User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: Gwen Jorgensen wins Gold!

We did! Happy for her!! 

2016-08-20 2:04 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

I watched a bit of it, but it was storming pretty good here and I lost my Directv. Probably should have set up that antenna a bit early instead of waiting for the contract to expire...

J White
2016-08-20 2:05 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
I thought she was in trouble when Spirig kept up with her for most of the run.

I'll have to say that I was highly impressed with Spirig's performance today. Kudos to GJ for the gold, but if Spirig would have had ANY help on the bike, I think we'd of seen a different result.
2016-08-20 3:15 PM
in reply to: #5195964

Yes, spirig was at the front of the bike for soooo long! Great to watch them run shoulder to shoulder for so long, and gwens emotion at finish line was great.

My oooonly gripe - couldn't specialized have made red white and blue bike/shoes/helmet for her? The orange was kinda silly looki ng
2016-08-20 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by AdventureBear

Who else watched?

Very exciting to watch! I was surprised by:

-the lack of a concerted effort to try to create some serious separation on the bike from the strong cyclists--really, NO attacks by anyone else? Even if racing for a silver, didn't anyone think their bike was superior enough to TRY to hold of Jorgensen?

-the terrific job working together of the Brits and sprint finish of Holland to beat her teammate who seems to post quicker times

-the antics between Jorgensen and Spirig not wanting to take the lead late in the run, until Gwen decided to just run away with it

-how easy they make a fast pace look

-how varied the technical skills were on the bike (or did they just not want to crash)

But I really, really enjoyed it. Congrats to her. Go USA-first gold is very cool.

2016-08-20 6:51 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sadly, no coverage of triathlon here. Hours of judo. I'm trying to be grateful that they might show some track finals this morning while I'm on the trainer. Hopefully it will be on Youtube sometime. (Can't do live stream here--all sites blocked.)
2016-08-20 8:01 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by dtoce
Originally posted by AdventureBear Who else watched?
Very exciting to watch! I was surprised by: -the lack of a concerted effort to try to create some serious separation on the bike from the strong cyclists--really, NO attacks by anyone else? Even if racing for a silver, didn't anyone think their bike was superior enough to TRY to hold of Jorgensen? -the terrific job working together of the Brits and sprint finish of Holland to beat her teammate who seems to post quicker times -the antics between Jorgensen and Spirig not wanting to take the lead late in the run, until Gwen decided to just run away with it -how easy they make a fast pace look -how varied the technical skills were on the bike (or did they just not want to crash) But I really, really enjoyed it. Congrats to her. Go USA-first gold is very cool.

Kind of surprised with others not attacking either, but wondering if they know how to do it that well. Or if they really could. The pace may have been a bit high for some attacks to have a really good chance of success (see Sky strategy), heard the split was faster than last year's event. Spirig was definitely trying with taking hard pulls and small break aheads, but could have been her own problem in getting others to go too or having any chance solo. Others may have felt resigned to just going for a medal instead of winning if they felt the attack(s) may be futile. Higher average pace and going from the lead spot don't lend well to successful breaks.

I think the run antics were Spirig getting desperate to do anything to shake up Gwen. She wanted to win so badly, but couldn't really see how to do it. I don't know if they've really raced each other much, if at all, since Gwen became such a force. Gwen's strategy for the run seemed be just pace out in the front of the run for some time, getting a feel for who was with her. Then make a break for it when she felt it right. Plenty far out that a sprint wouldn't come into play but not needing to blaze the whole thing.

It was fun to watch, but a lot of that came from the uncertainty of just how well Gwen was going with the bike. She made the first push up over the hill and then the more into the race things got, the more apparent it was that she was fine.

Edited by brigby1 2016-08-20 8:03 PM
2016-08-20 8:05 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

My sole observation is that triathletes have some really interesting tan lines.

2016-08-20 8:37 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by brigby1

Very exciting to watch! I was surprised by: -the lack of a concerted effort to try to create some serious separation on the bike from the strong cyclists--really, NO attacks by anyone else? Even if racing for a silver, didn't anyone think their bike was superior enough to TRY to hold of Jorgensen? -the terrific job working together of the Brits and sprint finish of Holland to beat her teammate who seems to post quicker times -the antics between Jorgensen and Spirig not wanting to take the lead late in the run, until Gwen decided to just run away with it -how easy they make a fast pace look -how varied the technical skills were on the bike (or did they just not want to crash) But I really, really enjoyed it. Congrats to her. Go USA-first gold is very cool.

Kind of surprised with others not attacking either, but wondering if they know how to do it that well. Or if they really could. The pace may have been a bit high for some attacks to have a really good chance of success (see Sky strategy), heard the split was faster than last year's event. Spirig was definitely trying with taking hard pulls and small break aheads, but could have been her own problem in getting others to go too or having any chance solo. Others may have felt resigned to just going for a medal instead of winning if they felt the attack(s) may be futile. Higher average pace and going from the lead spot don't lend well to successful breaks.

I think the run antics were Spirig getting desperate to do anything to shake up Gwen. She wanted to win so badly, but couldn't really see how to do it. I don't know if they've really raced each other much, if at all, since Gwen became such a force. Gwen's strategy for the run seemed be just pace out in the front of the run for some time, getting a feel for who was with her. Then make a break for it when she felt it right. Plenty far out that a sprint wouldn't come into play but not needing to blaze the whole thing.

It was fun to watch, but a lot of that came from the uncertainty of just how well Gwen was going with the bike. She made the first push up over the hill and then the more into the race things got, the more apparent it was that she was fine.

yeah, the further into the bike they got with Gwen hanging in the lead group, the more likely I felt she had no worries. Spirig held pretty tough fairly long into the run and must have been tired from being out in front of the bike for so long. Props to them both.
2016-08-21 12:00 PM
in reply to: dtoce

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario

yeah, the further into the bike they got with Gwen hanging in the lead group, the more likely I felt she had no worries. Spirig held pretty tough fairly long into the run and must have been tired from being out in front of the bike for so long. Props to them both.

Spirig needs to work on her snot rockets to get rid of the wheel suckers.

2016-08-21 12:07 PM

User image

Veteran
North Bay Area, CA
Awesome race..Had no doubt once she finished the bike. Did feel bad for Sarah True. Was hoping she would land a a medal.
2016-08-21 12:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by d00d I thought she was in trouble when Spirig kept up with her for most of the run. I'll have to say that I was highly impressed with Spirig's performance today. Kudos to GJ for the gold, but if Spirig would have had ANY help on the bike, I think we'd of seen a different result.

I'm not disappointed with the outcome, but I do wish there would have been a break away on the bike.  Wonder if Duffy was having an off day....she's usually up front and riding hard, but sat in the pack for the most part.  I kept hoping Duffy and Spirig would pull away and drag one or two others along with them so the run could have been more interesting.

Spirig held tough with GJ (especially considering how much effort she put out on the bike), but when Gwen put in a 40 second gap in the last 1.5 km, it's almost obvious that she was just cruising for the first 8.5 km. 

Some additional thoughts: why didn't Andrea Hewitt use goggles on the swim?  Curious what happened to Sarah True....at first, I thought it was a cramp, but suspect it may be something worse.  And did anyone else think the commentators were a little condescending?

Edited by ligersandtions 2016-08-21 12:33 PM
2016-08-21 11:08 PM
in reply to: ligersandtions

Great duel between Spirig and Jorgenson until late in the run. Gwen made the final lap look effortless as she pulled away.
2016-08-22 7:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
Originally posted by AdventureBear

Who else watched?

I did. Great race and loved how emotional she was after the race.
2016-08-22 7:56 AM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

Originally posted by HaydenHunter

Great duel between Spirig and Jorgenson until late in the run. Gwen made the final lap look effortless as she pulled away.

In hindsight, it appears the race was over once they came out of T2 in the lead together. It seems Gwen just bided her time until closer to the end of the race to decided to pull away. To be able to pull ahead by 40 seconds in the last 1.5-2.0 km is pretty impressive.

2016-08-22 7:58 AM
in reply to: ligersandtions

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Originally posted by ligersandtions

Originally posted by d00d I thought she was in trouble when Spirig kept up with her for most of the run. I'll have to say that I was highly impressed with Spirig's performance today. Kudos to GJ for the gold, but if Spirig would have had ANY help on the bike, I think we'd of seen a different result.

I'm not disappointed with the outcome, but I do wish there would have been a break away on the bike.  Wonder if Duffy was having an off day....she's usually up front and riding hard, but sat in the pack for the most part.  I kept hoping Duffy and Spirig would pull away and drag one or two others along with them so the run could have been more interesting.

Spirig held tough with GJ (especially considering how much effort she put out on the bike), but when Gwen put in a 40 second gap in the last 1.5 km, it's almost obvious that she was just cruising for the first 8.5 km. 

Some additional thoughts: why didn't Andrea Hewitt use goggles on the swim?  Curious what happened to Sarah True....at first, I thought it was a cramp, but suspect it may be something worse.  And did anyone else think the commentators were a little condescending?

yeah, i kept expecting Duffy to pull away with Spirig and a few others. Too bad that didn't happen. i would have loved for GJ to have had to push the run from the get go and catch them towards the end.

I think I read somewhere that Hewitt lost her goggles. She still had a really fast swim, though, so I don't think it affected her too bad. As for True, didn't she crash? she was not able to recover from it in enough time to not get lapped (and pulled).
2016-08-22 8:46 AM
in reply to: d00d

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by d00d

yeah, i kept expecting Duffy to pull away with Spirig and a few others. Too bad that didn't happen. i would have loved for GJ to have had to push the run from the get go and catch them towards the end. I think I read somewhere that Hewitt lost her goggles. She still had a really fast swim, though, so I don't think it affected her too bad. As for True, didn't she crash? she was not able to recover from it in enough time to not get lapped (and pulled).
Hewitt never had her goggles, even when lining up for the swim. Don't know if they snapped or what. True had a combination of the crash & cramping. Don't know if one directly caused the other though she may have been cramping some prior to going down. She wasn't really having a great day before going down, but would have liked to see her at least be able to finish.

2016-08-22 9:51 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
I read somewhere that Hewitt opt using goggles on multiple occasions.
As for True, here's what she posted on her fb:

"Thanks everyone for the concern. My leg seized up at the start of the bike. While I fought to ride as long as I could, I had to pull out."

I was very curious to know what Gwen and Spirig talked about during the run. Gwen mentioned in the interview that they both wanted to win and "I was playing a game, she was playing a game."

I have to admit I wondered if Spririg said to Gwen something like: "hey, you are unbeatable anywa, so go for the 1st place, I will take second, let's just not make it too hard." But that's my fantasy world
2016-08-22 10:37 AM
in reply to: marysia83

Originally posted by marysia83

I read somewhere that Hewitt opt using goggles on multiple occasions.
As for True, here's what she posted on her fb:

"Thanks everyone for the concern. My leg seized up at the start of the bike. While I fought to ride as long as I could, I had to pull out."

I was very curious to know what Gwen and Spirig talked about during the run. Gwen mentioned in the interview that they both wanted to win and "I was playing a game, she was playing a game."

I have to admit I wondered if Spririg said to Gwen something like: "hey, you are unbeatable anywa, so go for the 1st place, I will take second, let's just not make it too hard." But that's my fantasy world

I thought they said they were discussing who should take the lead into the wind.
2016-08-22 11:39 AM

, Wisconsin
Wish I could have watched but I was doing a Tri myself at the time. I was very excited to hear Gwen won, she seems like a class individual and superb athlete. I'll have to look for some You Tube videos . . .

2016-08-22 12:24 PM

New user

Hewitt never had her goggles, even when lining up for the swim. Don't know if they snapped or what. True had a combination of the crash & cramping. Don't know if one directly caused the other though she may have been cramping some prior to going down. She wasn't really having a great day before going down, but would have liked to see her at least be able to finish.

I keep hearing that Sarah crashed, but I haven't seen any evidence. She actually said that her quad got injured during the swim and it seized up once she got on the bike and she had to withdraw. I know there is video of her sitting on the ground trying to rub out the cramp, but nothing of an actual crash.

This is the best I can find for the Gwen Nicola exchange during the run:

“Nicola was pushing it on the bike, and we have her to thank a lot for gaining so much time on that chase pack,” Jorgensen says. “She put her head in the wind for a lot of it.”

At one point in the run, Jorgensen and Spirig looked like they were arguing and slowed almost to a weird shuffle-walk.

“There was a windy side of the course, so no one wanted to lead and I said we should share the work,” Spirig explains. “She said no, I was leading before—you go.”

“We were saying ‘you take a turn,’ ‘no you take a turn’ and she said, ‘I already have a medal’—you go,” Jorgensen says. She adds, jokingly, “but now she has two and I only have one!”

Spirig admits she was pulling every trick out of the hat she could to break Jorgensen. “It was just some mental games—I knew she was a strong runner so I had to try everything to get her out of the rhythm a bit,” she says.

Read more at http://triathlon.competitor.com/2016/08/olympics/inside-jorgensen-s...
2016-08-22 12:29 PM
in reply to: bufordt

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by bufordt

I keep hearing that Sarah crashed, but I haven't seen any evidence. She actually said that her quad got injured during the swim and it seized up once she got on the bike and she had to withdraw. I know there is video of her sitting on the ground trying to rub out the cramp, but nothing of an actual crash.

This is the best I can find for the Gwen Nicola exchange during the run:

“Nicola was pushing it on the bike, and we have her to thank a lot for gaining so much time on that chase pack,” Jorgensen says. “She put her head in the wind for a lot of it.”

At one point in the run, Jorgensen and Spirig looked like they were arguing and slowed almost to a weird shuffle-walk.

“There was a windy side of the course, so no one wanted to lead and I said we should share the work,” Spirig explains. “She said no, I was leading before—you go.”

“We were saying ‘you take a turn,’ ‘no you take a turn’ and she said, ‘I already have a medal’—you go,” Jorgensen says. She adds, jokingly, “but now she has two and I only have one!”

Spirig admits she was pulling every trick out of the hat she could to break Jorgensen. “It was just some mental games—I knew she was a strong runner so I had to try everything to get her out of the rhythm a bit,” she says.

Read more at http://triathlon.competitor.com/2016/08/olympics/inside-jorgensen-s...

Thanks for sharing! I don't even want to imagine the mental stuff going on in their heads during that run...
2016-08-22 1:26 PM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by d00d

yeah, i kept expecting Duffy to pull away with Spirig and a few others. Too bad that didn't happen. i would have loved for GJ to have had to push the run from the get go and catch them towards the end.

I think I read somewhere that Hewitt lost her goggles. She still had a really fast swim, though, so I don't think it affected her too bad. As for True, didn't she crash? she was not able to recover from it in enough time to not get lapped (and pulled).

Yeah that was what I was pretty much expecting. Spirig, Duffy, and the brit women going off the front and having Gwen chase. People said Spirig would need the swim of her life to come out in the front pack, but last month she showed her potential in Zurich and voila she came out beside Gwen. Pack was too big in the front group on the bike to cause any separation, although Gwen was hanging on the back those first few laps.

Credit to Gwen. She had a plan, executed, and won.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gwen Jorgensen wins Gold! Rss Feed