General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rain forecast for Sprint this weekend; transition suggestions? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-11 11:17 AM

User image

Subject: Rain forecast for Sprint this weekend; transition suggestions?
I'm entered in my first triathlon this Saturday, a local sprint distance event with a pool swim. Unfortunately, it looks like it's probably going to be raining. My assumption is the event will proceed as long as there's no lightning. I had a plan for my transitions and have practiced them a few times. If its raining, however, that plan is basically out the window. I hadn't given any thought to a rain contingency until this morning. Any suggestions?

Also, what do you do to keep your glasses from fogging up? This morning I did a true swim-to-bike transition out of my swim workout. Glasses were OK at first, but by the time I got a mile or so down the road, they started fogging up. It was pretty humid this morning, and presumable the extra moisture in the air in the immediate vicinity of my glasses from the pool water evaporating off my skin, hair, and shirt was enough to cause condensation.

2016-08-11 11:22 AM
in reply to: gary p

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Rain forecast for Sprint this weekend; transition suggestions?

its exactly the same as your old plan, just you'll be wet.  Don't sweat it, and be a little careful in the turns.

2016-08-11 11:33 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
You might want to put most of you transition items (running shoes, socks, etc.) in a bag (grocery is fine). They'll still get wet once you're out on the course, but at least they'll be dry for the first X minutes/miles.

As for the fogging up of glasses, meh. I am going to try baby shampoo, which I've heard helps with goggles, or some of those anti-fog sprays you can buy, but I honestly don't have much hope for them.

Lastly, careful with the painted lines on the road, especially around corners.

Have a fun race!
2016-08-11 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Livonia, MI

A small piece of tarp or even a very large raincoat works wonders for a rainy transition.  Just set all of your stuff on top of one half and then fold the other half over.  It won't stay completely dry but in the event that it downpours you won't be coming back to totally soaked towels, shoes, socks, etc.

2016-08-11 1:19 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
I have just turned my cycling shoes and running shoes upside down so they don't get quite so wet.
2016-08-11 9:39 PM

Originally posted by gary p

I'm entered in my first triathlon this Saturday, a local sprint distance event with a pool swim. Unfortunately, it looks like it's probably going to be raining. My assumption is the event will proceed as long as there's no lightning. I had a plan for my transitions and have practiced them a few times. If its raining, however, that plan is basically out the window. I hadn't given any thought to a rain contingency until this morning. Any suggestions?

Also, what do you do to keep your glasses from fogging up? This morning I did a true swim-to-bike transition out of my swim workout. Glasses were OK at first, but by the time I got a mile or so down the road, they started fogging up. It was pretty humid this morning, and presumable the extra moisture in the air in the immediate vicinity of my glasses from the pool water evaporating off my skin, hair, and shirt was enough to cause condensation.

[pink] Cover your bike seat with a plastic bag [/pink]

Seriously though, I hate wet shoes, so I'll lay a towel over my shoes. Sure they get wet after I'm on course, but at least they are dry when I put them on. Experience riding in the wet helps for corners and general braking. The worst part of riding in the rain is the first five minutes till you're soaked through, coming out of the pool, this isn't a problem

2016-08-12 4:23 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Also don't like starting with wet gear, especially for a longer race if temps at the beginning of the bike are cool. I put my bike and run stuff (shoes, socks, hat) in big ziplock bags. It adds a little time so probably not the best idea for a sprint if you're in it to win it, but okay otherwise.
2016-08-13 2:01 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Nothing different in transition. Covering stuff up, putting stuff in bags etc will just slow you down and since you're going to get anyways, what difference does it make.

Just keep it easy in turns and avoid painted lines/manhole covers and you'll be good. You're probably not going to set your fastest bike split ever, but no one else with either.
2016-08-13 2:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I ended up setting up my transition area pretty much like I planned, and put a clear storage tub, sans lid, upside down on top. I had to condense the layout just slightly to get it to fit underneath. It was raining a bit during the pre-race briefing but let up during the swim. Making an effort to keep my shoes and socks dry was well worth the ~3 seconds moving the tub cost me.

Edited by gary p 2016-08-13 2:26 PM
2016-08-13 8:23 PM

User image

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I use baby shampoo on my glasses to keep them from fogging. I rub it on the lenses, rinse it off with water and they don't fog. I do the same with my goggles.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Rain forecast for Sprint this weekend; transition suggestions? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

First Tri this weekend, transition/rain questions

Started by obx07
Views: 852 Posts: 7

2011-08-22 5:03 PM bikerchick2930

HIM forecast: 50 degrees and raining

Started by mango6383
Views: 1333 Posts: 17

2010-08-05 9:10 AM KathyG

Rain forecast for my Marathon 8(

Started by Baowolf
Views: 970 Posts: 15

2010-01-12 5:06 PM Baowolf

Rain in the Forecast...Any Changes?

Started by jacasa
Views: 861 Posts: 7

2008-04-14 11:03 PM Schrup

Rain in the forecast

Started by baltimore bethany
Views: 727 Posts: 11

2006-08-26 7:57 PM mscotthall
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 4, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
comments : 1
Learn essential triathlon transition techniques for various ability levels. Includes wetsuit removal and several bike mounting techniques.

date : June 1, 2009
author : EnduranceFilms
This video will show the basics of triathlon transitions including setup and how to use the space efficiently as possible to minimize wasted time.
date : October 7, 2008
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
Learn how to top off your muscles with energy during your race weekend taper! Carbo-load correctly and alleviate the possibility of GI distress by choosing the correct foods and when to eat them.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 0
A few trathletes at a local race setup their transition area.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle
date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.