General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long would you go without training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-12 6:42 PM

Sarasota, Florida
Subject: How long would you go without training?
Well, life got demanding this year and I have found myself nearly sedentary for a month now working 6-7 days a week working through lunch on many days. I have an Oly in 2 months. I haven't done a race in a while, haven't done a brick in nearly 4 months. I thought I could ease through a sprint now if I had to, and squeezed in a little transition work today and nearly fell on my face due to calf cramps. Took 3 minutes of stretching and massaging to continue.

Thought this would be a fun question to ask. If you were race ready, then life threw something your way how long would you go without training before expecting to survive a sprint or oly?

2016-08-12 6:55 PM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Expert
Floriduh
Subject: RE: How long would you go without training?
I think that completing (not competing against the field or even myself) a sprint takes nearly no training. I think I could fall out of bed on any day and finish a sprint, prolly with a pretty crummy time, but I could finish the course. An oly not so much, I would think that anything over 4-6 weeks off would damage my performance and jeopardize being able to ccmplete the course.
2016-08-12 9:02 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I would probably survive either on pretty much no training. Those distances are all within what I do recreationally, though the Oly run might be a pain if I really had done zero running! I think with more than three weeks off, though, if I'd been truly sedentary, I'd back off the intensity and not try to race it, just do it to finish. That would particularly be true on the bike leg--if you push it too hard, you'll nuke your run, especially if run fitness and overall endurance is weak.

I did one of my best sprint races ever after five weeks vacation in Europe that included a lot of bike touring (but with ZERO race-pace efforts--I was riding with Mom, who's well into her 70's), and only four or five runs and swims each, again, nothing at race effort/pace. I guess it's not quite zero training, since it was an active vacation, but it kind of made me wonder if structured training is overrated sometimes (or if I overtrain?)!
2016-08-13 8:46 PM

User image

Ventura, California

My training has really suffered lately due to a new job, lots of driving (avg 700 miles per week), very hot desert temps (100*F+) and lots of smoke from recent wild fires. 

With that said I finished a sprint last weekend and did well, but not as good as I had wished. 500M/30K/5K (1:55, 23/49 in AG 45-49). In 2 weeks I have a long course olympic 1.2mile/35mile/10mile. and I am very concerned especially for the run portion. My running distance has plummeted in the last couple of months.

Today I was on a 60 mile training ride and cut it short at 48 miles due to muscle fatigue. In approx. 30 days I have a century ride with over 8,000 ft of elevation gain and I am also worried about being ready for that.

Bottom line is if I can't be competitive then their is no reason to do the race. I have no desire to simply 'finish' or 'check off the box' any more. 

Good news for you my friend is you have 2 months to train your azz off and not make any more excuses, so lace up those running shoes and get out the door before daylight, hit the pool on the way home from work, brush the dust off the bike and hit the road on the weekends. No reason not to be ready for your oly in 60 days!

2016-08-14 12:19 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Sarasota, Florida
That would have been fitting advice to go easy, but I was trying to go hard with the reduced mileage. Getting to know your body during training and events is one thing, but learning vulnerabilities in disruption is another.

Yes. 2 months! I am taking a month off so I will have a lot of time to train, sleep, and eat. Probably find a good balance between family, home projects, social life, and training for a change. Can't wait to break free from this chair. I don't see how people do it.

I think another lesson to take is to not neglect transition work if prone to cramping, which I have faced before, but never thought of it as a regular problem.
2016-08-14 11:42 AM
in reply to: 0

I did a sprint yesterday after converting my entry from the olympic distance race. Due to extensive work travel and putting together a family wedding going into this thing I'd done exactly one swim, one bike and one run in the preceding 2.5 weeks. I went into yesterday deciding I would go for broke, especially on the bike, and if I fell on my face or ran out of gas so be it. I, too, am at that transition from simply wanting to finish to pushing the limits and being more competitive. Well, I did great on the sprint distance and bettered my time significantly. This is my second sprint this year and third ever. I also completed a HIM this year. I am 61 years old.

Your experience may differ, but I agree with those who have posted that if you have a good base you can enter a sprint distance triathlon and do well after somewhat slacking off on the training.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2016-08-14 11:44 AM

2016-08-14 8:00 PM

I usually take off a good three to four weeks at the end of the year. The fitness falls off, but it comes back. When I start back, I feel super fresh and I sometimes have to remind myself to take it easy. So I'd say that I could probably take a couple months off and still squeeze out a respectable race. You should be fine in two months time, at least back to where you were.
2016-08-14 9:22 PM
in reply to: #5194981

User image

, North Carolina
I wouldn't race a sprint if I couldn't do at least 50% of my volume for the three weeks prior.

I wouldn't do it with no training for two weeks prior.

Longer distances would add weeks to the go/no go

I almost bagged my A race a two weeks ago due to low volume. But, stuck with it. Now into a two week taper. Feeling ok about it. Still going to hit the pool hard.

2016-08-17 3:20 PM
in reply to: Nick B

Sarasota, Florida
Yeah, I was thinking a month tops for both if race ready for the respective race, but I think I'd give a sprint a go no matter what but I might have to hang out in transition areas for some breathers.

Well, I've been squeezing in a mile run every lunch. Don't know what good that will do but at least it's something before I begin next week.
2016-08-18 10:48 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
I had a bike wreck in March, followed by surgery that put me out of the pool and meant no running for about 8 weeks. I could tell that I definitely lost some fitness, but not as much as I expected.

I did ride the stationary bike 3 times a week during this period. So I was able to keep the cardio up for the most part.

I was also training for a marathon over the winter before running into some serious digestive issues. I went from running 30-40 miles a week down to nothing for 2 weeks, then only 6-10 miles a week for the 4 weeks leading up to the race. I dropped to the half-marathon, but ran a PR at 7:06 pace. In hindsight it kind of forced me to rest up which may have actually helped me run a better race.

In summary, I lost fitness being away, but was able to mitigate it by doing whatever I had time or ability for.

Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How long would you go without training? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Longest you've gone without taking a day off?

Started by spiderjunior
Views: 2282 Posts: 17

2014-06-17 8:01 PM rjrankin83

Going Long vs Triathlete's Training Bible

Started by tahrens
Views: 739 Posts: 5

2009-08-25 4:38 PM sax

Longest Workout on Stationary without going mad Pages: 1 2

Started by TimmyMay
Views: 2475 Posts: 30

2006-12-06 2:15 PM runnergirl

Go long or go fast?

Started by CBarnes
Views: 1150 Posts: 24

2006-09-28 6:01 PM drdi

"Going Long" Training plans-am I missing something???

Started by glf33
Views: 2364 Posts: 9

2004-11-07 9:26 AM BadgerIronMan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 0
Feeling blah? Tempted to miss a workout? Here are some practices as well as on-the-spot tricks to get you into your workouts when you're just not feeling it.

date : December 22, 2011
author : writingrunner
comments : 1
Where to find the time WITHOUT getting up early
date : June 29, 2010
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on Ironman swim training without a pool and race pacing.

date : May 30, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day butterflies, long Ironman training bricks, training in the heat, hydration, going hard in a short race, and hammering the swim.
date : December 11, 2007
author : AMSSM
I am trying to go from being 40 lbs. overweight, however, I keep having pain in my knees, ankle, or hip that stops me from exercising for several days - killing my momentum.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : November 9, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
How long should the 1st long run of a new season be and how to determine volumes when beginning training for a specific event.