General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First timer with questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-09 9:37 AM

Subject: First timer with questions
I can honestly say as of 2 days ago, I knew nothing about a triathlon. I've had an urge to try something new, different, and challenging so I figured I'd do some research into a triathlon. It looks like the best fit for me would be a Sprint, especially since this is my first time. I currently don't own a bike, but can go a long time on the stationary (played hockey my whole life and this was part of training). I have never trained in the pool but never had an issue swimming. Running is my weakest of the 3 but something I can put my mind to improving on in the gym.

That's a little of my background. My main question I'm looking for some advise on is...is it too late to try and train for a sprint in late September? It looks like that's when they stop and the latest one is Sept 25th in NJ. This would give me about 6.5 weeks of training. I've been lifting at the gym pretty hard for the past few months so I feel that I'm not starting from scratch here but want to look into accelerated training plan.

Would appreciate suggestions/opinions from others with experience.

2016-08-09 12:54 PM
in reply to: Kidicenj

Subject: RE: First timer with questions
Welcome to the madness.
Errr....addiction....
Errr....whatever you want to call it.

It's tremendous fun.
If you can safely swim a dozen laps in a pool within a 'reasonable' amount of time....which can include stopping and hanging on to the wall a couple times, ride a bike for 45 minutes and run/trot a couple miles....someone with even a casual level of fitness can complete a sprint (with a pool swim). Others can give you some specific advice on what kind of training volume you want for varying degrees of how fast you want to go. I'm a completer.

I think 6.5 weeks is more than enough for a hockey player. I'm no runner either. Just make sure you can get out there and do it to your ability. If not, you can walk when you need to. Unless it's a big race that attracts serious competers, sprints (the local ones) are quite often very beginner and hobbyist friendly, I do suggest getting on the bike for a nice long ride at some point and then hopping off and running. At least a mile or so. The big thing is just to get the feel of the legs. Depending on the length of the ride, it can feel like your legs are simultaneously made of lead, yet filled with helium, and it's hard to find 'your pace' going into the run...especially when you're amped up because....ITS A RACE! Even if you're not racing other people, you'll still be amped. Just so you're not shocked by it on race day.

When I signed up for my first tri (with a 4 mile run), I hadn't run more than a mile in over 35 years. First time I tried running a couple months before I got maybe 500 yards before I was walking. I just didn't "get it".

Get yerself some wheels and get out on the road. Beg....borrow. Just don't steal. Anything but a fixie. Hybrid's are fine. An old 10 speed, if it's in safe order.

Don't run out and spend tons of money. That'll come later All you need is a swimsuit (goggles are helpful), a bike (helmet is required), and some running shoes. If you really are dying to spend some dough to confirm your interest in the sport. Buy a simple race belt. The cheapest one you can find. Couple of bucks, tops. It's way better than dealing with safety pins for your bib number.
2016-08-10 10:38 AM
in reply to: Kidicenj

User image

You're right, riding the bike won't be a problem. Run should really be ok too. The biggest shock will be swimming. Lots of us swim, but swimming laps is not the same as hopping in a pool and moving around comfortably. It becomes especially difficult for those of us who are competitive. Swimming will be harder than you think and it will make the ride and run more difficult than you would otherwise expect. I'm not saying don't do it. I will suggest getting to a pool as soon as possible to start understanding how swimming will impact you. The endurance skills from riding a trainer and skating will transfer well to this sport, but you also need to get on a bike outside as soon as possible to work on handling skills. Having people blow past you, and they will, can be unnerving and you want to make sure to hold a nice straight line so as not to harm yourself or others. Running, while you say it is your weakest, probably needs the least amount of work prior to a race in six weeks.
To be safe you need to be able to comfortably swim the distance to be covered, and be able to hold a straight line on the bike. Both skills sound easy but take a little work. Everyone can run or resort to a walk if necessary without being dangerous. Weak swim puts yourself at risk, weak bike puts others at risk too, weak run just makes you doubt yourself and feel foolish but doesn't really put anyone in harms way.
2016-09-21 6:54 PM
in reply to: #5194557

New user

Great advise notquitethere. I'll remember that myself
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First timer with questions Rss Feed