, I will have a new bike to add to the bike gallery soon.  Should have a blue on white 2014 Cervelo P2 arriving this week, I hope.

Congrats!  I love my P2 -2012 black and red version for me.

2016-11-28 11:52 AM
in reply to: TXTriRook

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by TXTriRook Has anyone scored any good Cyber Monday deals? I plan on picking up a Garmin Vivoactive as a bday gift for my pops on Amazon. I'm still shopping around for anything else I'm likely to buy before tri season starts again so I can save some $.

I haven't, but I haven't been looking to much either  Pre black Friday and Cyber Monday I bought the Garmin 920xt on a huge sale and black Friday I got a good deal on the profile design aero HC  hydration system. I think that's it for my triathlon needs.  

2016-11-28 12:55 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by TXTriRook Has anyone scored any good Cyber Monday deals? I plan on picking up a Garmin Vivoactive as a bday gift for my pops on Amazon. I'm still shopping around for anything else I'm likely to buy before tri season starts again so I can save some $.

I haven't, but I haven't been looking to much either  Pre black Friday and Cyber Monday I bought the Garmin 920xt on a huge sale and black Friday I got a good deal on the profile design aero HC  hydration system. I think that's it for my triathlon needs.  

I'm still waiting to hear back from Road ID on a question but I'm going to try to switch to a band with a clasp so I can remove it more easily

My "big" cyber Monday deal purchase was  hot pot from Amazon. Only tri related in the healthy cooking sense, but it's a rice cooker, steamer, slow cooker and pressure cooker all in one.

2016-11-28 1:01 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

James - So sorry to read of the health issues for your wife. Wow, you really have had a rough 2016. I love that the 2 of you have a new Thanksgiving tradition, I'm sure it will mean quite a bit to you both as the years pass.

2016-11-28 1:02 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Cool! Congratulations.

2016-11-28 1:03 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I was fourth in my AG at the turkey trot on Thursday. I'm pretty happy about that, even if it's just because all the fasties were home getting ready for a big feast.

2016-11-28 3:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

I am so tempted by the 920.  I have a 235, but I don' t like that it only has three data screens.  After having the 310 and the 910, going to three fields from four feels so constricting.  However, the sales have also chopped the resale value of the 235, so I'm wondering whether to keep it or sell it.  At this point I wish I had just kept my 910 and not bought the 235.

2016-11-28 3:42 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner

I was fourth in my AG at the turkey trot on Thursday. I'm pretty happy about that, even if it's just because all the fasties were home getting ready for a big feast.

congratulations! And you are part of the tastiest!!

2016-11-28 3:45 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

I am so tempted by the 920.  I have a 235, but I don' t like that it only has three data screens.  After having the 310 and the 910, going to three fields from four feels so constricting.  However, the sales have also chopped the resale value of the 235, so I'm wondering whether to keep it or sell it.  At this point I wish I had just kept my 910 and not bought the 235.

im very happy with the 920, but if I had just purchased a watch like the 235, I don't know if I could justify to myself buying it! Did you sell your 910? I still have both my 310 and 910!!

2016-11-28 3:54 PM

User image

im very happy with the 920, but if I had just purchased a watch like the 235, I don't know if I could justify to myself buying it! Did you sell your 910? I still have both my 310 and 910!!

I also LOVE my 920. Can't imagine ever having to replace it/upgrade. I just bought a pair of Hoka's which is having 25% off, even applicable to some of their sale items. Score!
2016-11-28 3:56 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I am so sorry to hear that your wife has been so ill. 

Her support at IM Lou was already impressive and now I am doubly impressed!  

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.  Sending speedy recovery thoughts your way!

2016-11-28 3:58 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I'm still waiting to hear back from Road ID on a question but I'm going to try to switch to a band with a clasp so I can remove it more easily

My "big" cyber Monday deal purchase was  hot pot from Amazon. Only tri related in the healthy cooking sense, but it's a rice cooker, steamer, slow cooker and pressure cooker all in one.

Oh, the Instapot!  I have heard good things about that!

2016-11-28 3:59 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Congratulations!

2016-11-28 4:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

The 310 died from water damage (kinda, it still works, but won't sync).  I sold the 910 to get the 235.  I was entranced by the idea of going from a HR monitor + GPS to just one device.  Buuuut now I wish I had just kept my last set up.  This was all precipitated by my drowning my Fitbit Charge HR and wanting to consolidate to just one device. Oi.

2016-11-28 5:15 PM

Master
Northern IL

The 310 died from water damage (kinda, it still works, but won't sync).  I sold the 910 to get the 235.  I was entranced by the idea of going from a HR monitor + GPS to just one device.  Buuuut now I wish I had just kept my last set up.  This was all precipitated by my drowning my Fitbit Charge HR and wanting to consolidate to just one device. Oi.

Tom, do you use your watch for everything? I was fine going from the 310 to the 210 (4 to 3) and was fine with it, but only used it for running. I have a separate bike computer as 4 wouldn't be nearly enough! (Plus the mapping)

2016-11-29 5:37 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Originally posted by brigby1

Tom, do you use your watch for everything? I was fine going from the 310 to the 210 (4 to 3) and was fine with it, but only used it for running. I have a separate bike computer as 4 wouldn't be nearly enough! (Plus the mapping)

I use it mainly for running, but I do use it for all three.  Though I have an Edge 500 on the bike that I mainly use for that.

When running, I'm used to seeing time, pace, distance, and HR.  Now I have to give up one of those.  Each of those feels vital.  Of course, I could set up a second screen to scroll to that would have the extra data.

2016-11-29 7:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Hi guys do any of you have a Garmin wireless cadence sensor? If you do can you tell me the thickness of it?
The sensor to my old bike computer doesn't fit between my crank and my frame so I'm looking at alternate options.
2016-11-29 8:35 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by StaceyK

Hi guys do any of you have a Garmin wireless cadence sensor? If you do can you tell me the thickness of it?
The sensor to my old bike computer doesn't fit between my crank and my frame so I'm looking at alternate options.

we have one at home if no one gets to it first for you.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.