Seattle, Washington
United States
65F / 18C
Total Time = 26h 38m
Overall Rank = 3/600
Age Group = 30-39F
Age Group Rank = 1/180
Pre-race routine:

Went out with friends, wasn't taking this race as anything beyond a good tempo workout since I was just coming off of recovering from the ultra marathon
Event warmup:

Ran a couple miles easy followed by some strides
Run
  • 26m 38s
  • 4.2 miles
  • 06m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Met a couple friends and checked out the booths.

I loved the idea of this event. Since pot has been legalized here in WA (as well as a few other states) I believe some work needs to be done around the stigma of recreational marijuana use. This mission of this particular organization is this:

We are forging a new outlook on cannabis by hosting athletic events. All of our events are designed to accommodate beginning to advanced level athletes.

Like anything, moderation is key but I hate the misconception that one who uses marijuana must be a stoner who is lazy or unmotivated. There are risks to nearly everything we do in life from consuming carbs, drinking caffeine, driving our cars or bungee jumping. Get the facts (I don't me biased internet google searches, I do mean real facts) and then asses the risk.

Anyhoo - I loved the concept of the race but it also was a promotional deal, FREE! I figured it would be perfect, I could just run this thing for fun with no pressure and no financial commitment.

So I lined up at the start and the announcer tells us that there is a 500 dollar prize for the first place male AND female (200 second and 50 bucks for third.)

SAY WHAT?!?!?!

Well, that changes things a bit. I figured what I could do is run the first half as a tempo, per plan, then see where I was. If winning was in reach I would deviate from the plan go for it.

They counted down and we were off running. I am very familiar with Magnusun park as I have done a lot of races here. The course really plays into my strengths as there are some climbs alternating with flat sections and downhills. I like to use the climbs to make and solidify passes then just hold on for the flats.

There were about 5 or so women in front of me at the start and I passed them one by one, moving into number one by mile 1. The pace was still on par with tempo and I really wanted to stick with that at least until mile 3 and see what I needed to do. I mean, 500 bucks...

I was thinking through what my strategy should be. Should I lay it down and try to put some serious distance between us? Should I just stick with the original plan?

Ultimately what I did was stuck with t he plan, keeping a comfortable hard pace. I figured I would lay it down hard at mile 3ish and if the number 2 woman made a move I would evaluate if I could match it or not if/when it happened.

I rolled on steady through mile 2 and then 3. I was feeling great and appreciated my easier start. I pushed down the pace a little more and really focused on good mechanics.

Approaching mile 4 I had a good feeling it was in the bag. Now I had my sighs on the number three overall slot. The current number 3 male was in my sights. I locked in and accelerated past him and kept on going. We had a quarter mile to go, I just had to hang on.

I heard hit footsteps fall away, number three unchallenged. I hit the straightaway on the flat section of the course, rounded the corner and could see the finish.

I sprinted hard and got to break the tape as first woman and third overall!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlLkbW7grhY&feature=youtu.be

What would you do differently?:

I thought this was really well executed.

I think I could have pushed a touch more at the beginning and maybe taken number 2?
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged a bit then collected my oversize 500 dollar check, a bucket list item for sure!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Recovering from ultra marathon

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-08-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:38 | 04.2 miles | 06m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/180
Overall: 3/600
Performance: Good
Course: Multi-loop rolling course on asphalt and trail in Magunsun Park
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2016-08-11 11:49 AM

User image

Seattle
Subject: The 420 Games - Road Run

2016-08-11 12:12 PM
in reply to: #5194802

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: The 420 Games - Road Run
Amazing! How you have speed in your legs after the ultra, I'll never know...but very well done!!
2016-08-12 1:24 PM
in reply to: #5194802

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: The 420 Games - Road Run

Cha-CHING!! $$$  You are simply amazing and your accomplishments make me smile. You train hard and it shows, yet you seem to be able to find the balance of playing hard, too. Love it! Congratulations on a great race and collecting a very nice prize for being such a speedy chica!  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The 420 Games - Road Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

SweetWater 420 5K

Started by Seepie
Views: 729 Posts: 1

2011-04-18 8:43 AM Seepie

Troop 420 Green River 5k

Started by sleinad
Views: 821 Posts: 2

2011-03-17 6:04 PM SquirrelGravy

Empire State Games - Master's Road Race

Started by NYtrigal
Views: 1222 Posts: 8

2005-07-31 5:18 PM max

AZ Police Games - Road Race

Started by desertsix
Views: 659 Posts: 1

2005-04-18 1:00 AM desertsix

Intl Police Games - Road Race

Started by desertsix
Views: 623 Posts: 1

2004-08-15 1:33 AM desertsix
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Why it’s so hard for us to talk about losing at a simple game? Sports are supposed to be about building positive character, supposed to be about fairness, equality, and striving for excellence.

date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : September 16, 2010
author : LifterCatcher
comments : 3
As the fog cleared, the buoy that I first saw earlier in the morning was just the first marker in a very long line of buoys that stretched across the lake like a runway for a 747 jetliner.
date : April 20, 2009
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : December 27, 2008
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : April 2, 2006
author : Manny
Training tips and lessons to keeping your head in the game.

date : March 5, 2006
author : Team BT
There was a long run from the water to the transition area at the London Tri but I quickly found my bike and headed out onto the road.