General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run hydration belts, thoughts, experiences, recommendations? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-03 10:53 AM

Subject: Run hydration belts, thoughts, experiences, recommendations?
So, I'm regularly running longer distances now.
And when it's hot, my usual water sources of drinking fountains just aren't enough...or are too far apart.
I've taken to carrying two bottles of bottled water...and I'm pretty sure this last time it messed up my shoulder as it changes what I'm doing with my arms.

I never wanted one of those handheld bottle rigs with the hand strap because I thought it would mess me up. So, the numbskull that I am...I've taken to carrying bottles. Same thing, but probably worse. To be fair, my plan...in line with my cheapskateness...was to get a waist belt carrier from Sports Authority during their closeout because the good ones, are apparently not cheap. Missed the window. First time I went, nothing was marked down enough. By the time I went back...they were sold out.

I tried one once on clearance...the bigger bottle that goes behind the back version. The belt was comfy enough, but the bottle was not nearly secure enough. I even tried rubber bands.

So...I'm thinking I'll go with one of the ones with the multiple smaller bottles...like flask-size.

Looking for one. 2? 4? Are the 4 ones removable? So I can go with 2 or 3? 4 seems like a lot of "stuff" that will annoy me. 2 doesn't seem enough. Those bottles are small.

Feel free to chime in with any gripes or praise on the brands that are out there.

2016-08-03 11:18 AM
in reply to: jhaack39

Bismarck, ND
Subject: RE: Run hydration belts, thoughts, experiences, recommendations?
I have used the Nathan brand. I have the one where you can carry 2 20 oz bottles on your back. It bounces around a bit but not too bad. But lately, I have been using a smaller camelback and I love it. It has a 50 oz bladder. I was hesitant to drink out of that bladder but it stays cooler a lot longer and doesn't bounce around at all. It also doesn't rub like i thought it would. I also have a Nathan fuel belt that carries 1 20oz bottle for shorter runs but have not used this much lately since most of my runs are a lot longer.

I actually bought my camelback back pack because I needed something for the bike on my long rides. It really works well and I have enough water supply for about 60 mile rides.
2016-08-03 11:35 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
I have a Nathan belt that has 4 10 oz bottles. I like being able to have water, sports drink, and/or electrolyte drink based on the duration of the run.
2016-08-03 11:36 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

I started out with a belt that had 4 small bottles. It was ok, but didn't carry a lot of fluid. And I often dropped them when trying to put them back into the elastic holsters. The velcro has worn out and doesn't stay attached anymore, so in the middle of my runs it would just rip apart and fall off. I've since gotten an ultimate direction vest which has room for a bladder in back, 2 bottles in front if you want on the shoulder straps, and I'm happy as a clam. It doesn't bounce around, it fits nice and snug, there's plenty of room for fuel/phone, etc. I always wear it now out of habit.

2016-08-03 11:51 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by trijamie

I started out with a belt that had 4 small bottles. It was ok, but didn't carry a lot of fluid. And I often dropped them when trying to put them back into the elastic holsters. The velcro has worn out and doesn't stay attached anymore, so in the middle of my runs it would just rip apart and fall off. I've since gotten an ultimate direction vest which has room for a bladder in back, 2 bottles in front if you want on the shoulder straps, and I'm happy as a clam. It doesn't bounce around, it fits nice and snug, there's plenty of room for fuel/phone, etc. I always wear it now out of habit.

Is that what you've got in your avatar there?
2016-08-03 12:32 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

For quite a while I used a Camelbak waist belt that held one full sized bottle. I was never thrilled with the bounce but it was tolerable. As my long runs started geting regularly longer I switched to a Nathan hydration pack and I love it. As mentioned above, the water stays cooler longer and there is plenty of room for nutrition, phone, car key etc. The bladder holds 2 liters and there are front pockets if I want to add a couple flask sized bottles.

2016-08-03 12:47 PM

User image

I have a Nathans (trail ?) belt.  it's ok.  I really don't like carrying anything in my hands when I run.  The bottles are small.  The one I have holds two 10 oz.  It will get me through a 10-13 mile run unless it's really hot out.  It bounces around some.  If I have it tight on my waist it's manageable.  Biggest gripe is full bottles leak.  Maybe a 2/3's full bottle will not.  If I start the run with full bottles my shorts will get pretty wet in the back. 
Never tried the backpacks but friends who use them typically like them a lot. 

2016-08-03 12:50 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by Atlantia
Originally posted by trijamie

Is that what you've got in your avatar there?

Yep!
here's a link to the product page:  https://ultimatedirection.com/sj-ultra-vest-2-0/

Seriously, I almost feel naked running without it now. There's no way I could have done my long runs in the past year without it, especially in the brutal heat. I keep pain killers, inhaler, extra chocolate, pepper spray depending on where I'm going, plenty of water so I can go way out into the middle of nowhere. 

2016-08-03 1:29 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
I have a Nathan backpack. I like it. You can have two small (10oz) bottles up front and you can either use a bladder or put a 22 oz bottle in the back. I prefer just having a bottle in the back personally. It's light, doesn't chafe, and is small enough to not get in the way. It got me through 14 miles in the heat of Texas this morning. I highly recommend it.

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (101KB - 6 downloads)
2016-08-03 1:30 PM
in reply to: #5193942

Bismarck, ND
I looked at that Ultimate direction pack but I was concerned about getting hot because of the wider straps. Do you find that you get too hot with it? I don't notice any difference with my smaller camelback but the straps are small.
2016-08-03 2:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by brreems I looked at that Ultimate direction pack but I was concerned about getting hot because of the wider straps. Do you find that you get too hot with it? I don't notice any difference with my smaller camelback but the straps are small.

lol, it's a little hard to determine if the vest makes me too hot because when you run in Texas, you're hot no matter what you're wearing. Actually I always fill it with ice cubes and the skin on my back goes numb.

ETA- I also used to run with a camelback, 70 oz i think,  but I traded up because even 70 oz wasn't enough. The added ability to carry 2 bottles on the shoulder straps in front is the best thing about it.

Edited by trijamie 2016-08-03 2:46 PM

2016-08-03 4:52 PM

Alrighty then. Must look at the bladder/vest thingies.
Just wish they didn't cost ~$100.
2016-08-03 5:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Carrying water is a big issue for me here--unlike in a developed country, one can't stop to refill from a tap, since the tap water's not drinkable. I also hate handhelds, the vests are too hot, and frankly, those waist belts with the smaller flasks would last me less than an hour in tropical conditions! They do make waist belts that hold two bottles; the trick is finding one that fits you comfortably and holds the bottles securely enough that they don't bounce. I have owned probably eight of those. I have been happy with two--an REI product called the Double Shot (not sure if it is still being made) and one from the North Face (it just says Flight Series on it, but that is a big series of products, not a model name). With both of these, I can comfortably carry two 16 or 20 oz bottles, which around here is maybe enough for a 1:30 to 1:40 run. (Any more and I have to stop by the house to refill.) I have used the latter belt in races; in fact, I qualified for Worlds running with the North Face pack. So I can testify it doesn't slow you down! Nathan supposedly makes a double pack--I love their single bottle belts and would love to get their double--but I have never seen it in stores or been able to order it online. Always seems to be out of stock when I check.

I also had a double bottle pack from GoLite (they specialize in flash packing and trail running gear) that would have been awesome if I could have adjusted the waist just a tiny bit smaller than it would go. (I'm a skinny woman with a small waist--"one size fits all" doesn't always fit us!) It was lighter than the other packs and probably would have been more comfortable--if it had fit. If your waist is bigger than 25 inches, this shouldn't be an issue!

I'd suggest you broaden your search from the running area of stores or running/tri shops to the hiking section--you might find some products that will work for you. As for pricing, all these belts were in the $50-70 range at most, maybe less on sale.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-08-03 5:26 PM
2016-08-03 8:07 PM
in reply to: #5193942

I have the Nathan hpl 020 hydration pack. It works great and holds a lot of water and does not bounce around. I highly recommended in my experience.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Run hydration belts, thoughts, experiences, recommendations? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Half Marathon and long run hydration belt =) Pages: 1 2

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 3950 Posts: 28

2011-10-21 12:10 PM Lesandtj

Hydration belts for 70.3

Started by Skeeter1
Views: 2221 Posts: 10

2009-06-07 8:13 PM LittleCat

experience with Camelbak Flashflo hydration pack?

Started by fireskye
Views: 1472 Posts: 5

2008-07-31 7:52 PM Zeriman

411 on hydration belts

Started by DeannaS
Views: 2228 Posts: 24

2007-10-23 9:41 AM Artemis

Hydration Belt - Use One? Pages: 1 2

Started by bradparsons01
Views: 1622 Posts: 31

2007-09-24 2:12 PM puellasolis
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 18, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 7
Looking for a liquid hydration system for your runs? We review the unique Amphipod RunLite 4 belt hydration system. Other than a few small issues, it has performed well.