General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chi Running? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-08 10:06 AM

Subject: Chi Running?
Has anyone attended a workshop? Do you feel this improved your running game? I'm an injury prone runner. I'm trying to decide it's simply strength imbalances and lack of flexibility versus form. I know I must incorporate exercises get stronger and more stable legs, abductors, hip and core. There is no doubt in my mind this is attributing to my injuries. I'm just wonder if plunking down bones to attend an all day workshop on this method would help me. Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

2016-08-08 10:57 AM
in reply to: booniebonnie

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Chi Running?
I read the book and bought the video but did not take a class. This was several years ago. I'm 58 and have been running since I was 15. Switching the mid-foot strike, my knees have been much better. I won't say that I follow the Chi-running technique 100%, but I think I'm fairly close. I've worn nothing but minimus shoes since 2011 and zero heel lift version since 2014. I think one of the main things that has helped, however, has been flexibility exercises. I do a short yoga routing almost every morning. If I did not do this, I think I would have quit running by now. I'm 6 foot and ~180 lbs at the moment. Core exercises are good as well, although I've not been doing these as often as I think I should.
2016-08-08 12:08 PM
in reply to: nickster

Originally posted by nickster

I read the book and bought the video but did not take a class. This was several years ago. I'm 58 and have been running since I was 15. Switching the mid-foot strike, my knees have been much better. I won't say that I follow the Chi-running technique 100%, but I think I'm fairly close. I've worn nothing but minimus shoes since 2011 and zero heel lift version since 2014. I think one of the main things that has helped, however, has been flexibility exercises. I do a short yoga routing almost every morning. If I did not do this, I think I would have quit running by now. I'm 6 foot and ~180 lbs at the moment. Core exercises are good as well, although I've not been doing these as often as I think I should.

I started running about 6 or 7 years ago on a dare with my husband to do a 10K. For a few years I would only run/train for those few months to complete that race. I started adding on from there. When I started, I was at one of my smallest weight ranges yet I was fitted for stability for over pronation shoes. they were SERIOUSLY heavy Cadillac shoes. I am now down to neutral high cushion 8mm off set. I tried less cushioning and it didn't go well for me.

Did you do minimalist/barefoot running prior to integrating Chi-Running or something that just sort of went hand in hand?
2016-08-08 12:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Originally posted by booniebonnie

Did you do minimalist/barefoot running prior to integrating Chi-Running or something that just sort of went hand in hand?

I did read the CHI running book and went to Vibram Five fingers a little before that. I would say that they kind of go hand in hand. Essential you would be really hard pressed to run in really minimal shoes with a heal strike method. These days I mostly run in "regular" running shoes but I still strive for a mid foot strike
2016-08-08 12:59 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN

I started out with midfoot strike with my "normal" running shoes. I switched to 8mm heel lift for a while and then shifted to zero lift.
2016-08-08 8:22 PM

Maybe pick up the book and if you like it, go to the workshop? There is some good stuff in there about running technique. I think when you get to the point of being fast, it matters less, but at that point, you're putting in enough miles that your form has taken care of itself along the way.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chi Running? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chi Running/Pose Method Running/Barefoot/whatever

Started by DBear
Views: 2464 Posts: 14

2007-08-25 2:58 PM Rowdy

Just picked up Chi Running book...

Started by bmax
Views: 1163 Posts: 12

2005-04-30 2:10 PM hjmiii

So far, what I know about Chi Running....

Started by sharonnagy5
Views: 1105 Posts: 16

2005-04-27 1:17 PM Rowdy

Chi Running

Started by foxycharmer
Views: 1175 Posts: 17

2005-04-21 4:41 PM foxycharmer

Chi Running

Started by frsully
Views: 953 Posts: 10

2005-03-24 4:54 PM jtat17
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 6, 2009
author : ChiRunning
comments : 0
In this second part, Danny Dreyer, Founder and Head Coach of Chi Running, will discuss several ways to correct your posture for better running.

date : June 3, 2009
comments : 1
Danny Dreyer, Founder and Head Coach of Chi Running, will discuss how to improve your transition from the bike to the run.
date : March 5, 2006
The three disciplines of triathlon are steeped in rhythm. Think of watching a well-trained swimmer, gliding smoothly down the lane, arms moving like clockwork, breathing every third stoke.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
Six months of running focus have paid off in unexpected ways. My training has focused on completing a half-iron distance which is still a few months away.
date : October 2, 2005
In order to improve your running efficiency and enjoy that last leg of every race, there are three important “rules of the road” to follow.

date : July 31, 2005
author : smeeko
No matter what technique you use, running still remains a sport that requires “pain and suffering.” Technique-only training will not make you a fast runner if you don’t practice to be one.
date : July 17, 2005
Running does not cause injury. Poor running form does. Running is more enjoyable, and safer if you know what you’re doing. And yes, even old dogs can learn new tricks.