General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Last Minute Freaking Out Questions for first timer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-20 9:31 AM

New user
Boston area
Subject: Last Minute Freaking Out Questions for first timer

Hi everyone,

I know I haven't posted in a while since my initial splurge of several posts.  I am still totally clueless, and now my first tri is actually coming up.  It's a mini tri on Saturday.  I have not kept to my training schedule very well due to travel for work, general family activities, and lots of other excuses, but I am still a lot farther along than when I started and I am going to make a go of it, and if I finish I will be thrilled.  It is a mini tri in Cape Cod with an ocean swim.  I can do all of the distances in the gym at a moderate pace (jog not run for example) but am psychologically challenged when I get outdoors or in the ocean but am hoping the adrenaline of race day will help me finish.   I can swim over distance in the pool but I tried swimming in the ocean and ended up going backwards while trying to swim forward (ouch!) but it was a great workout.  I have a few questions for you: 

- I have a wetsuit and I have trishorts but not sure what I wear for a top (I am female) - do I wear my bathing suit under my wetsuit or a sports bra?  I can't imagine running in my bathing suit but wasnt sure what people usually do?  Maybe if I go find one with really good support.  Do I buy a special sports bra for triathlons? 

- what do I need to bring with me to the race?   Do people really bring balloons?  I am kind of worried about finding my spot.

- is it okay to walk if I have to and are there some people at the end that walk?  

- my friend told me I am crazy to ride my mountain bike.  So am I crazier to ride a mountain bike (should mention that I got it from a yard sale and it doesnt fit me perfectly) or rush out and get a road bike?   She recommended I rent a road bike or maybe try to buy a used one this week. 

- can I wear a walkman?  I have never ran without music. 

- do I bring water bottles on my bike or just have water at my transition spot

- do you have all your tools etc on your bike? 

Thanks for any help - sorry for the long post. 

Debbie

2004-07-20 10:20 AM
in reply to: #38954

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Last Minute Freaking Out Questions for first timer

Relax - you'll do great!  And feel so wonderful when it's done!

To answer your questions:

I wear a sports bra and tri shorts under the wetsuit.  I put on a shirt before the bike.  Make sure your bra will dry quickly.

People really use balloons.  If you are worried about not finding your bike, then get one

Yes people walk and it is ok to do so!

Lots of people use a mtn. bike.  I assume it's a sprint distance?  If longer, then consider a road bike.

Usually walkmans will make you disqualified (safety reasons)

Bring water on the bike and keep some at the transition

I carry a multi tool pack

Hope I answered everything!  Good luck - you can do it!

2004-07-20 10:28 AM

New user
Boston area

Thanks Cathy!   I am curious about why you put  a shirt on before the bike?  Does this help you feel more dry?  Do you use a regular T-shirt or one of those fancy wicking fabric shirts ? 

Thanks again.  Any additional advice appreciated! 

2004-07-20 10:29 AM

New user
Boston area
Oh, also, do people wear sunglasses and/or hats?  I hate wearing a hat but I notice it is on all the checklists. 
2004-07-20 10:30 AM

Online or Offline
Hi Deb!

First of all, whoever it was that told you that you were nuts to use a mtb on a mini certainly must know what s/he is talking about and probably has the answers to all your tri questions as well!! No, really........Do the tri, use the mtb -- unless it would be obviously unsafe for you to ride said bike. This is my first full triathlon season (tried a mini last year and was hopelessly hooked), and this year, I've done 2 int'l/oly distances on my mountain bike (but I did use semi-slicks for tires). I'm still using the same bike! Your goal is to finish the mini and have fun doing it. When you decide that you love the sport, then invest in a road or tri bike. If I was worried about showing up with a more "appropriate" bike, I'd still not be taking part of the racing season! My husband sees how much I obviously love it, and we agreed on my purchasing a road bike soon.........wish I had it sooner, but that's ok. Like me, you don't seem to be a serious biker, so just deal with whichever two wheels you have now........you'll get bike crazy soon enough.

I think that so close to the race, you'd be more wise to spend time getting more familiar with the ocean and looking forward to the great time you will have. Just make sure you don't overdo it and show up at the race sore and burned out from overdoing it.

I wear a regular Champion sports bra and compression shorts underneath my wetsuit, and when I get out of my wetsuit at T1, I just throw my shirt w/ bib # on, and slide on bike shorts. Like you, I would NOT imagine running in just a bathing suit for a top. When I did my mini which had a pool swim, alot of women biked and ran in their bathing suits, race bibs on a belt. At my last oly, I even saw one lady biking and running in her bathing suit...I am sure there was more than just her who chose to do that, I just didn't see them. Obviously she wasn't doing it merely to shave valuable minutes off of her time to win since she was finishing in back where I was, probably it was just her preference.

You can bring a balloon if you want. Just be careful not to hog up valuable bike rack space, maybe tie it to the end of the rack? Your bike rack roomies will love you for it because it'll help them too! I normally count how many racks from one end of the transition area to help me find it. I am sure one day I'll come out of the water not remembering, but oh well. Makes it sportier.

Of course it's ok to walk! Lots of people walk during the run......and lots of people tread water during the swim for a short break. Even in marathons, people PLAN on walking during the "run"!

Music.....no. Not allowed in USAT sanctioned events. You won't need it. Trust me. I always train with music but I never once felt I needed it during an event. There will be too much you'll miss with headphones on. The sound of a volunteer or spectator clapping and cheering for you is plenty enough music for your ears!

For your mini, you'll be fine w/ a water bottle on your bike. I doubt they will have bottle handups on the course. Does your bike have a bottle cage? Cheap to add one on, about $7. Or if you need to, just wear your regular water bottle waist belt on the bike, keep it on for the run if you want. Upgrade to the waterbottle cage next time.

Just go out and have fun. Finish, walk if you need to, but I bet you won't. Don't obsess over the wheels for this triathlon, spend your time wisely getting friendly with the ocean than running around looking for another bike. Next time, plan a little earlier if you want to rent a bike or go shopping for one. You may never know......like me, maybe plugging along on the mountain bike won't be so bad that you actually could stand riding it again in a race. And then another.

*Disclaimer: once you start learning about tri bikes, even road bikes, you'll become WICKED obsessed. Then when you finally try riding just a current model road bike, you'll get addicted. And you Bostonians know that using the word "wicked" means it's pretty damn goooood. I researched a Cervelo P3....PISSA! LOL And the yummy custom paint jobs on 'em come from Woosta. Good lord...

Have fun at your tri! Let us know how you do!

2004-07-20 10:32 AM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Let's see, one at a time here:

o What to wear. Being a guy, I don't have much advice in the 'support' department. I'd suggest looking at a tri top to wear under the wetsuit. Basically a sports bra kinda thing, but made from non-cotton materials so that it is better suited for being in the water.

o Some people do bring balloons. I've found that just walking from the swim exit through the T area to my bike a few times works just fine
for me. I've not had any problems finding my stuff.

o Walking is fine. There are people at every race I've done that walk part or all of the run. Do what you have to do to finish.

o I've ridden my mountain bike in all the races I've done. If you aren't sure you're comitted, taking the plunge for a tri bike is probably not
advisable. I would suggest either way, looking at getting a bike that fits you. At this point, just before the race, don't change anything or try
anything different.

o Most races don't let you use any kind of headphones during the race. Check your rules and ask if you're not sure. You don't want to get
DQ'ed over something silly like this.

o I bring water on the bike. On the run, they'll probably have water stations, but on the bike, obviously it's a bit harder, so you should plan
on bringing your own.

o I keep tools ( spare tire, tire bars, pump, allen wrench, etc. in my transition bag ). I don't bring them on the ride though. If you have them,
and have a small seat bag or something, ( the kind that hangs under the seat of your bike ) it might not be a bad idea to bring. If you don't
have them, I wouldn't rush out and buy them just for the race.

There are also a couple good articles on the main site here, about other first time experiences, tips, and such.

Good luck on Saturday!

-Chris

2004-07-20 10:37 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
I put a shirt on because I'm not *comfortable* wearing just a bra and tri shorts!
2004-07-20 10:42 AM

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado

Forgot to answer the other part of your question.  I do use a wicking shirt

Advice:  relax - the race is fun!  this is what you've been training for in the first place

2004-07-20 10:45 AM

Online or Offline
remember the checklists you are probably reading are generic.

The checklist I first used, I had to add:

rubber band for hair: check
hat? negative. Visor?: check

Use a hat or visor if you want to. If your face burns easily and it's sunny that day, maybe you might want to wear a hat or visor. Maybe you won't need sunglasses if it rains on your race. Sunglasses are good if you are biking through a swarm of flies too. Just bring stuff to be prepared in case of changing weather!

Go do your race already and have FUN!
2004-07-20 10:52 AM

Online or Offline
.......and Debbie,

When you get to the race and you still don't know something, just ASK the other athletes!

You will meet some of the nicest people and make some really great friends. Promise!
2004-07-20 10:58 AM

You're good on training. Race day adrenaline helps. I've only done one tri (and watched my friend in 5) but my advice would be to get in the ocean as much as possible before Saturday. I'm not saying you should flat out swim but, instead, practice breathing, breathing, breathing and sighting, sighting, sighting. Those were the two most challenging aspects for me.

Your equipment is good to go. If you have any money I would suggest two things. One is a BRIGHT towel to put your equipment on. You can count the rows of racks but a bright towel will give you added security that you could spot your area a tad easier. The other purchase I would suggest is a hydration pack (with a tube) for the bike--kind of expensive ($30-$40) but I find it much less distracting than reaching for a water bottle in a cage and putting it back. I hydrate adequately with one of these whereas I tend to forget with a water bottle. Just my preference and something to think about.

Most of all have fun and enjoy the process. No matter how much time it takes you give yourself a HUGE High 5 at the end of each leg.
Ginny

2004-07-20 11:10 AM

New user
Boston area

This is really good advice thanks!  Actually my friend never did a triathlon - she was giving me advice based on what she has heard from her husband and some other friends that have done tris... so I really appreciate your advice.  I never thought of a bright towel - that is a good idea.  I have swam in a lake a lot but I don't think it will be possible for me to get back to the ocean again before the race except maybe the day before. 

Deb

2004-07-20 11:11 AM

Connecticut
My only suggestion would be to go out there and have a great time. I've only done one sprint and saw all kinds of bikes, clothes, people. Wear what you'd feel most comfortable in, I would say throw on a t-shirt for the bike/run w/ your tri shorts.
No matter what, you probably won't feel as ready as you'd like to be. this is a totally new experience - I was so nervous, I didn't even want to go! Just settle in to the feelings and enjoy. You'll only have one first tri - they're great!
Good Luck, relax and have fun!!!!
oooh, don't forget the sunscreen - put on the waterproof stuff in the morning!
2004-07-20 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
One last thing--the reason many pull on a shirt over sports bra and tri-shorts is because you don't want to wear your bib # under that wetsuit, and it will take too long to pin on, unless you have a running belt (which is your other option), so lots of people pin the number on a (hopefully) non cotton shirt before the race, and then pull it on after the swim. Or clip on the running belt if you feel comfortable running in just the sports bra and shorts.

Do your best to stay away from cotton (socks, sportsbra and shirt) Cotton does not draw moisture away from the skin AT ALL, so will save you from chaffing, etc. Also, you'll feel so much cooler--I always thought cotton was pretty breathable... but just wait until you try material with some sort of wicking!! So much better!

HAVE A TON OF FUN!! Don't stress if you have to back off the pace, or walk--keep your head up, and enjoy the moment!!

Dana
2004-07-20 12:38 PM

Regular
north end of vancouver island, BC, Canada
Hi Deb, I'm so excited for you. I just did my first sprint on Sunday.

I brought a towel to lay my transition stuff out on (good especially if the ground is damp or dewy). I piled the shoes & clothing up, in the order in which it would be put on. I chose a snug fitting top (with a shelf bra) and found it hard to pull on over top of my bathing suit. I will use a tank next time, or maybe invest in a 2 piece tri suit.
I bought a cheap, but extremely colourful handtowel and draped that over my seat. When I got to the bike, I grabbed it and put it on the ground to dry my feet and proceeded to put on my gear.

Everyone has pretty much covered your questions....so good luck on your tri!!

Have fun!!

Darlene

Edited by dolly 2004-07-20 12:39 PM
2004-07-20 1:31 PM

Hi Deb,

Just wanted to encourage you. I finished my first tri on Sunday and posted to this board on the Sat. night before complete freaked out. I felt the way you did -- did not get in nearly enough training and hadn't even complete all of the distances and my tri went great!!

Just start the swimming nice and slow and if you have trouble getting your breath -- rest and then try to get into your rhythm. I had tried the open water swim 4 days before and at that time could not complete the distance. Its amazing how energized you will feel at the actual race itself and how much farther you can go.

Best of Luck and have an awesome time!!

2004-07-20 1:59 PM

Connecticut
oh, one good tip i learned at my tri, if you're going to put socks on after your swim, try folding them over almost half way (the top of the sock toward the toe)and then lay them on top of your shoes - that way you put the socks on over your toes and un-do the fold - avoiding pulling a bunching sock on when your feet are still wet/sandy...it'll save a tiny bit of frustration in the transition
2004-07-20 5:59 PM
in reply to: #39077

You can take comfort in knowing that you are not the only first timer freaking out! I am 3 1/2 weeks away from my first and my intestines are already acting up!! Anyway, as far as what to wear, I just bought a black sports bra to wear under my blue and black swimsuit. Does not look too bad either. I am going to throw on shorts for the bike and run. Don't want everyone to see my fat bouncing around on the run!
2004-07-20 9:52 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Thanks for posting - I have 10 days to my first and like you, am getting nervous- thanks all with the WICKED GOOD advice,
2004-07-21 12:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonton, Alberta
First and foremost the advice on this site is great!!

It is great to be able to hear from all the people in the same spot as you are.

As far as clothes, I'm a Guy ok enough said.

As far as the bike is concerned well others have already said it you will be fine with the MB.
Maybe get some slicks for the bike, other then that do not worry just get out and ride.

NO Headsets..... believe me you will not need them and as somebody else said you are going to love hearing all of the way to go comments and it is an awesome feeling.

Have Fun

Roy
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Last Minute Freaking Out Questions for first timer Rss Feed