Set Up Events
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 22m 36s
Overall Rank = 219/357
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/19
Pre-race routine:

On Friday morning, we dropped of Zoe at the kennel on Friday morning and headed up to Lake Logan. We arrived, drove part of the course (I wanted a Stamey Cove refresher and I wanted to look at the section Queenstown/Kims Cove section that was added last year), and then went to Waynesville for packet pickup and dinner. We spent Friday night in Waynesville.

Dinner at Tipping Point Tavern. They have gone downhill since last time we ate there. I would not recommend it. Then we went back to the hotel and watched part of the opening ceremonies. We didn't make it far into the parade of nations before it was time for bed. We had a 4:30 alarm awaiting us.

We got up and I had a bagle with peanut butter, a banana, a bottle of water with Camelbak Elixir in it and a bottle of ensure (practicing pre-race nutrition for Chattanooga).

We left the hotel at about 5:00 and arrive on site at 5:#0. Parking was already getting congested.

It was about 70 degrees at the race start and about 82 when we finished. The water temperature was 72 (much cooler under the bridge).

Set the alarm for 4:30 with the intention of leaving the hotel, the the Best Western (only OK but there aren't many options convenient to the event site) by 5:00. Set out my breakfast and gear for the morning and chillaxed for the evening.

Breakfast: Bagel with peanut butter, banana, ensure.

We got up at 4:30 and left for the site at about 5:00. We knew that parking would be an issue given the mountain roads and narrow area around the lake. We loaded up everything from the hotel since we were doing a change of venue to Asheville after the race. We got into the conga line on the one road in/out of the race site and arrived at the race site just before (5:30).

Event warmup:

Set up transition, walk to the swim start, short swim in the roped off section of the lake.
Swim
  • 46m 5s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was in wave 7 of 8. I finished towards the back of my wave. Clearly I need to continue working on this. I have been upset that my masters program is ending but maybe it's for the best since it will force me to look elsewhere for pointers.
Transition 1
  • 04m 51s
Bike
  • 3h 17m 23s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Fun. Fair. Hilly. The ride was relatively uneventful, for me at least. When I was on Iron Duff, I saw that someone crashed into a fence. The USAT official was there. As I continued down Iron Duff, I saw the first responders and ambulance heading toward the crash. After the race, I asked the official if the rider was OK. She said that yes he was but there was another crash at the same corner. As the official was waiting for the ambulance, a female rider crashed into the official! The official may have had a broken arm but finished the HIM before getting her arm looked at. I asked some club members afterward if they knew if the official was OK and I am happy to report, that we did not break the official.
Transition 2
  • 03m 21s
Run
  • 2h 10m 58s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m  min/mile
Comments:

The run went well. Off the bike and across the bridge to a gradual uphill for 3.2 miles.

After the turnaround, downhill for 3.2 miles, a loop around the field (past the finish line!), then back up the hill and back down to finish!

Unfortunately, I had to stop to pee during the first loop.

Nutrition: I had a Hammer gel at about mile 5 and changed from drinking water to drinking coke at about mile 7.5.
Post race
Warm down:

Kevin met me at the finish line. We walked over to the picnic tables for food, got something to drink. They had some wraps and stuff at the finish area. I tried to eat something. Visited with some IOSTC club members and other people that we knew and then we headed to Asheville.

Event comments:

I love this venue and look forward to returning in the future! I do wish that there were more aid stations on the run course but given the nature of the course, I think that they are doing what they can.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-12-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:05 | 2112 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/19
Overall: 329/357
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Rectangular course that goes clockwise with only two turns. Straight from the dock to the first yellow buoy then right to the next yellow buoy then right and swim under the bridge to the floating dock and dry land
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:51
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:17:23 | 56 miles | 17.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/19
Overall: 223/357
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Figure 8 shaped course. We went out on Lake Logan road and made a counter clockwise loop, returning on Lake Logan road. The first and last 2 miles had a steepish hill. With another longer, steeper hill on Stamey Cover Road near mile 40. The rest of the course had some rollers as well as some grinders that make this Half course slower than the Olympic course. (Note that this is not the same course that was used in 2014. They found additional miles -- and hills -- to make it the full 56 miles.) I had one, 5 oz bottle of EFS-LS (dividied between two water bottles) and and additional bottle of water that I picked up on the course. I also had 1.5 sleeves of Clif Shot Bloks - 1 block every 20 minutes.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:21
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:10:58 | 13.1 miles | 10m  min/mile
Age Group: 7/19
Overall: 162/357
Performance: Good
Course: The transition area is by the lake. From there the course is a gradual uphill to the Sunburst Campground is a primitive campground nestled between Shining Rock and Middle Prong Wilderness within Pisgah National Forest. Then, after 3.1 miles turnaround and go down the hill. We did a loop in a field near the transition area and then did a second lap on the road. The road is mostly shaded. Newcomers to the venue will want to take note that the course goes by a firing range so hearing gunshots is not unusual.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-08-12 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: Lake Logan Half

2016-08-12 3:01 PM
in reply to: #5194945

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Lake Logan Half

Nicely done!! Sounds like overall the venue is a god one &you had a great race!

2016-08-13 8:27 AM
in reply to: #5194945

User image

Well done and great effort, sounds like a fun course!
2016-08-13 5:41 PM
in reply to: tomsimper

User image

Master
Orlando

Congratulations on another great race! I'm really close to wanting to do this race!

2016-08-15 12:44 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Please stop making NC sound so wonderful. I'm not in a position to move there right now! :P
Great race at a great venue. How'd all the nutrition prep seem to sit?
2016-08-15 12:51 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia Please stop making NC sound so wonderful. I'm not in a position to move there right now! :P Great race at a great venue. How'd all the nutrition prep seem to sit?

Bike nutrition is good.  Run nutrition for the IM is a little bit weaker.  Part of that just depends on my stomach on the day, you know?  I know that I'll start with a gel in a flavor that I like in my race belt and then do gels/cola/broth/water on course.  I need to give more thought to the timing of gels/cola.

2016-08-15 12:58 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Maybe next summer we can do a Manatee Meetup in the mountains?  Something to think about.

2016-08-15 1:56 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by jmkizer

Maybe next summer we can do a Manatee Meetup in the mountains?  Something to think about.

Memorial Day Weekend: http://www.mountainsofmisery.com/
One day I'll be strong enough to tackle it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Logan Half Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lake Logan Half

Started by JayTee3
Views: 666 Posts: 1

2016-08-08 2:46 PM JayTee3

Lake Logan Half

Started by Jenheaslip
Views: 973 Posts: 1

2014-08-18 6:51 PM Jenheaslip

Lake Logan Half

Started by bdmcgrane
Views: 1159 Posts: 1

2014-08-08 3:30 PM bdmcgrane

Lake Logan Half

Started by jmkizer
Views: 2465 Posts: 9

2014-08-07 1:23 PM amd723

Lake Logan Half

Started by alk926
Views: 1031 Posts: 1

2014-08-04 10:36 AM alk926
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : August 10, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
The first time I ventured into the deep murky green lake and could not see the bottom my muscles tensed and my imagined fears surfaced. What exactly lies beneath?
date : January 29, 2006
author : sl2302
I just had a couple of problems, I could count the number of triathlons I had contested at zero. Secondly, I could count on one hand the number of times I had been swimming in the last 17 years.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.