General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shifter Recommendations Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-18 4:03 PM

Subject: Shifter Recommendations
Hello all -

I am prepping for my first triathlon (a sprint) and would like to change my road bike shifters from Shimano Revo to a Shimano STI set. My bike is a 21-speed with a Shimano derailleur and caliper brakes.

Can anyone give me a recommendation of what will work?

Total noob here.

Thanks
TD

2016-08-18 6:10 PM
in reply to: tomdwyeriv

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Shifter Recommendations
thats a slippery slope to go down. You obviously have an older bike so upgrading to new shifters will entail upgrading to 10 or 11 speed which means new shifters, deraileurs, cassette and chain, possibly chain rings too??.

Used you will need to find some older RSX shifters which might work - I cant say I have any experience with 7 speed set ups. I would suggest talking to an old guy at the LBS about your upgrade plans

Here is one on Ebay - probably the best bet to keep it reasonable (if it works with your deraileurs).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RSX-3-X-7-Speed-Shifters-STI-Shimano-/11209...
2016-08-18 6:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Save yourself a headache and buy good used bike with the shifters you want.
Keep the bike you have for commuting and early season rides.
2016-08-19 9:50 AM

Thanks!

While I did purchase this bike new back in 2011 - it literally has only about 200+ miles on it and 95% of those are within the last 2 months as I have started riding for this sprint triathlon. So I would prefer not to spend hundreds of dollars yet until I complete my first event to see if I'll do more...my gut tells me I will but until then...trying to not get to deep.

I am thinking of replacing the shifters because I just don't like them and the feel very much like a "kids" bike.

Based on both of your responses though...brings another question to mind...am I hurting myself with a 7 speed bike? Should that be my starting point to determine if upgrading or buying a used bike is the way to go?

Thanks again
TD
2016-08-20 8:35 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
By the time you've replaced the shifters, front/rear derailleur, cassette, chain, cables, housing, etc. you might just as well buy a used bike with the equipment you want...

Also, the spacing of a 7 speed wheel is different than 9 and 10, which means that those won't fit in your frame. Basically, you can't really upgrade.

As to if you're hurting yourself... the answer is the unliked, it depends... if it's flat, then not really that much (you will have some larger steps between gears, so it's a bit more of a challenge finding the right gear as you will be slightly overgeared or undergeared); if it's hilly, then more than likely yes you will compromise your time, you won't have enough gears on the high end or the low end.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shifter Recommendations Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Shimano Shifters/Brakes

Started by summer_2005
Views: 470 Posts: 3

2006-03-20 11:00 AM Vaiza

Flightdeck & Bar End Shifters

Started by Shaved_Wookie
Views: 517 Posts: 1

2005-12-30 6:22 PM Shaved_Wookie

Bar End Shifters

Started by iabiker
Views: 1222 Posts: 13

2005-10-03 9:21 PM jldicarlo

aerobar shifters

Started by KathyG
Views: 1898 Posts: 11

2005-06-30 6:53 AM Joe M

Dura Ace bar-end shifters

Started by jryals
Views: 885 Posts: 1

2004-09-05 3:00 PM jryals
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 19, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Don't power through your off season! Rest and take it easy. Our doctors tell you why rest is important, how long to rest, and what training and exercises you should be doing.

date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.
date : April 2, 2006
author : TriDoc5280
comments : 2
This article will cover the basics on the nutritional needs of athletes and will include some standard recommendations from neutral bodies.