General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I have an insane hatred of draft legal racing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2016-08-22 5:10 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: I have an insane hatred of draft legal racing
Originally posted by dmiller5

This just goes to show that you have no understanding of how the race works.  Go to a local crit and just "sit in". You'll see how easy it is for you.

Not sure where you're getting that I said it was easy (in fact I said the opposite). I just said it's possible to sit at the back and avoid pulling up front. I know they're still spiking over 1k watts out of the corners even on the back, but surely the people pulling on the front of the pack are putting out more effort over the bike leg than someone who never takes their turn. It's not about "hard" vs "easy", it's about different riders putting in different effort levels. The course in Rio was a very technical, but do you really think that Spirig did no more work than anyone else on the bike leg? You seem to be arguing that drafting yields no effect in DL racing. If that's the case, why bother drafting at all?

2016-08-22 8:58 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain

It's the best triathlon racing there is.  Lots of strategy and great racing.  Do you have any idea what it is to run a 30:00 10K after a bike that easily hits 1100-1400 watts out of the turns?  I've watched IM winners get schooled by 16-17 year old Jr. elites in a draft legal sprint race. It's FAST.....which is what racing is supposed to be.  Long course triathlon is a joke as far as I'm concerned....the field is full of duffers.

Ok, maybe 700-800w out of turns, I've got to call b.s. on 1100-1400. That is a massive amount of watts. It would only take a few turns before legs were being ripped off.

2016-08-22 9:12 PM
in reply to: ziggie204

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by ziggie204

It's the best triathlon racing there is.  Lots of strategy and great racing.  Do you have any idea what it is to run a 30:00 10K after a bike that easily hits 1100-1400 watts out of the turns?  I've watched IM winners get schooled by 16-17 year old Jr. elites in a draft legal sprint race. It's FAST.....which is what racing is supposed to be.  Long course triathlon is a joke as far as I'm concerned....the field is full of duffers.

Ok, maybe 700-800w out of turns, I've got to call b.s. on 1100-1400. That is a massive amount of watts. It would only take a few turns before legs were being ripped off.

Here are a couple files

Matt Chrabot WTS San Diego
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/47FOUII32ANWJO64PYZE3...

Seth Rider ITU European Championships
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/WVA2VUCQMJOC63YS6FWFU...
2016-08-22 9:25 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by SenatorClayDavis

This just goes to show that you have no understanding of how the race works.  Go to a local crit and just "sit in". You'll see how easy it is for you.

Not sure where you're getting that I said it was easy (in fact I said the opposite). I just said it's possible to sit at the back and avoid pulling up front. I know they're still spiking over 1k watts out of the corners even on the back, but surely the people pulling on the front of the pack are putting out more effort over the bike leg than someone who never takes their turn. It's not about "hard" vs "easy", it's about different riders putting in different effort levels. The course in Rio was a very technical, but do you really think that Spirig did no more work than anyone else on the bike leg? You seem to be arguing that drafting yields no effect in DL racing. If that's the case, why bother drafting at all?

Yeah I'm not sure what his argument is? There's a 30% power saving when drafting behind just one other rider, so sitting at the back is obviously significantly easier. That doesn't mean some gumby cyclist can keep up with a pack of professional cyclists, but someone sitting at the back for the entire bike leg is going to be much less fatigued than someone, like Spirig, who pretty much led from the front the whole way, which included a significant headwind.

Edited by zedzded 2016-08-22 9:32 PM
2016-08-22 10:20 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by zedzded

Yeah I'm not sure what his argument is? There's a 30% power saving when drafting behind just one other rider, so sitting at the back is obviously significantly easier. That doesn't mean some gumby cyclist can keep up with a pack of professional cyclists, but someone sitting at the back for the entire bike leg is going to be much less fatigued than someone, like Spirig, who pretty much led from the front the whole way, which included a significant headwind.

This is not necessarily true.  In fact, the person sitting at the back of a pack in a DL triathlon on a  technical course will get their arse handed to them out of every 90 and `180.....it's a rubberband effect on the pack.  There is a sweet spot in that pack where you can save a bit of energy on someone who is pulling quite a bit, but you still need to be a hell of a cyclist and runner to use that benefit.  The argument, from my end, is against those who somehow seem to think that a DL bike just happens and every benefits from the pack.....that's just crap.  Kanute's not a great runner to begin with against that field, but the bike in Rio trashed him......and he rode near the back of the pack every time I looked in.  He's a very good cyclist.  He broke away form that field in Chicago.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-08-22 10:21 PM
2016-08-22 10:27 PM

User image

Pro

LOL - his avg. cadence was 104 with a 140 max as well......his legs are still attached.    Again, you guys are lost when it comes to what it takes to compete in  DL race at a high level.  For what it's worth.....he goes to 1400 at some point on nearly every computrainer workout he does with his coach.....it's a game for him.

2016-08-23 7:28 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Wait...........so, professional sprinters train and race differently than distance runners.

Who knew?

Edited by nc452010 2016-08-23 7:39 AM
2016-08-23 7:57 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by nc452010 Wait...........so, professional sprinters train and race differently than distance runners. Who knew?

what?

2016-08-23 8:08 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by bcagle25

Here are a couple files Matt Chrabot WTS San Diego http://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/47FOUII32ANWJO64PYZE3... Seth Rider ITU European Championships http://home.trainingpeaks.com/athlete/workout/WVA2VUCQMJOC63YS6FWFU...

How big are these guys? Don't know Seth, but think Matt no more than 145 lbs? They didn't make the 1100+ in these particular races, but still had peaks of 950-1000. Erik's videos show shorter sustained periods of 700 to sometimes breaking 800, so a higher peak within that the display didn't pick up is possible too.

2016-08-23 8:15 AM
in reply to: SenatorClayDavis

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Not sure why you're so insistent that domestiques and team tactics don't exist in DL triathlon.

To some extent they do exist but its not nearly as common as one would think; there are only a few times where it really makes sense to employ these tactics. For the most part the "teams" are going to be the groups that get out of the water together and then work together to either stay away from those behind or chase down those in front. There may be times (say chasing the third Olympic spot) where it may be in the best interest of a nation to try to protect someone in a WTS event to get as many points as possible but usually athletes are chasing their own points and will do what they need to have the best finish. Now, if an athlete is able to swim and ride well but has a running injury, you may seem someone work for someone else but again, this is pretty rare and probably would involve chasing Olympic points for the nation (or someone with a shot at winning offering part of the pay cheque).

Now, the one major case where the domestique came into play was Colin Jenkins in Beijing; did Simon Whitfield need Colin to sit at the front of the bike pack and chase down any breaks? Who knows but that's what he did; Simon and Joel had figured the best chance of Simon being on the podium would be if he could get off the bike with Gomez so Colin set the tone for the bike and didn't let anyone get away. End result, Simon is with the four lead runners and Colin jogs in for 50th. We have seen other NGB try this, such as GB in London although the Brownlee's didn't need anyone, but this is mainly an Olympic play as after the podium, it's not about points.

I have seen it come up in some junior events as well; mainly when there is one great athlete training with a given group and a few solid swim/bikers who can protect that athletes. However, these are almost always smaller events as the team is separated in a stronger field.

One of the major issues with the domestique idea in triathlon is that you really need someone who is a front pack swimmer (to either be out of the water first pack or swim easy with whoever they're working for) who is a beast on the bike but is a terrible runner and is willing to forgo all individual glory. Unlike professional cycling where the domestiques may win individual stages or different races, the great swimmer, great biker, poor runner is never going to have success at the WTS level.

Shane
2016-08-23 8:17 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario

Here's the two most recent Eric Lagerstrom vids where he shows his power during the race. In both cases he seems to top out around 800W, but I'm pretty sure I've seen races where he's redlined (1k+).

Montreal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFEl9688rLQ
Hamburg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNMRE9U9CBM

They train for that kind of stuff so they can do it.

2016-08-23 8:35 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ziggie204 Ok, maybe 700-800w out of turns, I've got to call b.s. on 1100-1400. That is a massive amount of watts. It would only take a few turns before legs were being ripped off.
Here's the two most recent Eric Lagerstrom vids where he shows his power during the race. In both cases he seems to top out around 800W, but I'm pretty sure I've seen races where he's redlined (1k+). Montreal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFEl9688rLQHamburg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNMRE9U9CBMThey train for that kind of stuff so they can do it.

Hamburg seemed to have had 700-800 out of nearly every turn. Saw one get up around 900. The power file linked in that vid shows a 935 max. And don't forget that he was coming off injury for that race, saying he wasn't as well trained as he'd like plus this was in the rain. 1k+ wouldn't surprise me either.

2016-08-23 9:22 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Connecticut
I started this thread just because I like the 'time trial' format bike better than the crit style bike; as a 'biker' thats my preference.

The elite of the elite do DL and thats great - in no way was I making a statement about their athletic ability or training. I guess I'm just a 'time trial' type guy.

And 'extreme' hatred was embellished but if I ever had a chance to race in DL race; I'd do it but I doubt I'd get the right experience due to the time I'd come out of the water in the swim! Haha

2016-08-23 9:51 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Originally posted by Left BrainThe argument, from my end, is against those who somehow seem to think that a DL bike just happens and every benefits from the pack.....that's just crap.

So who are you arguing with? No one in this thread - not even the OP - is saying that. We've been trying to have a discussion about team tactics and, despite the fact that for many that's one of the things that makes us fans of DL racing, somehow you feel threatened by that. It's called "Draft-legal" racing - drafting is a thing. Your repeated responses of "team tactics don't exist!" "domestiques are a myth!" "drafting won't save you any energy!" and "WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT MY SON IS AWESOME!" make me think you're just trolling this thread. The fact that you insist on posting on a site called "Beginner Triathlete" that a) no one on here is actually a triathlete and b) the type of racing we do is inferior/irrelevent suggest that this is all some weird game for your own amusement.
2016-08-23 9:54 AM
in reply to: kmonie360

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Originally posted by kmonie360

I started this thread just because I like the 'time trial' format bike better than the crit style bike; as a 'biker' thats my preference.

The elite of the elite do DL and thats great - in no way was I making a statement about their athletic ability or training. I guess I'm just a 'time trial' type guy.

And 'extreme' hatred was embellished but if I ever had a chance to race in DL race; I'd do it but I doubt I'd get the right experience due to the time I'd come out of the water in the swim! Haha

That's only part of it.

My next race is (and I'm the king of MOP'ers) in 4.5 wks. I'll be in the water for 30 min's or less......on the bike for close to 3 hrs and running for about 2 hrs. Where should a "balanced" person spend the lion's share of their time, training?

It's (DL racing) just "different". It's not "better" or "worse". You can't take the elite of the pro fields in what most consider short-course racing......and compare them to even amateurs doing short-course racing. And, it's highly foolish to attempt to compare them with those racing long-course.

It's just different. I don't like it. You (general statement) do. Good for you!
2016-08-23 10:24 AM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

This is a great example of what sucks about this forum, and why it is dying.  You have a bunch of people who A) don't know what they're doing. and B) When people who do know what they are talking about explain it, they ignore and continue to have no clue.

You have multiple people who have either raced, coached, or been a big part of draft legal racing, explaining that really your perception of it isn't exactly accurate.  Maybe consider listening to them.

Then we get the "why do you even post on beginner triathlete if you know what you're talking about."  Perhaps if the BEGINNERS listened to those who used to be beginners, and now are trying to share with others, they might learn something.  Instead we just get horrendous advice over and over, and a bunch of people who continue to act like beginners, and perpetuate poor training and racing habits.

All the slowtwtitch hate that gets thrown around here...at least slowtwitch can learn from the pros, has a lot of good information, and doesn't put up with the weekend warriors who think they are hot stuff. 

2016-08-23 11:03 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC

This is a great example of what sucks about this forum, and why it is dying.  You have a bunch of people who A) don't know what they're doing. and B) When people who do know what they are talking about explain it, they ignore and continue to have no clue.

You have multiple people who have either raced, coached, or been a big part of draft legal racing, explaining that really your perception of it isn't exactly accurate.  Maybe consider listening to them.

Then we get the "why do you even post on beginner triathlete if you know what you're talking about."  Perhaps if the BEGINNERS listened to those who used to be beginners, and now are trying to share with others, they might learn something.  Instead we just get horrendous advice over and over, and a bunch of people who continue to act like beginners, and perpetuate poor training and racing habits.

All the slowtwtitch hate that gets thrown around here...at least slowtwitch can learn from the pros, has a lot of good information, and doesn't put up with the weekend warriors who think they are hot stuff. 

I literally couldn't care less if you know what you're doing ............or not.

I still don't like DL racing. And, I'm 100% certain I don't know the intricacies involved in competitive eating. Guess what, I don't like that, either.

Maybe the fact that you refuse to be disagreed with (even politely) says more about you than it does others? I can agree to disagree. Apparently, you can't. That's not my problem.

BTW....I love ST. I agree.....they don't put up with the weekend warriors who think they're hot stuff. It's refreshing.

Edited by nc452010 2016-08-23 11:08 AM
2016-08-23 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
All triathlons are draft legal.....during the swim.

ITU and non-draft are just two different types of racing. That's it, plain and simple and that's how you have to look at it.

ITU racing takes more bike handling skills and strategy.

For those considering racing ITU I'd recommend getting some experience riding in groups especially with road bike racers. Maybe try a road bike race or better yet some crit racing.
2016-08-23 2:08 PM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Originally posted by reecealan
For those considering racing ITU I'd recommend getting some experience riding in groups especially with road bike racers. Maybe try a road bike race or better yet some crit racing.

When the switch mas made to make AG Sprint Racing draft legal at ITU worlds, the triathlon federation up here starting offering drafting clinics all over the country. There were 2 or 3 in this city alone over the months leading up to Nationals. I know a few people who did sprint nationals and attended the clinics - they said they were very helpful and made them confident going into the race. I'm sure there must be similar clinics offered in the United States, whether put on by USAT or local tri clubs.

Sprint Nationals were the first AG draft legal race held in Canada. Many people were really worried that the race would be a disaster, with unprepared triathletes unaccustomed to pack riding crossing wheels and going down all over the place. A big question mark was what would happen when faster packs from later swim waves passed the slower packs from earlier ones.

In the end the race seemed to go off without a hitch. There were no crashes, and people behaved sensibly. The folks I talked to who did the race say the atmosphere was one that was much more a sense of camaraderie than competitiveness. People were vocal in communicating on the bike, and found each other after the race to say "Good work out there" and "That was fun". The general consensus was that the race was a success and draft legal racing is nothing to fear. The folks who did it said they'd do it again, and many observers say they're much more interesting in trying it since seeing it go down.

I think that fear is a healthy thing is this regard, as it forces people to be prepared. Crit racers will be fine, but those who've never experienced riding fast in a pack really should take the necessary steps to fix that.
2016-08-23 2:44 PM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario

Sorry guys - I'm certainly no expert and when people with more experience than me speak, I guess I should listen. Maybe drafting really doesn't save energy. It's tough when there's so much "conventional wisdom" out there that says it does. Heck, I even thought I'd experienced it when out on group rides. And maybe domestiques really are a myth - someone should probably write to USAT to get that word removed from their official Olympic selection policy. Anything else I've gotten wrong?
2016-08-23 3:07 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

Sorry guys - I'm certainly no expert and when people with more experience than me speak, I guess I should listen. Maybe drafting really doesn't save energy. It's tough when there's so much "conventional wisdom" out there that says it does. Heck, I even thought I'd experienced it when out on group rides.

Drafting certainly reduces effort for a given speed (for everyone, even the lead rider) but often these groups are riding hard for most of it and very hard at key points to get rid of people and/or soften them up. Sitting at the back of a group ride is easy and you get to go much faster for the effort. Throw in some Hills, a bunch of 90's and 180's and half the leaders hammer these every time and those at the back are soon off the back.

There have been races in the past where it was basically a coffee shop ride but these seem to be a thing of the past and many of the fastest runners are also peeling people off on the bike.

And maybe domestiques really are a myth - someone should probably write to USAT to get that word removed from their official Olympic selection policy. Anything else I've gotten wrong?

The Olympics are a very unique race compared to most DL where it is medal or it doesn't matter. In this case, if you have a medal contender, three spots and a great swim/biker who is willing to act in that role, then perhaps you choose your third with this in mind.

Shane

Edited by gsmacleod 2016-08-23 3:14 PM

2016-08-23 3:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Sorry guys - I'm certainly no expert and when people with more experience than me speak, I guess I should listen. Maybe drafting really doesn't save energy. It's tough when there's so much "conventional wisdom" out there that says it does. Heck, I even thought I'd experienced it when out on group rides. And maybe domestiques really are a myth - someone should probably write to USAT to get that word removed from their official Olympic selection policy. Anything else I've gotten wrong?

Anyone that says drafting doesn't save energy simply does not know what he is talking about.
2016-08-23 4:24 PM
in reply to: kmonie360

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Originally posted by kmonie360

Fact is that ITU racing attracts the best talent and the format makes them even stronger, you can't suck at swimming and expect to be given starts by your Federation.
2016-08-23 5:13 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by simpsonbo
Originally posted by kmonie360 I started this thread just because I like the 'time trial' format bike better than the crit style bike; as a 'biker' thats my preference. The elite of the elite do DL and thats great - in no way was I making a statement about their athletic ability or training. I guess I'm just a 'time trial' type guy. And 'extreme' hatred was embellished but if I ever had a chance to race in DL race; I'd do it but I doubt I'd get the right experience due to the time I'd come out of the water in the swim! Haha
Fact is that ITU racing attracts the best talent and the format makes them even stronger, you can't suck at swimming and expect to be given starts by your Federation.

Careful, Bo.  Saying that doing well in DL racing requires more balanced triathletes with no significant weaknesses is heresy to some of the posters here.  

2016-08-23 5:34 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by simpsonbo
Originally posted by kmonie360 I started this thread just because I like the 'time trial' format bike better than the crit style bike; as a 'biker' thats my preference. The elite of the elite do DL and thats great - in no way was I making a statement about their athletic ability or training. I guess I'm just a 'time trial' type guy. And 'extreme' hatred was embellished but if I ever had a chance to race in DL race; I'd do it but I doubt I'd get the right experience due to the time I'd come out of the water in the swim! Haha

Careful, Bo.  Saying that doing well in DL racing requires more balanced triathletes with no significant weaknesses is heresy to some of the posters here.  

Well a recent Olympic champion might be one of the least balanced of the bunch. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I have an insane hatred of draft legal racing Rss Feed  

of 6