General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do I take good swim video? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-15 1:35 PM

Subject: How do I take good swim video?
any recommended cheap alternatives to gopro for taking swim video footage? also how do you setup camera on pool floor? what do you weigh it down with. I went to a swim clinic and I thought the video footage was super helpful so I'm hoping after a few months of working on my flaws to be able to record myself again.

2016-08-15 2:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: How do I take good swim video?
The best way to do it would be to have someone video you- a cell phone camera is good enough. Surely you have a friend who can help you out?

Edited by jennifer_runs 2016-08-15 2:16 PM
2016-08-15 4:18 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by TriTampa2

any recommended cheap alternatives to gopro for taking swim video footage? also how do you setup camera on pool floor? what do you weigh it down with. I went to a swim clinic and I thought the video footage was super helpful so I'm hoping after a few months of working on my flaws to be able to record myself again.

If you have a smart phone with a camera, you can buy a waterproof case for it, like lifeproof, or some other brand. Water test it first, though.

Above water video is fine too, not as helpful but a good start.

I also use an Olympis Tough camera which is waterproof, but most cameras will sink so you don't need to eight it down you just need to prop it in posiiton. You can use a sandbag or prop it on a ladder rung or put on the floor where it meets the wall of the pool so it is angled up diagnonally to do self video.

Often you just need 2-3 strokes to get an idea of the thing you are looking at and whether or not you've improved it.
2016-08-16 7:51 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Originally posted by AdventureBear

Originally posted by TriTampa2

If you have a smart phone with a camera, you can buy a waterproof case for it, like lifeproof, or some other brand. Water test it first, though.

Above water video is fine too, not as helpful but a good start.

I also use an Olympis Tough camera which is waterproof, but most cameras will sink so you don't need to eight it down you just need to prop it in posiiton. You can use a sandbag or prop it on a ladder rung or put on the floor where it meets the wall of the pool so it is angled up diagnonally to do self video.

Often you just need 2-3 strokes to get an idea of the thing you are looking at and whether or not you've improved it.

That's a good idea. I have a lifeproof case on my iphone already so not sure why I didn't think of that. Yeah. I won't need a ton of video to see if my high elbow catch is improving and if I'm reducing my crossover. I have other things to work on but those are my primary areas of focus right now.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do I take good swim video? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Best Triathlon Freestyle Swimming Training Videos

Started by jperchard
Views: 1485 Posts: 8

2014-10-04 1:29 AM simpsonbo

Good Video On Breathing and Hip Rotation - Swim

Started by bighorsecreek
Views: 615 Posts: 1

2010-07-22 7:59 PM bighorsecreek

Best swim videos?

Started by GoFaster
Views: 708 Posts: 4

2009-03-09 9:15 AM stahlmangc

Ironman Wisconsin VIDEO Preview done: Swim, T1, Bike and Run

Started by SimplyStu
Views: 1587 Posts: 6

2006-09-12 12:13 AM Birkierunner

Best Swimming Instructional Video

Started by Motivated
Views: 1032 Posts: 6

2004-09-21 11:08 AM lifesgreat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2015
author : CoachCK
comments : 1
It's time to improve upon your weakness in the water and start swimming faster. Instead of ignoring your swim skills (or lack thereof), it’s time to face them head-on.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"