General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swimming Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-16 11:24 AM

Subject: Open Water Swimming Advice
Last weekend was the ow practice swim for the Oly I've entered for this weekend. I'm comfortable swimming the distance in the pool non-stop (note: comfortable, not fast), but for some reason I felt like I forgot how swim in the lake. I don't know if I started out too fast and just didn't exhale properly, but I was struggling and had to breaststroke at times. It's really discouraging so close to the race. I appreciate any tips for keeping it "together" on race day.

2016-08-16 11:41 AM
in reply to: cmbell

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Open Water Swimming Advice

Some things that may help:

* Make sure you get past the "gasp reaction" before you start swimming. Putting your face in cold (or cool) water causes an automatic reaction to hold your breath. That subsides as you get used to the temperature, but if you start swimming while still in that state, you'll find yourself in oxygen debt quickly and will have a heck of a time getting past it.

* In the pool, I breathe on either every third stroke (alternating sides) or do a 2-3-2-3 alternating pattern. Often in the open water I will end up doing a continuous 2 pattern (on one side constantly), and sometimes need to switch sides for waves/sun/sighting. Upshot -- you may need to take a breath more often in open water.

* Sighting can be an issue for a lot of people, and the trick is to time it and make it brief enough that your feet aren't dropping in the water. Don't worry too much if you don't get a full view of your surroundings on any particular stroke, just take a mental snapshot and start processing it. Take another mental snapshot on the next stroke and refine your course.

Hope that helps.

2016-08-16 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
A thread on OWS was done a while back with some nice pointers.

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...
2016-08-16 3:10 PM
in reply to: #5195382

In my experience what helps me is to warmups in the water prior to the actual swim so you can get your body adjusted to the temp. Start out easy and focus on the breathing. Dont worry If you have to take a couple of breast stokes to get you in the groove and back in track. Good luck and I am sure you will do great.
2016-08-23 1:35 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice. I did take advantage of the pre-race warm up which seemed to help significantly. The water was 83 degrees so there was no wetsuit nor really the need to acclimate to the temperature, but it was useful just to get in without the pressure of the clock or other people thrashing around next to me. Normally I am a bilateral breather, but I found it difficult to sight from the right side so I primarily stuck to breathing on the left. All in all, my time was as good as I could have hoped for.
2016-08-23 1:57 PM
in reply to: 0

edit:

Great job!

If it felt "OK"ish this time. Next time can be great.

Edited by jhaack39 2016-08-23 1:58 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water Swimming Advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Seeking Open Water Swim Advice...A Scary Experience!

Started by tommybull3
Views: 1645 Posts: 19

2006-06-27 2:37 PM tommybull3

Need some open water swimming advice.

Started by Crash_Man
Views: 1637 Posts: 14

2006-05-17 10:28 PM donmck

Very Worried - In need of open water swim advice

Started by spkd49
Views: 1520 Posts: 11

2005-07-04 10:25 AM rabkaman

Very Worried - In need of open water swim advice

Started by spkd49
Views: 992 Posts: 7

2005-07-18 10:07 PM misscullen

Open Water Swim Advice

Started by indiancrossover
Views: 984 Posts: 6

2005-06-06 9:54 PM cadreamer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Open Water Training: Tips to Improve Your Breathing Technique

date : April 29, 2016
author : CoachSarah
comments : 3
Learn how to prepare and avoid the cold water freak-out
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.