Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Crowdsourcing illustration ideas for a book Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-02 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Subject: Crowdsourcing illustration ideas for a book

Tri friends,

My name is Brandon.  Haven't been on here in a long while!  I basically burned myself out training for Ironman in 2008.  Hey, I'm still recovering!  Huge respect to folks who keep tackling that challenge.

But I digress... I wrote a children's book called Daddy Tries several years ago. I sent it to dozens of publishers, but none saw the same potential I did.  So after being disheartened and disappointed, I have rekindled my enthusiasm and decided to publish it myself.  I engaged the services of a professional illustrator that is going to make the story come to life.  See her work on Hammer and Nails and you can see why she is doing this project with me!

Sure, I have plenty of ideas about what certain scenes might look like, but I'm just one person.  So I am turning to the collective BT to see what resonates with the very crowd the book is aimed to entertain.  Who knows, you might have the idea for an element or illustration that makes it to the final draft.

To give you an idea of what we're working with, here are a couple early concept sketches.  The plan for illustrations in Daddy Tries is to highlight a child watching and helping a role model (dad) hit his proverbial stride.  Gangly dad turns into fit guy.  Lots of fun moments between the two main characters.  And plenty of opportunities to poke fun at triathletes in a "you know you're a triathlete when" kind of way.  Think excessive amounts of quinoa and nutella in the pantry, a red bike, a car that looks like an official transition zone, and getting in a quick core workout while the kids are at soccer practice.

For example:
My daddy tries a bath with ice. His legs are feeling battered.                                                                                                                                                               I bring him cocoa in the tub.  His teeth just click and chatter.

- what might be going on in the background? what quintessential thing does the triathlete have in the bathroom that makes you chuckle?

I'm documenting progress of the project at Daddy Tries . I set up a FB page as well so I can leak storyboard sketches or thumbnails along the way. I hope there's an interactive feel to it at some point. I hope you might feel like participating in my little humorously insightful quest to make a beautiful book.

If you read this far... thank you very much!!

~B

(transition sketch.png)

Attachments
----------------
transition sketch.png (113KB - 12 downloads)

2016-08-02 3:38 PM
in reply to: getsome

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Crowdsourcing illustration ideas for a book

I have no creativity at all, so I can help much.  Good luck with your project!  Soon you'll have the makings for the sequel - Daddy tries to publish a children's book.

And it's Assistant to the Regional Manager, right?

2016-08-04 8:07 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Expert
St. Louis

Thanks, Hook'em!  I've been told that if people find out you've recently moved to Texas, the best answer you could possibly give is, "I got here as soon as I could."

But in other news... I got some more preliminary sketches back and things are really taking shape.

Here's a specific question for the group: 

In the book, the main character hears about triathlon, and wants to try.  What is the scene that depicts his "Aha!" moment?  A flyer in a mailbox?  Road closure during a Sunday drive? 

Thanks,

B

(IMG_0040.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0040.PNG (132KB - 12 downloads)
2016-08-04 9:09 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
My personal "aha" moment to do a triathlon was after drinking too much rum with my brother and letting him talk me into it....so probably not good for a children's' book.

Triathletes tend to be quite proud of themselves; give them lots of fodder to feel that way, and you'll sell a lot of books (that's not meant to sound as snarky as it probably does, but it's honest).

Finally, the picture below was on my Instagram feed quite a while back and it always struck me. I think it is a powerful image and perhaps one you can illustrate in your book.

(IMG_1507.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_1507.PNG (516KB - 14 downloads)
2016-08-05 2:16 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
I vote for the sign announcing road closure.

Love the pic above and it reminds me of something I saw and still laugh about from IMFL (where I was a spectator only). I was at the finish line and saw a man's daughter helping him step down from a curb. We thought, "Bless him. He made it 140.6 miles but that 4 inch curb is a killer."

My "aha" moment was watching 11 to 15 year old boys and girls wear pink socks at a cross country championship in memory of the coach's late wife who passed away from breast cancer. Decided that if young boys would voluntarily wear pink socks and teenage fashion-conscious girls would risk clashing with their blue and gold uniforms, then I could run a race in memory of her.

Good luck on the book!
2016-08-05 2:20 PM
in reply to: #5193771

User image

Expert
St. Louis
Thank you for the thoughts and feedback. Duly noted!
~brandon

2016-10-24 2:21 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

Back with an update!

Lots of progress has been made.  Illustrations are coming along great, and I am slowly making progress in sorting out the best Print On Demand (POD) options for me and Daddy Tries.

enjoy the sneak peek.

Thanks,

Brandon

(IMG_0080.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0080.JPG (185KB - 14 downloads)
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Crowdsourcing illustration ideas for a book Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need book ideas!

Started by TriRx
Views: 1885 Posts: 24

2012-06-21 9:48 PM Stillmanji

New Kindle need book ideas Pages: 1 2

Started by KathyG
Views: 1974 Posts: 32

2011-11-23 10:40 PM wenceslasz

BT book club: Come pick out a new book

Started by aquagirl
Views: 897 Posts: 4

2011-06-17 7:33 AM Cuetoy

Triathlon book/project ideas

Started by newbz
Views: 571 Posts: 1

2010-05-16 8:56 PM newbz

books books books

Started by stina76
Views: 1032 Posts: 4

2003-11-25 8:26 PM Michael
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 30, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 0
The perfect holiday gift for the triathlete in your life...

date : November 29, 2011
author : vagus
comments : 3
A retrospective of how I lost 140 pounds and started a love affair with triathlon.
date : October 31, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
Resources you can trust to improve your endurance sport diet

date : December 24, 2008
author : mrakes1
Discussions on sweet snacking ideas, protein ideas for vegetarians, premenstrual cravings, eating with a cold, bodybuilding to triathlete and feeling tired.
date : December 11, 2007
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : October 3, 2007
author : Ontherun
An inspirational biography about one of endurance sports early pioneers, David McGillivary, race director for the Boston Marathon.
date : January 29, 2006
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
“Too bad there’s not anything like this for triathletes.” There are a million books and articles on how to train. One of the toughest parts of triathlon training is how to fit them into everyday life.