General Discussion Triathlon Talk » who runs at lunch time and goes back to work ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-02 1:40 PM

User image

Subject: who runs at lunch time and goes back to work ?

Or anytime during the workday ?  I don't know how you do it.  I am a disgusting soaked with sweat mess when I'm done.  It takes me awhile to stop perspiring afterward.  I could take a shower and 10 mins after toweling off I'd still look like I just got out of the shower.  I type this sitting at my desk wearing suit and tie minus the jacket disgusted with myself because I can't stop sweating.

Anyone have any tips for future.  I've tried cold showers, cold towels and cranking up the AC in the car on the way back to the office. 

You light sweaters are lucky.

2016-08-02 1:59 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Subject: RE: who runs at lunch time and goes back to work ?
I sweat a lot, but I run during lunch. We have showers at work, so take a cold shower then sit in my office with the fan blowing on my back while I eat. Are you drinking cold water after you run? I find that cools me off pretty quickly.
2016-08-02 2:03 PM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Sometimes.  Today I took a cold shower, grabbed a popsicle for the ride back and cranked the AC in the car.  Still sweaty.  Took me about another 30 mins after getting back to where I don't feel like I'm perspiring through my shirt.

2016-08-02 2:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, Colorado
I do. I have athletic facility next to my building and I change my outfit there and then take a shower after running. If my run was shorter and I feel like I have time, I go to sauna first and then take shower. I found that sauna actually helps me cool down.
Maybe give it couple of days to see how your body adjust? I also noticed that A/C does not help me decrease sweating at all. I am not an expert, but my *theory* is that you don't want a drastic change in temperature, but rather a gradual cooldown. Maybe try that?
(I also hate light sweaters )

Edited by marysia83 2016-08-02 2:10 PM
2016-08-02 2:13 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Jealous! Can sneak in a swim and get back fairly quickly, but running/sweating is out of the question.
2016-08-02 2:26 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I do more when it's cooler outside. Being in a northern climate it's easier in November than in July. In the warmer months i'll run home instead (it's about 10k) so i can be sweaty when i get home.

Also, we recently got telework two days a week so i can joyously run and get all sweaty and not have to change when i get back. I am home by myself and can log into teleconferences without being seen. It's awesome! 

2016-08-02 2:32 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Originally posted by marysia83 I do. I have athletic facility next to my building and I change my outfit there and then take a shower after running. If my run was shorter and I feel like I have time, I go to sauna first and then take shower. I found that sauna actually helps me cool down. Maybe give it couple of days to see how your body adjust? I also noticed that A/C does not help me decrease sweating at all. I am not an expert, but my *theory* is that you don't want a drastic change in temperature, but rather a gradual cooldown. Maybe try that? (I also hate light sweaters )

This has been going on for years.  I don't have time for the gradual cool down.  Typically have to get back to the office in a hurry.   

I wish I belonged to a gym near by because like you if I can sit in sauna or whirlpool I'll be fine after a shower.  Maybe I'll have coffee ready for post run pre shower at home.  Plus as someone else mentioned I could swim at lunch and not worry.  My gym is a good 20 min drive each way from work

2016-08-02 2:33 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Originally posted by juniperjen

I do more when it's cooler outside. Being in a northern climate it's easier in November than in July. In the warmer months i'll run home instead (it's about 10k) so i can be sweaty when i get home.

Also, we recently got telework two days a week so i can joyously run and get all sweaty and not have to change when i get back. I am home by myself and can log into teleconferences without being seen. It's awesome! 

Jealous.  Even in the winter here I'm still a mess.

2016-08-02 2:50 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I run around 3 in the afternoon during the winter so by the time I get back to my desk no one cares that I'm still in a hat and running clothes.
2016-08-02 3:01 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

That's something I never thought about before.  I may give that a shot. 

2016-08-02 3:02 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I have a locker room at work. Generally, I do my run and outside the locker room is a long hallway that is always cold with low humidity. I walk back and forth and drink cold water until my HR gets below 100. Once I get to this point, I'm not super overheated anymore. I take a cool shower and get dressed right in front of 2 fans. Once I'm dressed, I walk without stopping to my office where I have a small desk fan. Unless I've really pushed things, I don't sweat too much once I get back to my desk.

2016-08-02 3:03 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
I typically run about an hour during my lunch. I am a sweaty mess and pretty gross when I'm done. We don't have showers and there are no clubs close by.

What works best for me is to completely wipe down using cold water. I also have a special fiber towel that I soak and then place on my stomach, then back which cools me down. Once I'm "clean" I will use deodorant and a powder that I sprinkle on chest and back before putting on the undershirt.

There are a few days when it is really hot that it does seem impossible to cool down.

Why do I go through all this? I work better and have less stress when I take a running break during the day.
2016-08-02 4:54 PM

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

Yep.  I try to pull off the nooner (not the cool kind) a couple times per week.  Really try to keep it to 30 minutes tops so I can stay in the cold shower for at least ten minutes. 

I wear a suit and tie too and my key to cooling off is blasting the AC for my 5 minute drive back to the office and have the air go up my arm sleeves.  Weird.  I know, but it helps.  And I have a hand towel in my car to keep wiping off the sweat.  That seems to help.

No matter what though, I still have a major case of swamp a$$ for about an hour after I get back to my office.

2016-08-02 5:25 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Or anytime during the workday ?  I don't know how you do it.  I am a disgusting soaked with sweat mess when I'm done.  It takes me awhile to stop perspiring afterward.  I could take a shower and 10 mins after toweling off I'd still look like I just got out of the shower.  I type this sitting at my desk wearing suit and tie minus the jacket disgusted with myself because I can't stop sweating.

Anyone have any tips for future.  I've tried cold showers, cold towels and cranking up the AC in the car on the way back to the office. 

You light sweaters are lucky.

I am a heavy sweater guy and it is 90+ deg F and high humidity right now on my lunch breaks.  Yes I have done the cold shower thing after running on my lunch break and been sweaty again when I got to the office.  To avoid being sweaty I have to stop my run 10 minutes early and cool down (indoors) before showering and heading back to the office.  The gym I go to has a 100m track so I can cool down walking the track, but this could be down walking anywhere cool.  I mostly stick to swimming over my lunch break.  Especially in hot humid climates in August, but do run or do the stationary bike when I need to get a run or bike session in.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2016-08-02 5:30 PM
2016-08-02 8:19 PM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I work in downtown Houston and run some at lunch along the Bayou. VERY HOT AND HUMID! I'm completely soaked with sweat after about 10-minutes. Here's what I do:

1. Try and leave a little earlier than most people for lunch.
2. Change in the bathroom on my floor. If I'm lucky, I get the handicap stall....lot's of room!
3. Stash my clothes in my office and take the elevator down to the basement, leaving the building through the tunnels.
4. Run along the Bayou.....usually somewhere between 30 & 50 minutes.
5. Quit the run where I have about a 5-minute cool down walk back to the office.
6. Elevator back up, and sit around my office working, still in my running clothes, sitting on a hand-towel, for about 15 minutes.
7. After the cool-down and sit around time....I'm about done sweating.
8. Back to the bathroom for a clothes change. I bring an extra hand-towel and dry off all my wet parts.I also keep deodorant in my bad and reapply when I'm changing.
9. Back to work.

Unless you've got some wacky diet or condition, fresh sweat does not equal stink. Aged sweat, after the bacteria have had a chance to sprout = stink. I feel fine just a few minutes after I change and have never had anyone complain about any sort of odor or issue. I've asked my wife to give me a sniff test a few times after I've gotten home, and she never notices any problems.

When I first started working downtown, I used to walk 8 or 10 blocks over to the YMCA, run on the treadmill, and shower after. By the time I walked back to the office in the summer heat, I was completely drenched. I like this new method much better, as I do very little sweating after I've changed back into work clothes.

Edited by g_shotts 2016-08-02 8:21 PM
2016-08-02 8:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Westchester, NY
Ill go do a crossfit session at lunch. Or just a gym session. I have been known to jump in a pool during my lunch time.

2016-08-02 8:32 PM
in reply to: louamerica

User image

Bronze member

I used to teach pre-k a long time ago. I went for a run at lunch one day and rolled my ankle. I had it propped up on a chair with an ice pack when a little boy in my class got dropped off early. He looks at the ice pack and asked what happened. I explained I was running and hurt myself. Next question "Who you be running' from? Why they be chasin' you?" 

Sorry, not relevant to your question but it was pretty funny at the time. 

I quit running at lunch after that!

2016-08-03 11:00 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
I have a gym right across the street from work. I can run on a trail outside of work/gym or on a dreadmill, swim in either the 3 lane 25m indoor pool or 3 lane 25m outdoor pool (which also has a more shallow area for kids - so I risk swimming into fun noodles) or they have exercise bikes.
For the first time last week I brought my trainer with me and rode in the gym parking lot at lunch (don't know why I've never done this in the past) and I was soaked. Dallas/Ft. Worth in July is hot.
Anyway, I have found that the best way for me to get cool the quickest is to take a warm shower, not cold. I think by taking a cold shower my body is using a lot of energy to warm itself back up. I also try and sit on a bench inside the locker room for just a minute or two to give my HR a chance to go down before trying to get a towel, go to shower stall, etc.
Same in the morning when I run before work. Even at 4:40am it's humid and 78-84 degrees outside. So I take just a few minutes to do absolutely nothing and then take a warm shower and that helps me from sweating for the next 30 minutes on my way to work.
2016-08-03 1:43 PM

User image

, North Carolina
I have done lunch runs quite a bit this year. It's really my only option. It wasn't a problem until it got really hot and humid. I also do my swims at lunch. I found that I sweat more after the shower when I swim than when I run.

I'm shirt and tie here too. It's a pain but it part of the gig.

I usually borrow a gym towel till the next day to keep the sweat wiped from my brow. Between that and the cool ride back to the office I'm usually good to go.

Ever thought about bringing a spare under garmits to change into after the sweating is all over?

2016-08-04 8:59 AM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Veteran
I'm a bit of a sweat mess as well, but after my runs I do some core work (about 10-15 min) and that brings my heart rate down enough where I'm not profusely sweating. There are still times when I'm sweating going back to the desk, but I have a small towel there to keep me "cool".

The funny thing is that I'm always cold anyway (I'm one of "those people" who turn on the heater at their desk when it's 95 degrees outside) so it doesn't take me long to cool off once the HR gets down. Personally, I think that's the key.
2016-08-04 9:40 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by happyscientist I sweat a lot, but I run during lunch. We have showers at work, so take a cold shower then sit in my office with the fan blowing on my back while I eat. Are you drinking cold water after you run? I find that cools me off pretty quickly.

The fan is key!  Get a good desk fan.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » who runs at lunch time and goes back to work ? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

1st Lunch Time Work-out!!!!

Started by freeriders98
Views: 1667 Posts: 17

2011-03-08 7:22 AM GottaSki

Hill work or Endurance work for Bike Time?

Started by dar89
Views: 1766 Posts: 9

2010-05-25 10:56 AM dar89

Lunch Time Work Outs

Started by Malgal
Views: 1007 Posts: 16

2009-09-12 11:45 AM Baowolf

Need help: motivation after baby and going back to work

Started by stormjen
Views: 892 Posts: 9

2007-11-26 6:42 AM BrianO

Work Out Now, Ache Later: How Your Muscles Pay You Back (NY Times article)

Started by jguar
Views: 1298 Posts: 3

2004-11-28 8:39 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?