General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wrong Shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-02 9:25 AM

Sarasota, Florida
Subject: Wrong Shoes
I had a gait test done and was told my pronation is good but I am somewhat of a heel striker. I couldn't resist an impulse purchase on running shoes marked $160 at Sports Authority advertised as 50% off which rang up to be $90 somehow, but after arguing for 10 minutes gave up and bought them anyway. Liquidation sale. All sales final. At the store they felt great however after breaking them in about 12 miles worth I noticed my feet feel like their being forced inwards a hair and develop some mild heel and knee pain after 4 miles or so. I thought I was crazy so researched more on the Asics Surveyor 3 but sure enough, these are designed for overpronators. Did I completely screw up or is this something I can adapt to? Worst case scenario I'll just make them evening casual shoes.

2016-08-02 10:51 AM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Durham, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Wrong Shoes
I have no idea if you can get used to them or not, but I recommend shoekicker . com if you need to search for something else. I searched shoes that fit my running style and plugged them into that site and got the cheapest one that I liked the looks of. Check it out if you decide you need something else. Although if you need to get another running analysis I recommend buying from the store that does it for you.
2016-08-02 11:37 AM
in reply to: Lupy

Sarasota, Florida
I usually buy shoes in 2's or 3's. I buy one, if I like them I go back and buy 2 or 3 more, but I have always purchased trail running shoes and wanted to go for my first pair of road. I did buy my first 2 pairs from the shop that did the analysis. I'm just surprised anyone would design shoes like this because they start to feel like a fun house after 4 miles. Is overpronating that common? I'll give them a go for a few weeks and see if the pain disappears. Thanks.
2016-08-02 5:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I hope the gait test wasn't done at the same store you bought the shoes! I've had a bad experience with that setup and so have several runner friends. It seems like some unscrupulous stores use the "test" (which they may not be knowledgable about interpreting) to steer people into more expensive shoes. In particular, those shoes seem to have a lot of motion control and often are designed for heavier runners. In my case, they claimed I had "weak ankles" (odd, I've never had problems with them in 37 years of running!) and suppinated (which I do--slightly knock-kneed when I run, especially when really tired, but it's never caused serious problems). They pushed me into some shoes which then proceeded to cause a lot of problems (calf fatigue, sore back and hips) that I'd never had before. I was seeing a PT for an unrelated issue and asked for his opinion on the shoes. He thought they were totally wrong for my body--much too inflexible for my size (about 115 pounds) and the "motion control" was such that I couldn't go through my natural stride which, he pointed out, although it may not look particularly beautiful, has gotten me through 30-some years of running with very few overuse injuries. He felt like the lower-end, sturdy, neutral Sauconys I usually run in were fine, as long as I kept up strength and flexibility work to keep things balanced.

I think if the shoes feel wrong, trust your body. Don't try to "get used" to them. Find someone your size who would like them and sell them or give them away. (What I ended up doing with my offending shoes. Gave them to a heavier colleague who does pronate, and she loved them.) Or, as you mentioned, just use them as casual shoes if they feel okay for walking around in.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-08-02 5:26 PM
2016-08-02 6:21 PM

Sarasota, Florida
yeah, I don't think they're going to work. I've had em on all day and now have a mild pain from the heel radiating up along the outer side of my calf to the outsides of my knees. Didn't realize there were so many hidden options. The store that did my analysis put me in shoes I love this was just done on my own prerogative which was a mistake.

Edited by runtim23 2016-08-02 6:22 PM
2016-08-27 9:52 AM

User image

, British Columbia
I am a conservative in shoes.
I love nike , I have a pair i run in 2-3 times a week at the moment im doing 5 miles as my longer run ( use trainer http://jonsguide.org/best-top-nike-free-trainer-5-0-reviews/)and I also have a pair for work and a pair for just casual wear,they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned and I've owned a few ! You will need to build up slowly, You will feel it in your calfs but once you are used to them there is no going back.

Edited by streem26 2016-08-27 9:53 AM

2016-08-27 5:13 PM
in reply to: streem26

User image

Expert
Floriduh
When I was first running my LRS put me in Brooks Adrenalines. I logged many miles in various pairs of Adrenalines until I got the wild idea to pick up a pair of Asics on sale. Within 2 weeks severe Achilles pain that took months rehabbing. Now i'm much more careful when considering new shoes.
2016-08-27 7:18 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yep. I have worn Saucony pretty much all my running life, since stumbling upon a pair that made my feet happy at (I think) age 13 or 14. Before that, I always had issues with too-narrow toe box that caused blistering. Plus a lot of other brands seem to have arches that are too high or in the wrong place for my feet and make my knees hurt. Have pretty much always stuck to that brand since despite, rather awkwardly, twice running on Nike-sponsored teams (in college and while working in Taiwan). Ended up working out an agreement that I would race in Nikes and wear their kit, but still train in Saucony. The coaches were not happy about it, but every time I trained in Nikes, I ended up with blisters and sore knees. They just don't work for my body. Now that I buy my own running shoes, they are always Saucony. I've tried on a few other brands over the years, but don't think I have ever bought them (for running). Have only had a few bad pairs, and that was more of a fit issue--between sizes in a certain model, or a few times mistakenly buying pair of their motion control shoes. I would say that it's best to be conservative with shoes--go with what feels right and what has worked for you.
2016-08-28 3:36 AM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

I had issues for years with running shoes designed to 'correct' my overpronation as well as custom made insoles but have constantly suffered from running related injuries.  Since going to a trusted running shop with properly trained staff I have been using neutral shoes without any arch support and have had very few problems.  Their opinion is that there is no correct way of running and trying to make your body conform to something it is not designed to do will cause more problems than it will solve.  This makes sense to me given I have been walking and running since ~1 year old without any kind of correction.

2016-08-30 9:30 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I hope the gait test wasn't done at the same store you bought the shoes! I've had a bad experience with that setup and so have several runner friends. It seems like some unscrupulous stores use the "test" (which they may not be knowledgable about interpreting) to steer people into more expensive shoes. In particular, those shoes seem to have a lot of motion control and often are designed for heavier runners. In my case, they claimed I had "weak ankles" (odd, I've never had problems with them in 37 years of running!) and suppinated (which I do--slightly knock-kneed when I run, especially when really tired, but it's never caused serious problems). They pushed me into some shoes which then proceeded to cause a lot of problems (calf fatigue, sore back and hips) that I'd never had before. I was seeing a PT for an unrelated issue and asked for his opinion on the shoes. He thought they were totally wrong for my body--much too inflexible for my size (about 115 pounds) and the "motion control" was such that I couldn't go through my natural stride which, he pointed out, although it may not look particularly beautiful, has gotten me through 30-some years of running with very few overuse injuries. He felt like the lower-end, sturdy, neutral Sauconys I usually run in were fine, as long as I kept up strength and flexibility work to keep things balanced.

I think if the shoes feel wrong, trust your body. Don't try to "get used" to them. Find someone your size who would like them and sell them or give them away. (What I ended up doing with my offending shoes. Gave them to a heavier colleague who does pronate, and she loved them.) Or, as you mentioned, just use them as casual shoes if they feel okay for walking around in.

I believe the statement of "I think if the shoes feel wrong, trust your body. Don't try to "get used" to them" is the most important. I am definitely a bigger runner and have been recommended the Brooks Beast before and my body absolutely hated them. On the other hand I have taking a real liking to the Zoot TT series and have had really good success staying injury free along with those and my Hoka's mixed in.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wrong Shoes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Symptoms of wrong-sized shoes?

Started by Ringo
Views: 1394 Posts: 3

2010-07-20 1:45 PM TriAya

Did I buy the wrong shoes?

Started by rexcoltrain
Views: 1478 Posts: 21

2008-09-11 9:55 AM tabbs

TRI SHOES SPECIALIZED Trivent Triathlon Shoe

Started by gammy999
Views: 741 Posts: 2

2006-02-23 11:51 AM Daremo

Triathlon shoe or road shoe?

Started by Dtraining
Views: 1580 Posts: 14

2006-02-01 9:48 AM davidb

Shoes or no shoes

Started by supplymtnbkr
Views: 575 Posts: 2

2004-08-13 10:02 AM PGoldberger
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you
date : November 2, 2011
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : March 23, 2011
What could be causing the pain on the top of the foot at the toes? Here are some easy ways to find the cause and possibly end the pain.
date : October 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
People who range from casual exercisers to competitive athletes are eating at the wrong times, choosing the wrong balance of carbohydrates, protein, and fat, and drinking too little fluids.

date : July 5, 2005
author : bflrich
comments : 1
What makes the difference between success and failure is not how often you fall but how often you rise. Next time you’re chewing that second cookie and you realize it’s not what you planned on...STOP!