General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GPS on Bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-20 9:25 PM

Subject: GPS on Bike?
On the bike rides on Triathlon's, do most people have some sort of gps on the bike? Are courses normally marked well enough that you don't need gps?

Today I always have my smartphone with waze/google maps on my bike rides but I know I can't bring my smartphone during an actual event. I am curious about what most people do during actual events not to get lost during the ride.

2016-08-20 9:42 PM
in reply to: dnewman84

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: GPS on Bike?

I've never, ever, heard of someone getting lost in the bike portion of a triathlon. Don't worry about a GPS

2016-08-20 10:13 PM
in reply to: trijamie

So the course is always well marked?
2016-08-20 10:36 PM

Sarasota, Florida
From my short course experience yes, but I do see people get lost on runs frequently. Usually they have motorcycles, cars, barriers, volunteers, crowds, signs, cowbells etc... It really depends on your race. Usually they provide info before hand and you can map it out or do a ride on the same course in preparation. What distance is this? I've been curious how Ironmans work. Seems you might get lost on long course.
2016-08-20 11:04 PM
in reply to: runtim23

User image

Extreme Veteran
In the early days of GPS I won my age group in the Texas state time trial. For some reason the turn around was poorly marked. I had one of the first GPS devices. It told me where the turn around was and I could see the mark on the pavement. Most of the other riders missed it. It of course was a shallow victory, but a victory none the less. It was a big clunky unit I strapped to my handlebars. It's pretty important to be familiar with the course. I agree with one of the previous posters that most courses are marked pretty well these days.
2016-08-20 11:08 PM
in reply to: 0

Olympic distance

http://gamultisports.com/rocknrollmanraceseries/wp-content/uploads/...

That's the course. I'm betting that I'm going to be pretty nervous the day of the race so I'm doubting my ability to remember all the turns.

I do aspire to do a half distance eventually and figure it would be only worse for me if the courses aren't very well marked.

Edited by dnewman84 2016-08-20 11:10 PM

2016-08-21 12:45 AM

User image

How well a course is marked and how eajy it is to follow depends on the nature of the course and the race director.  There are no guarantees with anything in life, but just remember that races were conducted long before GPS computers and smart phones. Most of them did just fine. 

2016-08-21 8:50 AM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Originally posted by trijamie

I've never, ever, heard of someone getting lost in the bike portion of a triathlon. Don't worry about a GPS

I had one race last year where one other guy and I made a wrong turn. There was a county sheriff at a turn who, for whatever reason, pointed us in the wrong direction. The race was small and there was nobody close enough to see follow ahead or behind. I suspect he was distracted by talking on his radio at the time. Besides that, I have not had any problems.
2016-08-21 9:28 AM
in reply to: nickster

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

Originally posted by nickster

I had one race last year where one other guy and I made a wrong turn. There was a county sheriff at a turn who, for whatever reason, pointed us in the wrong direction. The race was small and there was nobody close enough to see follow ahead or behind. I suspect he was distracted by talking on his radio at the time. Besides that, I have not had any problems.

I went off course on the bike at an oly earlier this year where the field was spread out.  Here's the thing you should realize.  Whatever the directional markers look like for your course, if you get to an intersection and there aren't any markers or signs, you probably missed them at the last intersection -- that's your cue to go back.  Especially if you stop seeing volunteers.

2016-08-21 2:51 PM
in reply to: nickster

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by nickster

That really sucks that he pointed you the wrong way. The important thing to do it study the course beforehand. Go over it in your head a couple times, get an idea of the mileage between turns and keep an eye on your odometer.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » GPS on Bike? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

bike computer+gps that works with Polar

Started by rjrankin83
Views: 650 Posts: 2

2012-08-02 11:50 AM audiojan

Finding elevation for bike w/o GPS

Started by peregrinesgirl
Views: 806 Posts: 7

2012-05-11 7:05 AM peregrinesgirl

Garmin 310/910 or bike computer and gps watch

Started by garrunning
Views: 1532 Posts: 4

2012-01-01 4:17 PM PeteDin206

Garmins and GPS performance on Tri Bikes

Started by furiousferret
Views: 642 Posts: 4

2011-02-22 8:28 PM cnsegura

bike tires - Conti GP4000 vs Conti GP 4 Season

Started by awol
Views: 1321 Posts: 4

2006-06-02 4:23 PM awol
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : May 8, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 0
Lots of updates in this version! Map your routes and elevation profiles of single sport workouts, bricks and races! Directly integrates into BT's training log to assign routes to workouts.