General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I have an insane hatred of draft legal racing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2016-08-19 1:37 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: I have an insane hatred of draft legal racing
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by nc452010  ...I cannot fathom the argument against having each competitor rely only on his own power (no drafting)...

I think this is why you don't see it.  You seem to think they're racing less hard because of the drafting.  The truth is, they're racing just as hard, if not harder, because they don't have the luxury of riding their own race.  They're hammering the whole time.  Drafting doesn't allow them to ride any easier on the bike.  All it does is make the whole field go faster.

Look at it this way...ignoring the tactics and surges present in DL racing for a moment...if you can ride an Oly at 220 watts, and still run well,  whether the entire race was in calm conditions, you were "penalized" by a 5 mph headwind the whole way, or "aided" by a 5 mph tailwind the whole way, the ride was just as hard for you.  If you choose to back off when you had the tailwind, you turn in a slower time than you were capable of.  If you ride harder in response to the headwind, you're more likely to blow up, and turn in a slower time than you were capable of.  The point is, regardless of any perceived benefit of drafting, there really isn't one, because everyone has it, so no one is riding easier than they would under NDL rules.

They're all relying on their own power the whole way, only now, as I and others said earlier, there's no room for weakness.  The best balanced triathletes win most of the time.

Balanced?

I think I'm out. It's been fun.

2016-08-19 1:54 PM
in reply to: #5195852

The guy on the front doesn't have a drafting benefit. Given that, I'll let you pull and save myself for the run. Watts are watts, and if we're evenly matched otherwise, I'll have more left in the tank at the end. I'm basing this on 10+ years of pace line riding at 5000+ miles/yr.

...and the Junior Elites would smoke NDL races if there werent any DL races. That goes without saying, but I think we're making 2 or 3 separate points here. Sort of like arguing religion. Gotta go, it's been fun.
2016-08-19 2:02 PM

Master
Northern IL

Go back and read my scenario again. You're making my point, for me. I wasn't implying the person in front was riding in a peleton. And....if I can ride 26 on my own......and a group of EQUALLY fast triathletes can ride 28......well, again you make the point why I don't like it. I'm not making personal insults or jabs at any of you. We simply disagree on this. I can live with that.

Ok.  I did, and the problem with your scenario is that it's so rare that it may as well be described as something that never happens.  If someone isn't a strong enough swimmer to come out of the water with the lead swimmers, it doesn't matter how great of a cyclist or runner they are.  They've already lost, because everyone else in the race is also a great cyclist and runner, AND swimmer.  DL racing makes the swim much more important than it is in NDL racing.  In NDL racing, even pros can come out of the water with the faster than average AGers, then bike and run their way up onto the podium.  They can be a gifted duathlete, yet still do very well in NDL triathlon.  That simply doesn't happen in DL racing.

Don, you're also saying a lot about the riding being just as hard. It's not really like that, more that it's different though the end result can end up with similar numbers. Thinking of some files Matt Chrabot shared with ST before. NDL is more strong & steady while DL puts in much harder/sharper surges in there trying to break things apart and/or soften the others up. Both take training to handle that isn't being conveyed saying "just as hard". Just regarding this, I don't know that one is outright better than the other either. More of a preference in what one likes to watch or do.

I mean, it's definitely more balanced, but I don't know why there would be something inherently wrong with the duathlete type race like Keinle & Sanders have in the past. Or a Starky type breaking way out front and seeing if (when) he'll get caught. There is excitement in that too. Seeing how very different racers get to the finish line the fastest. A lot of ITU racers seem like more or less the same guy even though they are very good athletes. Even though there are loads of strategic moves within the race, there doesn't seem to be as great of a contrast in strategies overall. If that makes sense.

2016-08-19 2:05 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Originally posted by brigby1

How much does that actually happens? If I'm getting the names right, Spain's 3rd best guy was up in the break while the better runners were back in the chase. The top 2 guys did do much of the work in the break while the 30-some guys in the chase group never caught up. Those two up there really don't get caught on the run when they have over a minute advantage either. I couldn't tell as much myself, but from others who know more it sounds like the better runners in the chase were trying to push more in getting back up or limiting the damage in the gap.

It's much more common in women's racing, and specifically team USA. Sarah Haskins does this all the time.

Ex: "In Edmonton, Haskins was ahead of Jorgensen on the swim, but (due to her injury) had a slower T1. After catching up to Jorgensen and the chase pack on the bike, Haskins took the lead and pulled the group for the final few laps, cutting into the leaders’ time, before she dropped out on the run. Jorgensen used a 33:24 10K to take the victory and gold in the ITU series. “That was awesome that I just had the opportunity to be able to help USA Triathlon and help Gwen in any way I could,” Haskins says. From http://triathlon.competitor.com/2015/02/features/sarah-haskins-back...

She writes an interesting account of her role in last year's Pan Am Games in a blog post (http://www.sarahhaskins.com/event/2015-toronto-pan-american-games/) Some key parts: "I waited in transition another 45 seconds before getting onto my bike and soft-pedaled down the road for a mile or so. I could see a pack behind me and once the pack merged with me I attacked to see if I could get the other Americans away with me... The main objective, my job, was to ensure an American could get off the bike in the lead pack with having to do as little of work on the bike as possible. Mission was accomplished and Chelsea Burns had a great run and just missed the podium in fifth position."

It happens in Men's racing too. In London 2012 Team GB put Stuart Hayes on the team specifically to be a domestique for the Brownlees. Gordon Benson had the same job in Rio but it didn't seem necessary. Eric Lagerstrom has had that job a few times too, like at last year's Pan Am games.

Matt Chrabot, who does long course now, was also an ITU domestique and writes an interesting first hand account here (http://www.mattchrabot.com/2011/10/pan-american-games/) To whit: "Fretta and I were competing only to put Manny in the best position to win. Mark and I weren’t even interested in our own performances. I gave up one of the best swims I’ve had all season to drop back and wait for Mark and Manny. There was a gap of about 15 seconds at one point during the first lap of the bike. Two Brazilians, Brent McMahon, and some other strong cyclists were trying to pull away. I could have easily been a part of that and raced for a podium position on my own, but chose to soft pedal the first 1km so I can bring my boys up to the leaders. For the rest of the bike, Mark and I would let gaps open up and force some of the stronger runners around us to close the gaps. Slowly, but surely we zapped as much energy as we could out of everyone. All but the eventual winner, Reinaldo Colucci. He was one of the only guys in the race who trained specifically for this race since June. Manny was admitted to the race less than two weeks before. Mark led Manny into T2, just in front of the group so he would have the best advantage on the run. At that point we’ve done our jobs and it was all up to Manny to seal the deal."
2016-08-19 2:11 PM
in reply to: RussTKD

User image

Originally posted by RussTKD

Originally posted by nc452010 When Mara got 4th in the Olympic road race.........is it because she is not as strong as the other three individuals that beat her.......or, is it simply that she wasn't as strong as the other 3 that beat her, together?

She wasn't as strong as the three that beat her while they were working together.  Once Van Vleuten crashed out, it was a matter of if Abbot could hold on.  Had Van Vleuten backed off a bit on the descent and worked with Abbot they very well could have gone 1-2 and that chase pack would have been sprinting for bronze.

Drafting changes everything in bicycle racing.

And one also has to remember that the goal of draft legal racing, or a lot of sports in general, is not to crown the winner based on pure fitness.  Strategy, decision making, the ability to handle specific situations, and luck come into play in a lot of sports to determine the winner.

2016-08-19 2:13 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis Comparing the two racing styles isn't quite apples to oranges, but at least two very different apples - crab apples to granny smith? Non-draft-legal racing is more honest racing. It's about who is the best swim-bike-runner and who can get from start to finish fastest. The fact that in DL racing you have domestiques who will wait around in transition so they can shepherd their teammates through the bike leg, burying themselves to leave their teammate fresh for the run... you can't really say the best triathlete wins the race in that scenario. That makes DL racing something quite different from what triathlon has traditionally been. Both DL and NDL are interesting and have their merits. Personally I find NDL more exciting to watch, but DL is interesting in different ways. I'll never race DL, but I enjoy watching both.

How much does that actually happens? If I'm getting the names right, Spain's 3rd best guy was up in the break while the better runners were back in the chase. The top 2 guys did do much of the work in the break while the 30-some guys in the chase group never caught up. Those two up there really don't get caught on the run when they have over a minute advantage either. I couldn't tell as much myself, but from others who know more it sounds like the better runners in the chase were trying to push more in getting back up or limiting the damage in the gap.

That virtually never happens in the men's race....it's like an urban legend that beer leaguers tell around the campfire.     It happened quite a bit early in Gwen's career so that she could take advantage of that monster run.....but not anymore, she no longer needs it. 

Just because it's not common in the junior leagues doesn't make it an "urban legend". I understand that your knowledge of DL racing comes from watching your kid race, but being a soccer mom doesn't make you an expert at how the game is played at the World Cup level.

2016-08-19 3:43 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I kind of see it more like a race. There are time trails and mass start races. I find mass start races more exciting. Like for the 100m, we don't just send people off one at a time and record their time. I know it isn't the same thing, but in my head I equate draft legal racing to be more like mass start racing which is more exciting to me.

I have no hate for the other sports though. In fact, my friends won a bronze in the team pursuit which is definitely a race against the clock and man that was exciting.

2016-08-19 4:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis

Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis Comparing the two racing styles isn't quite apples to oranges, but at least two very different apples - crab apples to granny smith? Non-draft-legal racing is more honest racing. It's about who is the best swim-bike-runner and who can get from start to finish fastest. The fact that in DL racing you have domestiques who will wait around in transition so they can shepherd their teammates through the bike leg, burying themselves to leave their teammate fresh for the run... you can't really say the best triathlete wins the race in that scenario. That makes DL racing something quite different from what triathlon has traditionally been. Both DL and NDL are interesting and have their merits. Personally I find NDL more exciting to watch, but DL is interesting in different ways. I'll never race DL, but I enjoy watching both.

That virtually never happens in the men's race....it's like an urban legend that beer leaguers tell around the campfire.     It happened quite a bit early in Gwen's career so that she could take advantage of that monster run.....but not anymore, she no longer needs it. 

Just because it's not common in the junior leagues doesn't make it an "urban legend". I understand that your knowledge of DL racing comes from watching your kid race, but being a soccer mom doesn't make you an expert at how the game is played at the World Cup level.

LOL - I've been to 3 WTS races, including 2 world championships, 6 Continental cup races, and watched maybe 25 WTS races,.....additionally, I coached Jrs. for a team whose coach has had 3 athletes in WTS races and 2 World cup athletes (the step below WTS).......and I can't even find a Holiday Inn.    Moreover, I don't know how much time I have on this earth.....but I'm well ahead of my plan to never kick a soccer ball in my entire life. 

BTW - Sarah was paid by Gwen......we  talked about it.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-08-19 5:18 PM
2016-08-19 5:44 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Go back and read my scenario again. You're making my point, for me. I wasn't implying the person in front was riding in a peleton. And....if I can ride 26 on my own......and a group of EQUALLY fast triathletes can ride 28......well, again you make the point why I don't like it. I'm not making personal insults or jabs at any of you. We simply disagree on this. I can live with that.

Ok.  I did, and the problem with your scenario is that it's so rare that it may as well be described as something that never happens.  If someone isn't a strong enough swimmer to come out of the water with the lead swimmers, it doesn't matter how great of a cyclist or runner they are.  They've already lost, because everyone else in the race is also a great cyclist and runner, AND swimmer.  DL racing makes the swim much more important than it is in NDL racing.  In NDL racing, even pros can come out of the water with the faster than average AGers, then bike and run their way up onto the podium.  They can be a gifted duathlete, yet still do very well in NDL triathlon.  That simply doesn't happen in DL racing.

Don, you're also saying a lot about the riding being just as hard. It's not really like that, more that it's different though the end result can end up with similar numbers. Thinking of some files Matt Chrabot shared with ST before. NDL is more strong & steady while DL puts in much harder/sharper surges in there trying to break things apart and/or soften the others up. Both take training to handle that isn't being conveyed saying "just as hard". Just regarding this, I don't know that one is outright better than the other either. More of a preference in what one likes to watch or do.

I mean, it's definitely more balanced, but I don't know why there would be something inherently wrong with the duathlete type race like Keinle & Sanders have in the past. Or a Starky type breaking way out front and seeing if (when) he'll get caught. There is excitement in that too. Seeing how very different racers get to the finish line the fastest. A lot of ITU racers seem like more or less the same guy even though they are very good athletes. Even though there are loads of strategic moves within the race, there doesn't seem to be as great of a contrast in strategies overall. If that makes sense.

Of course the power files will look completely different between the steady efforts in NDL and the spiky profiles seen in DL.  What I was saying was that in both cases, they're racing as hard as they can that will still allow them to run.  It was in response to the comments that implied that in DL people can just sit in the pack and be pulled along instead of riding hard.  I didn't mean to imply that tactics or race execution were the same, because they're not.

There's not a thing wrong with an unbalanced athlete doing well in NDL racing.  The rules allow that as a viable strategy for some athletes like those you mention, Ben.  The entire point of this conversation is whether doing well at the higher levels of DL racing requires a more balanced triathlete with little relative weaknesses compared to NDL.

FWIW, it's not my opinion that DL rules make it a necessity for anyone who wants to be competitive to be a balanced triathlete with few relative weaknesses.  It's a well established principle among coaches and competitive athletes.  Gwen Jorgensen is a good example of a DL triathlete who had to elevate her swim to a level similar to those of her bike and run before she could compete for the podium at the top level.  Her swim, though fast, wasn't quite fast enough for her to come out of the water with the lead pack, so she was always playing catch up on the bike, burning too many matches to be able to unleash her full running abilities.  Once she improved her swim, she began dominating.

Edited by TriMyBest 2016-08-19 5:45 PM
2016-08-19 6:10 PM
in reply to: #5195746

Sarasota, Florida
Theres no right or wrong here, were discussing different benchmarks. The job is getting to point a to b the fastest, but one is based off individual effort, while the other is based off pack effort it just adds a dimension of strategy.
2016-08-19 6:22 PM

Master
Northern IL

Of course the power files will look completely different between the steady efforts in NDL and the spiky profiles seen in DL.  What I was saying was that in both cases, they're racing as hard as they can that will still allow them to run.  It was in response to the comments that implied that in DL people can just sit in the pack and be pulled along instead of riding hard.  I didn't mean to imply that tactics or race execution were the same, because they're not.

There's not a thing wrong with an unbalanced athlete doing well in NDL racing.  The rules allow that as a viable strategy for some athletes like those you mention, Ben.  The entire point of this conversation is whether doing well at the higher levels of DL racing requires a more balanced triathlete with little relative weaknesses compared to NDL.

FWIW, it's not my opinion that DL rules make it a necessity for anyone who wants to be competitive to be a balanced triathlete with few relative weaknesses.  It's a well established principle among coaches and competitive athletes.  Gwen Jorgensen is a good example of a DL triathlete who had to elevate her swim to a level similar to those of her bike and run before she could compete for the podium at the top level.  Her swim, though fast, wasn't quite fast enough for her to come out of the water with the lead pack, so she was always playing catch up on the bike, burning too many matches to be able to unleash her full running abilities.  Once she improved her swim, she began dominating.

Ok, thanks Don. Thought you meant that, but wasn't entirely sure. Figured others might not be either.

2016-08-19 6:24 PM

Master
Northern IL

It's much more common in women's racing, and specifically team USA. Sarah Haskins does this all the time. Ex: "In Edmonton, Haskins was ahead of Jorgensen on the swim, but (due to her injury) had a slower T1. After catching up to Jorgensen and the chase pack on the bike, Haskins took the lead and pulled the group for the final few laps, cutting into the leaders’ time, before she dropped out on the run. Jorgensen used a 33:24 10K to take the victory and gold in the ITU series. “That was awesome that I just had the opportunity to be able to help USA Triathlon and help Gwen in any way I could,” Haskins says. From http://triathlon.competitor.com/2015/02/features/sarah-haskins-back... She writes an interesting account of her role in last year's Pan Am Games in a blog post (http://www.sarahhaskins.com/event/2015-toronto-pan-american-games/) Some key parts: "I waited in transition another 45 seconds before getting onto my bike and soft-pedaled down the road for a mile or so. I could see a pack behind me and once the pack merged with me I attacked to see if I could get the other Americans away with me... The main objective, my job, was to ensure an American could get off the bike in the lead pack with having to do as little of work on the bike as possible. Mission was accomplished and Chelsea Burns had a great run and just missed the podium in fifth position." It happens in Men's racing too. In London 2012 Team GB put Stuart Hayes on the team specifically to be a domestique for the Brownlees. Gordon Benson had the same job in Rio but it didn't seem necessary. Eric Lagerstrom has had that job a few times too, like at last year's Pan Am games. Matt Chrabot, who does long course now, was also an ITU domestique and writes an interesting first hand account here (http://www.mattchrabot.com/2011/10/pan-american-games/) To whit: "Fretta and I were competing only to put Manny in the best position to win. Mark and I weren’t even interested in our own performances. I gave up one of the best swims I’ve had all season to drop back and wait for Mark and Manny. There was a gap of about 15 seconds at one point during the first lap of the bike. Two Brazilians, Brent McMahon, and some other strong cyclists were trying to pull away. I could have easily been a part of that and raced for a podium position on my own, but chose to soft pedal the first 1km so I can bring my boys up to the leaders. For the rest of the bike, Mark and I would let gaps open up and force some of the stronger runners around us to close the gaps. Slowly, but surely we zapped as much energy as we could out of everyone. All but the eventual winner, Reinaldo Colucci. He was one of the only guys in the race who trained specifically for this race since June. Manny was admitted to the race less than two weeks before. Mark led Manny into T2, just in front of the group so he would have the best advantage on the run. At that point we’ve done our jobs and it was all up to Manny to seal the deal."

Thanks for the examples. Shows that it does happen at least on occasion at least. Do you follow enough to say if it happens more regular? I know, could be a tough question.

Edited by brigby1 2016-08-19 6:24 PM
2016-08-19 6:54 PM
in reply to: jeng

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jeng

I kind of see it more like a race. There are time trails and mass start races. I find mass start races more exciting. Like for the 100m, we don't just send people off one at a time and record their time. I know it isn't the same thing, but in my head I equate draft legal racing to be more like mass start racing which is more exciting to me.

I have no hate for the other sports though. In fact, my friends won a bronze in the team pursuit which is definitely a race against the clock and man that was exciting.

Yeah, definitely very different styles. I can't think of great examples, but maybe just exhibiting some of the traits. Golf really goes independent of what the others are doing. Risks taken may be influenced by how well other competitors are doing, but the shots taken really has no direct affect on where your ball goes. They can't block or redirect it. In tennis there will be a much more profound effect as the movement absolutely depends on the what the other does. Whoever imposes their will better tends to win the match.

2016-08-19 8:10 PM
in reply to: kmonie360

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Originally posted by kmonie360

I'm watching the Olympic Tri on screen right now and just renewing my undying hatred of draft legal racing.

If triathlon was a team event it would make sense, but it's not. There is no reason for a fast swimmer to hold back because they need to be in a pack and this isn't the Tour de France where we need everyone to hang out in a pack.

I'm no expert but I'd like to hear others and why they like it/ hate it. It seems like the future, so I'd like to like it eventually.

I see what you (and everyone else) is saying.

I don't hate it, nor am I a fan of it. I'm indifferent to it. Sure, it's super exciting to watch and no doubt they are amazingly strong and fast athletes at all 3 sports. But it's also very tactical.

I much rather watch and see individual efforts win.

Sort of like I enjoy the time trial stages of the Tour much more then I do the other days. Both are great, in different ways, but I rather see the race against the clock.

2016-08-21 8:57 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario

Thanks for the examples. Shows that it does happen at least on occasion at least. Do you follow enough to say if it happens more regular? I know, could be a tough question.

You'll notice all the examples I gave are big races (Olympics, Pan Am, ITU Grand Final). For "regular" races, athletes tend to race for themselves. It's in the "big" races that the domestique role really comes into play as countries will play their cards in such a way as to get the best result possible, and this is where you have athletes selected specifically for the role of domestique. This can lead to some controversial selections as superior athletes may be passed over in favour of role players - examples would be Stuart Hayes being taken over Tim Don for London, and Colin Jenkins being taken over Brent McMahon in Beijing.
2016-08-21 3:36 PM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

Master
Northern IL

You'll notice all the examples I gave are big races (Olympics, Pan Am, ITU Grand Final). For "regular" races, athletes tend to race for themselves. It's in the "big" races that the domestique role really comes into play as countries will play their cards in such a way as to get the best result possible, and this is where you have athletes selected specifically for the role of domestique. This can lead to some controversial selections as superior athletes may be passed over in favour of role players - examples would be Stuart Hayes being taken over Tim Don for London, and Colin Jenkins being taken over Brent McMahon in Beijing.

Yeah, did notice that the selection tends to happen a little more in bigger races, or maybe more so ones where there is country or nationality representation? Although my question isn't so much in the selection process but in the race itself. Has this had a profound effect on the race? Hayes was picked, but did he really have to do anything to help the Brownlees? In the Olympics at least, it doesn't seem like the selection of domestiques has really altered the game though would definitely like to know if this was being overlooked. Gwen got herself up to the front pack on the bike. Sarah & Katie were at the back early on, but they didn't drop back to offer Gwen a wheel to make sure she got there. Spirig badly wanted to do something in the bike, but had no help from anyone, Switzerland or otherwise. Some of that could be her own fault in her methods of attacking, but didn't recognize another up front trying to help her. There could be some things going on, but without seeing more it seems like the domestique potential influence could be getting hyped up a bit.

Spirig could also be an example of the frustrations with drafting. She clearly did the most work on the bike, but not sure she really got anything out of her efforts as she didn't break away and her biggest competition seemed fine. Gwen has certainly gotten better on the bike, but don't know if she's yet on par with the other top racers.

2016-08-21 5:27 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Hayes did do some work in London. It likely wasn't necessary, but he did fulfill his intended role:

"Looking after two of the fastest swimmers in the sport isn’t easy and Hayes came out of the water behind the Brownlees, but when the bike pack coalesced, Hayes went to work.

Many of the ITU’s most successful triathletes simply sit in the pack and wait for the run, but that strategy leaves an athlete at risk for a crash or to miss a breakaway. The Brownlees often try to breakaway on the bike and eliminate many potential competitors before the run, but the course in London is dead flat, making an escape very unlikely. So rather than toiling at the front to stay safe or risk an accident at the back, Britain deployed Hayes. He put himself at the front of the lead bike pack and kept the pace high while sheltering Alistair and Jonathan from the wind. The brisk pace also kept the pack strung out into a line rather than allowing riders to bunch up, which is another potential cause for an accident.

In the end the Brownlees might have been fine without Hayes, but his presence reduced the risk of disaster."
http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2012/08/08/the-brownlee-fac...

As for Rio... Richard Murray accused Benson of blocking the other racers to keep them from getting up to the Brownlees. Not sure if that's legit or not, and once again, probably not necessary, but there it is.
2016-08-21 5:30 PM

, Wisconsin
It's already been said, but I think it is much like the difference between a time trial and a road race. I can see a place for both. As a 62 year old that really hates hitting the ground, I have no desire anymore to ride in a fast pack of riders I don't know. It's enough of a challenge dodging people all over the road in non-draft races. When I was doing tri in my 30s, I would have loved to try draft legal. I certainly enjoyed riding crits and road races.
2016-08-22 8:27 AM
in reply to: kmonie360

User image

Brooklyn, New York
NDL races are as close to "pure" individual racing as it can be. DL brings other components into it, making it a little less "pure" individual performance based. At the elite/pro level, several here have made the point as to why it became called for. Others here have made great points for the balance that a DL race requires. But that should be the goal of any committed triathlete (or for LB...."person who spends significant time trying to improve in triathlons") anyway. The only point that makes me NDL preferred is that DL makes it much much more like a cycling race (which I LOVE - so there's no hatred there), therefore increases the dangers of close quarter racing (on a tt bike nonetheless).
2016-08-22 8:43 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis Hayes did do some work in London. It likely wasn't necessary, but he did fulfill his intended role: "Looking after two of the fastest swimmers in the sport isn’t easy and Hayes came out of the water behind the Brownlees, but when the bike pack coalesced, Hayes went to work. Many of the ITU’s most successful triathletes simply sit in the pack and wait for the run, but that strategy leaves an athlete at risk for a crash or to miss a breakaway. The Brownlees often try to breakaway on the bike and eliminate many potential competitors before the run, but the course in London is dead flat, making an escape very unlikely. So rather than toiling at the front to stay safe or risk an accident at the back, Britain deployed Hayes. He put himself at the front of the lead bike pack and kept the pace high while sheltering Alistair and Jonathan from the wind. The brisk pace also kept the pack strung out into a line rather than allowing riders to bunch up, which is another potential cause for an accident. In the end the Brownlees might have been fine without Hayes, but his presence reduced the risk of disaster." http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2012/08/08/the-brownlee-fac... As for Rio... Richard Murray accused Benson of blocking the other racers to keep them from getting up to the Brownlees. Not sure if that's legit or not, and once again, probably not necessary, but there it is.

Even these don't seem that compelling towards substantially altering the race. "Kind of" or "maybe" at best. The more I think about it, the more I seem fine with it, but in the context of a draft legal race. And probably in one that has the representation like the Olympics where they are more small-sided teams instead of being totally individual, finding myself a bit disappointed there hasn't been more going on, actually. Although, blocking does seem a bit cheap.

2016-08-22 9:15 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Originally posted by brigby1Even these don't seem that compelling towards substantially altering the race. "Kind of" or "maybe" at best. The more I think about it, the more I seem fine with it, but in the context of a draft legal race. And probably in one that has the representation like the Olympics where they are more small-sided teams instead of being totally individual, finding myself a bit disappointed there hasn't been more going on, actually. Although, blocking does seem a bit cheap.

Yeah, I'm not sure how often it actually impacts the race, and you'll never really know because there's so much else going on, hard to say what would have happened without the domestique. Although certainly in cases like the Sarah Haskins examples, it's hard to argue that it was meaningless for her to do what she did. It's funny that the most egregious examples of the use of a domestique are for the guys who need it the least (Brownlees). They're the best athletes in the field, yet team GB repeatedly prioritizes giving them help. Seems ridiculous for them to be so worried about their chances at a podium that they'd employ Benson to block for them in Rio, but then again they've done worse before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1wnu0xzvjo

For which Wiltshire got a 6 month ban. Ultimately it worked though - Alistair won the race and Gomez ended up in 40th.

2016-08-22 9:17 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis Hayes did do some work in London. It likely wasn't necessary, but he did fulfill his intended role: "Looking after two of the fastest swimmers in the sport isn’t easy and Hayes came out of the water behind the Brownlees, but when the bike pack coalesced, Hayes went to work. Many of the ITU’s most successful triathletes simply sit in the pack and wait for the run, but that strategy leaves an athlete at risk for a crash or to miss a breakaway. The Brownlees often try to breakaway on the bike and eliminate many potential competitors before the run, but the course in London is dead flat, making an escape very unlikely. So rather than toiling at the front to stay safe or risk an accident at the back, Britain deployed Hayes. He put himself at the front of the lead bike pack and kept the pace high while sheltering Alistair and Jonathan from the wind. The brisk pace also kept the pack strung out into a line rather than allowing riders to bunch up, which is another potential cause for an accident. In the end the Brownlees might have been fine without Hayes, but his presence reduced the risk of disaster." http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com/2012/08/08/the-brownlee-fac... As for Rio... Richard Murray accused Benson of blocking the other racers to keep them from getting up to the Brownlees. Not sure if that's legit or not, and once again, probably not necessary, but there it is.

Actually no......let me fix it for you.....Many of the ITU's most successful triathletes swim better then 90% of the others so that they are able to catch the front bike pack, which then moves along at an effort that most non-draft legal triathletes couldn't come close to keeping up at because of all the surges, then they out run everyone.

Again......lot's of triathlon "urban legend" in all of the domestique talk.

2016-08-22 12:44 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Ottawa, Ontario

Actually no......let me fix it for you.....Many of the ITU's most successful triathletes swim better then 90% of the others so that they are able to catch the front bike pack, which then moves along at an effort that most non-draft legal triathletes couldn't come close to keeping up at because of all the surges, then they out run everyone.

You're "fixing" it for the author of the article, not me. It was a quote (hence the quotation marks and link at the end).

I agree that you need to be a FOP swimmer to be successful at ITU racing. The cliche is that ITU racing is about whichever swimmer can run the fastest. Not sure if that counts as an "urban legend". Not to say that the bike is unimportant - they're hammering in those races, though it certainly is possible to sit on the back of the lead pack and do less work relative to the ones pulling on the front (depends the course). Certainly having a domestique helps with that. But if you had to pick the order of proficiency you'd need in the three disciplines, I'd think the bike would have to be the lowest priority - if you can't make that lead bike group, your race is essentially over right there, and given the extreme unlikelihood of soloing off the front, you're going to get off the bike in a pack and if you're not a top tier runner, they're going to be running away from you. Do you have to be a strong biker? Absolutely. You've got to be a strong everything. But it may be that you need to swim and run better than 90% of the field, but you could away with just being an above-average biker (again, depending on the course).

In any case, I think you're mistaking a lot of the discussion we're having here as being anti-DL (thread-title and OP notwithstanding). We're merely discussing the differences. Not sure why you're so insistent that domestiques and team tactics don't exist in DL triathlon. To me they're one of the things that makes that style of racing so interesting.
2016-08-22 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

You're "fixing" it for the author of the article, not me. It was a quote (hence the quotation marks and link at the end). I agree that you need to be a FOP swimmer to be successful at ITU racing. The cliche is that ITU racing is about whichever swimmer can run the fastest. Not sure if that counts as an "urban legend". Not to say that the bike is unimportant - they're hammering in those races, though it certainly is possible to sit on the back of the lead pack and do less work relative to the ones pulling on the front (depends the course). Certainly having a domestique helps with that. But if you had to pick the order of proficiency you'd need in the three disciplines, I'd think the bike would have to be the lowest priority - if you can't make that lead bike group, your race is essentially over right there, and given the extreme unlikelihood of soloing off the front, you're going to get off the bike in a pack and if you're not a top tier runner, they're going to be running away from you. Do you have to be a strong biker? Absolutely. You've got to be a strong everything. But it may be that you need to swim and run better than 90% of the field, but you could away with just being an above-average biker (again, depending on the course). In any case, I think you're mistaking a lot of the discussion we're having here as being anti-DL (thread-title and OP notwithstanding). We're merely discussing the differences. Not sure why you're so insistent that domestiques and team tactics don't exist in DL triathlon. To me they're one of the things that makes that style of racing so interesting.

This just goes to show that you have no understanding of how the race works.  Go to a local crit and just "sit in". You'll see how easy it is for you.

2016-08-22 4:25 PM

User image

Pro

I just went back and looked at my kid's power file from Jr Elite Nationals.(since that's all I have from a recent DL race)  He and a few others have elite cards but they are still working their way forward, obviously, so it's no WTS race.  He was in a chase pack that eventually reeled in all but 2 riders who had a big lead out of the swim.  He and 2 others pulled the majority of the race.  13.2 miles, 4 laps. One of his teammates had been dropped out of the first chase pack on lap 2 so he was working to try to pull him back up since my kid wasn't really in run shape after recovering from mono.  Yes, the eventual winner benefited from the pull, as did others, but still others were spit out the back.  Everybody who stayed in that pack can thrash an AG non drafting race.

Avg. power 314W....doesn't really tell the story with the 90's and 180"s.

Normalized power 346W

Max power 1178W

Avg. speed 24.7

Top speed 39.9

17 times he was over 650 watts.  5 times he was over 800 Watts.  Twice he was over 1000 watts.

Yeah......just get in there and sit in.....oh yeah.....these are children.  

The bike leg of a WTS DL race is insane. 

Edited by Left Brain 2016-08-22 4:51 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I have an insane hatred of draft legal racing Rss Feed  

of 6