General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hey everyone Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-16 10:37 PM

Subject: Hey everyone
Hey there, name is Houston, I am a native of Jacksonville, FL. I served 8 years in the Marines. Basically, I want a new challenge so this is something I am passionate about getting in to. I am starting from scratch, so any tips, suggestions are much appreciated. See ya on the road!

2016-08-17 10:11 AM
in reply to: Hrobin124

User image

Aledo, Texas
Subject: RE: Hey everyone

Welcome, and thank you for your service.

I started tri last year. I found a few different beginner plans on this site, in particular, getting up to snuff on the swim. That was really helpful, and made the training for my first race a lot better. I used a custom plan on this site for my first race. I was a bit disappointed with it in some respects. It used the race distance and came up with what I thought were some downright silly times/distances for training (example - swim workout of 9 minutes). But, it was a lot cheaper than hiring a coach, and I did not feel comfortable coming up with my own training plan. I finished my first race, and I was fit enough for it. So, that was a positive.

This year, I hired a coach. I've found that to be much more helpful, more specifically tailored to my abilities and needs. If you can afford it, I suggest it. My bike performance has increased significantly.

Look forward to hearing about your progress and success!

2016-08-18 9:03 AM
in reply to: LundyLund

Welcome and thank you for your service. Jump in, do a sprint or two to start and you will be hooked! I started down this road last year at age 59.
2016-08-22 9:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Welcome marine! Fellow squid here - go NAVY!

Triathlon is a great challenge. This forum is a great place to learn and discuss everything that is triathlon and there's many tips out there. If you want a free plan shoot me a note, I have a beginner 12 week plan that could start you off on the training part.

Good luck!
2016-08-23 2:23 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Welcome to the Tri World!

Like the others have said, just jump in, get a plan, and train. Have fun with it! Triathlon can be as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. For the first race just work on getting to distance in and having fun. After that, you'll be hooked
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hey everyone Rss Feed