General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake temp on the bubble and full suit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-10 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Subject: Lake temp on the bubble and full suit

I'm racing Saturday, a sprint with an 800 meter swim and was assuming there'd be no way the little lake is under 78 degrees.  The RD must've dove to the middle bottom of the thing because as of now they're calling it 73 despite it feeling like bath water.  I am definitely going to save time in a wet suit versus no suit (and am vying for a female OA or masters so that minute or less could really count) but all I have is a full sleeve/full leg and worry about overheating between the barely legal water and very hot air.

I was looking at the wet suit shorts, look like a tri short but made of wet suit material.  Wondering if anyone has tried these?  What would you normally do in this situation assuming you don't have a shorty/sleeveless suit?  Would you wear the full anyway even for half a mile?

2016-08-10 12:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Lake temp on the bubble and full suit
Originally posted by noelle1230

I'm racing Saturday, a sprint with an 800 meter swim and was assuming there'd be no way the little lake is under 78 degrees.  The RD must've dove to the middle bottom of the thing because as of now they're calling it 73 despite it feeling like bath water.  I am definitely going to save time in a wet suit versus no suit (and am vying for a female OA or masters so that minute or less could really count) but all I have is a full sleeve/full leg and worry about overheating between the barely legal water and very hot air.

I was looking at the wet suit shorts, look like a tri short but made of wet suit material.  Wondering if anyone has tried these?  What would you normally do in this situation assuming you don't have a shorty/sleeveless suit?  Would you wear the full anyway even for half a mile?

First.....Yes. I have Blue Seventy Core shorts. I wore them in a similar situation as yours (600 m ocean swim) with my Desoto T1 sleeveless top.

Second..If I do that again, I won't wear the T1 speed vest.

The shorts are like swimming with a PB, only better (you get to kick a little if you want to). I actually wore them in a 300 m pool swim that was in 70 deg. water........because I know I'm faster in them. They take all of 2-3 seconds to get out of.

Good luck.

**p.s. I also wouldn't be afraid to wear a full suit for 800 m. I don't think I could overheat in it .....in 13-14 minutes.

Edited by nc452010 2016-08-10 1:10 PM
2016-08-10 2:34 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

How hot will the air be for bike and run?

For a sprint if it was not scorching I'd just wear the fullsuit rather than buying something new last minute.  I would get warm, but I don't think overheated and bike and run are short.   I wore a fullsuit at Silverman 70.3 that was on the bubble, I regretted that during the bike.

2016-08-10 3:28 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by ChrisM

For a sprint if it was not scorching I'd just wear the fullsuit rather than buying something new last minute.  I would get warm, but I don't think overheated and bike and run are short.   I wore a fullsuit at Silverman 70.3 that was on the bubble, I regretted that during the bike.

Probably should have taken it off before the bike.

2016-08-10 3:48 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Originally posted by Hook'em

Probably should have taken it off before the bike.

Shoot... I knew I forgot something.   Explains the stares.....

2016-08-10 7:27 PM

User image

I tried a practice swim this year in ~80 in a full wetsuit because I wanted to get more time with it on. Instantly I felt horrible. I could tell I was sweating while in the water. I wouldn't recommend it. You'll be down fluids for the bike for sure.

2016-08-10 10:59 PM

This. I'd be looking at the air temps. When it's getting borderline, IMO, anything north of 73-74, I'll drop the suit unless the air is cool. 800m is plenty long enough to cook yourself from the inside out. Yes, you're giving up some time, but unless you're a poor swimmer and giving up a lot of time. . . it's not worth it. It could lead to some cramps on the bike and run.
2016-08-11 9:20 AM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

Originally posted by ziggie204

This. I'd be looking at the air temps. When it's getting borderline, IMO, anything north of 73-74, I'll drop the suit unless the air is cool. 800m is plenty long enough to cook yourself from the inside out. Yes, you're giving up some time, but unless you're a poor swimmer and giving up a lot of time. . . it's not worth it. It could lead to some cramps on the bike and run.

Looks like the air temp will be around low 70's but the very high humidity will make it seem warmer.

One additional thing I didn't add to simplify my original post is that I dropped a 40 pound dumbbell on my hand a week ago and got stitches in my right index finger, which are coming out today.  But I haven't had full range of motion on the finger yet (I am right handed).  So aside from the overheating, I'm a little worried about getting out of the suit quickly if I still can't grab with the finger two days from now.  I have one of those suits that's quite long and tight on the ankles despite using glide, baby oil or whatever other tricks I've learned along the way.

I will generally lose about a full minute without the suit in an 800.

This is all assuming the doc clears me for the lake swim today like he anticipated he would...........

2016-08-11 10:22 AM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

At those temps *if* I was shooting for podium I'd wear it. If I were just racing to have fun I'd just go in jammers. Only you know whether you'll be able to get it off without hurting your hand. (Ouch, sorry to hear about that...see? Triathletes shouldn't be weight training!!! . )
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lake temp on the bubble and full suit Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

wet suit necessary for 70 deg water temps?

Started by lytespan23
Views: 1139 Posts: 12

2014-03-20 3:02 PM hessma

74 degree water temp without wet suit? Pages: 1 2

Started by shepherdsflock
Views: 7867 Posts: 32

2012-08-09 8:51 PM siouxcityhawk

Wet suit for low 60's temp

Started by bgeyeguy
Views: 1286 Posts: 17

2010-03-29 7:55 AM DerekL

Water temp in Lake Erie

Started by AdventureBear
Views: 648 Posts: 5

2005-08-26 2:16 PM AdventureBear

Water Temp Lake Placid

Started by Maine
Views: 1444 Posts: 12

2005-05-11 9:24 AM Maine
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 10, 2009
author : t3coach1
comments : 0
Looking to shave some time off and improve your swim efficiency during your races? We review the Rocket Skin Suit by Rocket Science Sports.

date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.
date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
comments : 0
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?

date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.
date : April 3, 2005
author : sherrick
comments : 19
This training plan is written to prepare you for your first Ironman. While just a beginner’s plan, the hours per week start at a significant 8 hours.