BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 86

2016-08-25 12:42 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois
Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by fortissimo Congrats, Randee!!

Congratulations!  15:43:26 WOO HOO!

YAY! Way to go! I hear the weather was not ideal ... to say the least, but that's Ironman - great job out there! 

Thanks for the good vibes guys. I totally felt you all pulling for me and that's how I was able to survive My goal was to take an hour and a half off my total time from last year (15:05) but instead I added about 40 minutes to my run (swim and bike exactly the same). The weather was a total schit show - although I'm not really one to blame weather. I was hanging on pretty good until lap 2 of the run and then my stomach started to hurt - not really sure why. Chicken broth and pretzels saved the day. I tell you what, people say "try the chicken broth" but unless you NEED it, you don't understand why.

I'm still processing in my head what went right, what went wrong and of those things what could I control. I think I'll take 2017 off from IM and maybe go back in 2018.

back to work today. race report in a few days.

Darren I'm glad to see you back too - I was following your adventure. When you got stung I wanted to send you some antihistamines a la Hunger Games - you know how they sent medicine to Kat in the game via little parachute! I was pulling for you!!

In other news, we need to pull off this Steve charity miles. Was everyone ok with me ordering those jelly bracelets or would you rather shirts or hats or headbands?

2016-08-25 12:53 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Hello strangers.Been taking a bit of down from s media since my race. Getting back in to it now. Been keeping myself busy getting the winter pain cave ready and reflecting on my race, both the good parts and bad. You'd a thunk I woulda got me a race report all dun whilst (TJ) I've fad my down time but sadly not. I do have a lot to write about the race but ill try and keep it for the race report. I've missed loads since being away and sorry I didn't comment on your posts, I did read them all. Thanks for all the words of encouragement whilst I was on the race. A special thanks to Janyne on keeping everyone up to date on my progress. Sterling job, as usual.Normal service will be resumed (as in more active than normal).

Welcome back Darren, that was quite the adventure; can't wait to read about it!

2016-08-25 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Darren, it is truly good to see you, as I was thinking of you whilst in the pool this morning. I was going to message you direct like if I didn't hear from you soon. I am in awe of the work you put in to get as far as you did. the more I read from other folks, the more scared I got. What an EPIC ride!

2016-08-25 12:55 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

YAY! Way to go! I hear the weather was not ideal ... to say the least, but that's Ironman - great job out there! 

Thanks for the good vibes guys. I totally felt you all pulling for me and that's how I was able to survive My goal was to take an hour and a half off my total time from last year (15:05) but instead I added about 40 minutes to my run (swim and bike exactly the same). The weather was a total schit show - although I'm not really one to blame weather. I was hanging on pretty good until lap 2 of the run and then my stomach started to hurt - not really sure why. Chicken broth and pretzels saved the day. I tell you what, people say "try the chicken broth" but unless you NEED it, you don't understand why. I'm still processing in my head what went right, what went wrong and of those things what could I control. I think I'll take 2017 off from IM and maybe go back in 2018. back to work today. race report in a few days. Darren I'm glad to see you back too - I was following your adventure. When you got stung I wanted to send you some antihistamines a la Hunger Games - you know how they sent medicine to Kat in the game via little parachute! I was pulling for you!! In other news, we need to pull off this Steve charity miles. Was everyone ok with me ordering those jelly bracelets or would you rather shirts or hats or headbands?

Congrats again! Weather can be a major factor in racing, so you don't have to blame it, it just is!  

I think I missed the post about the jelly bracelets, but I'm good with anything.

2016-08-25 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks for the good vibes guys. I totally felt you all pulling for me and that's how I was able to survive My goal was to take an hour and a half off my total time from last year (15:05) but instead I added about 40 minutes to my run (swim and bike exactly the same). The weather was a total schit show - although I'm not really one to blame weather. I was hanging on pretty good until lap 2 of the run and then my stomach started to hurt - not really sure why. Chicken broth and pretzels saved the day. I tell you what, people say "try the chicken broth" but unless you NEED it, you don't understand why. I'm still processing in my head what went right, what went wrong and of those things what could I control. I think I'll take 2017 off from IM and maybe go back in 2018. back to work today. race report in a few days. Darren I'm glad to see you back too - I was following your adventure. When you got stung I wanted to send you some antihistamines a la Hunger Games - you know how they sent medicine to Kat in the game via little parachute! I was pulling for you!! In other news, we need to pull off this Steve charity miles. Was everyone ok with me ordering those jelly bracelets or would you rather shirts or hats or headbands?

Stellar job!  All the training in the world cant control the weather!

2016-08-25 12:57 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Richardsdrr Hello strangers.Been taking a bit of down from s media since my race. Getting back in to it now. Been keeping myself busy getting the winter pain cave ready and reflecting on my race, both the good parts and bad. You'd a thunk I woulda got me a race report all dun whilst (TJ) I've fad my down time but sadly not. I do have a lot to write about the race but ill try and keep it for the race report. I've missed loads since being away and sorry I didn't comment on your posts, I did read them all. Thanks for all the words of encouragement whilst I was on the race. A special thanks to Janyne on keeping everyone up to date on my progress. Sterling job, as usual.Normal service will be resumed (as in more active than normal).

Welcome back!

2016-08-25 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

(1) Does that mean B2B half? ;-)

(2) Jelly bracelets are fine.

2016-08-25 1:46 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

actually DH (who rocked IMMT with a 12:0something) wants to do another full so I suggested B2B in 2017 so I could do the half! It's real possibility!

2016-08-25 1:56 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jmkizer (1) Does that mean B2B half? ;-)

actually DH (who rocked IMMT with a 12:0something) wants to do another full so I suggested B2B in 2017 so I could do the half! It's real possibility!

I'm anxious to see what WTC does with the event.  I mean, do they need B2B and Maryland and Chattanooga and Louisville all within a month of each other in the same region?  Will they keep both the half and full at B2B?  What about the date?

2016-08-25 4:00 PM

Master
Northern IL

I'm anxious to see what WTC does with the event.  I mean, do they need B2B and Maryland and Chattanooga and Louisville all within a month of each other in the same region?  Will they keep both the half and full at B2B?  What about the date?

They'll generally keep all the ones that have strong attendance, so keep an eye on that. They haven't done "need" so much as go where people will show up. West Coast would have the greater need for more events, but it's harder to do out there. Other than that, it would be a place may really not want them there.

2016-08-25 9:04 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by StaceyK so last night Phil and I managed to go through all our photos of Abbi and finally put a post on facebook about her passing away. It was very tough, but in the process we had some good laughs as we remembered different things. I also came across this photo and it would have to bee my favourite so I thought that I would share it with you in the hope that it will bring a smile to your day like it did to mine.
It's amazing how they make themselves a part of the family. Our multipoo is mourning the loss of my Dad and now with daughter #2 going back to college yesterday he is lost. My wife caught him sitting outside of my daughter's room crying last night. He keeps checking Dad's room, and comes out looking dejected. He is having a tough week.

aww, poor guy!

Yeah our other two older dogs are a bit the same. They get up and go looking around the house in the couple of rooms where Abbi liked to be and then they come back and lay down with a big heavy sigh. Phil and I find that a bit hard to cope with.

2016-08-25 9:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
our run shirts for the weekends race finally turned up today. I know "nothing new on race day", but too bad Im sure it will be fine its pretty loose and doesn't seem to rub anywhere.

It could be a bit of an "EPIC" weekend (sorry Chris) as K and I pick up Mum and E from the plane tonight and they can turn any weekend into an epic weekend without throwing a HM into the mix.

Edited by StaceyK 2016-08-25 9:14 PM

(run shirt.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
run shirt.JPG (95KB - 3 downloads)
2016-08-25 9:21 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by amd723

Welcome back Darren, that was quite the adventure; can't wait to read about it!

Great to see you're back Darren (and your front is pretty good too )
I love your pain cave - did you build it?
2016-08-25 9:27 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by JBacarella
Originally posted by StaceyK so last night Phil and I managed to go through all our photos of Abbi and finally put a post on facebook about her passing away. It was very tough, but in the process we had some good laughs as we remembered different things. I also came across this photo and it would have to bee my favourite so I thought that I would share it with you in the hope that it will bring a smile to your day like it did to mine.
It's amazing how they make themselves a part of the family. Our multipoo is mourning the loss of my Dad and now with daughter #2 going back to college yesterday he is lost. My wife caught him sitting outside of my daughter's room crying last night. He keeps checking Dad's room, and comes out looking dejected. He is having a tough week.

That is too sad

2016-08-26 7:15 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Congrats on the IM! Still can't wrap my head around how people do the full. (And today my boss was telling me how I should be able to do one no problem because Sister Madonna does them and she's what....86? 85? Yikes!) I'm glad you were able to persevere despite bad weather--that is a long time to be out in it.

Still wondering if/how I could do some kind of Steve tribute at Worlds without running afoul of the ten zillion rules there.
2016-08-26 8:04 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by brigby1

They'll generally keep all the ones that have strong attendance, so keep an eye on that. They haven't done "need" so much as go where people will show up. West Coast would have the greater need for more events, but it's harder to do out there. Other than that, it would be a place may really not want them there.

I'm sure that the Wilmington YMCA that owned B2B until recently included something in the contract to keep it around longer than just this year.  

2016-08-26 9:17 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I like the bracelet idea as well.

2016-08-26 9:18 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Hot Runner Congrats on the IM! Still can't wrap my head around how people do the full. (And today my boss was telling me how I should be able to do one no problem because Sister Madonna does them and she's what....86? 85? Yikes!) I'm glad you were able to persevere despite bad weather--that is a long time to be out in it. Still wondering if/how I could do some kind of Steve tribute at Worlds without running afoul of the ten zillion rules there.

I sure hope you can do something. Even simpply wearing something with meaning.

2016-08-26 9:47 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Thanks for the good vibes guys. I totally felt you all pulling for me and that's how I was able to survive My goal was to take an hour and a half off my total time from last year (15:05) but instead I added about 40 minutes to my run (swim and bike exactly the same). The weather was a total schit show - although I'm not really one to blame weather. I was hanging on pretty good until lap 2 of the run and then my stomach started to hurt - not really sure why. Chicken broth and pretzels saved the day. I tell you what, people say "try the chicken broth" but unless you NEED it, you don't understand why.

I'm still processing in my head what went right, what went wrong and of those things what could I control. I think I'll take 2017 off from IM and maybe go back in 2018.

back to work today. race report in a few days.

Darren I'm glad to see you back too - I was following your adventure. When you got stung I wanted to send you some antihistamines a la Hunger Games - you know how they sent medicine to Kat in the game via little parachute! I was pulling for you!!

In other news, we need to pull off this Steve charity miles. Was everyone ok with me ordering those jelly bracelets or would you rather shirts or hats or headbands?

I can't wait for your report! Great job! Sorry about the weather and stomach issues :/
2016-08-26 9:48 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Hot Runner Congrats on the IM! Still can't wrap my head around how people do the full. (And today my boss was telling me how I should be able to do one no problem because Sister Madonna does them and she's what....86? 85? Yikes!) I'm glad you were able to persevere despite bad weather--that is a long time to be out in it. Still wondering if/how I could do some kind of Steve tribute at Worlds without running afoul of the ten zillion rules there.

I sure hope you can do something. Even simpply wearing something with meaning.

Can you write something on your body, or is that against the rules as well?
2016-08-26 9:50 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

August 27-28
Eric - Chicago Lifetime Fitness Super Sprint on Saturday
Melanie - North East Triathlon - Sprint Course on Sunday
Mary G - Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance (A-Race!) on Sunday
Stacey - City2Surf half marathon on Sunday
Anne - Dan Adair Memorial Sprint Triathlon on Sunday

Any other racers?

2016-08-26 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Racing Manatees!!!

August 27-28

Any other racers?

YAY! lots of racers - have a great time out there and may you achieve the goals you set for yourselves! :D 

2016-08-26 10:23 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Racing Manatees!!!

August 27-28

Any other racers?

Go Racers!!! Have fun!!

I know I promised Stacey I will keep her HM run in my mind when racing. I am just wondering what the time difference is between her and Chicago (in case she's already done when I'm still waiting at the swim start ;p) In any case - I will be mentally with all of you guys on Sunday And with Eric tomorrow
2016-08-26 10:31 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Denver, Colorado
Just a quick follow up on the road vs. tri shoes: I need to buy those today, because the awesome 40% off deal expires this weekend. I decided to buy shoes today and get the rest of stuff later (I will obviously not use the shoes until I get pedals, etc). I already talked to the guy from our NU bike group about fitting, and he will help and guide me with all the cleats & pedals.

So regarding tri vs. road: is the only advantage of tri shoes the quicker on/off in transition? And ventilation? For another few years I am planning to do Sprint and Oly triathlons only, and that's gonna be no more than 4 per year. I am planning to bike to/from work as much as I can during the year (weather permitted), and that's around 13 miles one way max. I would love to do 100 miles bike next year (or the following year, depending how well I can prepare). So that's all in regards to plan and use of the shoes. If the price is the same, and I can only go with one pair for now, which one would be better?
2016-08-26 10:58 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by marysia83 Just a quick follow up on the road vs. tri shoes: I need to buy those today, because the awesome 40% off deal expires this weekend. I decided to buy shoes today and get the rest of stuff later (I will obviously not use the shoes until I get pedals, etc). I already talked to the guy from our NU bike group about fitting, and he will help and guide me with all the cleats & pedals. So regarding tri vs. road: is the only advantage of tri shoes the quicker on/off in transition? And ventilation? For another few years I am planning to do Sprint and Oly triathlons only, and that's gonna be no more than 4 per year. I am planning to bike to/from work as much as I can during the year (weather permitted), and that's around 13 miles one way max. I would love to do 100 miles bike next year (or the following year, depending how well I can prepare). So that's all in regards to plan and use of the shoes. If the price is the same, and I can only go with one pair for now, which one would be better?

Tri shoes have lacing setups to help get them on & off faster, particularly while on the bike. They are often intended to be worn sockless. This could make a size difference for some. Some people have only liked the fit with or without socks, not necessarily both. They tend to have more ventilation though not all do. Especially on these last two, consider that you want to use them for commuting and as the weather gets colder.

To me, some of this gets overblown in importance. I tape over some of the vent holes in my shoes for cooler weather and did not notice that I forgot to remove it when things wamed up. I also tend to be more susceptible to heat than others. Not needing socks is to save a few seconds in transition.  Up to you if that's worth it. Comfort of that is very individual. I was a bit meh, but others just love it. I did use a pair of tri shoes for a few races, but was only ok with going sockless in them. I tried leaving them on the bike for mounts & dismounts, but ended up not being too comfortable with that as other people are all over the place. Especially out of T1. I got in, but the alleged really clear areas don't necessarily happen the same with a race best bike split coming from the last wave in. Constantly have people everywhere. Crowding could look different to someone more in the middle.

ETA: I think there might be some more tri shoes that actually have both bolt hole patterns in them than road shoes. Not sure if it's really lots of them though.

Edited by brigby1 2016-08-26 11:03 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2016 - Manatee à trois Rss Feed  

of 86

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Mentors Needed - INSTRUCTIONS

Started by Ron
Views: 11077 Posts: 1

2006-12-20 4:55 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.