Sun Multisport Events
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 17s
Overall Rank = 158/418
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 16/22
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:15 had bagel w peanut butter.
This wasn't one of my better pre-race weeks. Nutritionally i have made better choices. I over ate a bit in the days leading up to the race and i didn't help my stomach by eating the bagel.

Left for race at 6:15 and had a coffee on the way.

Set up transition, did a walk of transition to count racks. I didn't have much time as I got to the race an hour before the start.
Event warmup:

i did a quick jog with some race pace efforts. I was worried about not getting a swim warm up in, so only ran for about 4 minutes or so.

Got some Clif Shot blocks which i was debating on eating as i was still quite full from breakfast. I put it in my race jersey and went down to the swim exit to warm up.

got in the water and swam a bit with some strong efforts. As i was swimming i felt something hit my leg and i realized it was my clif shot blocks floating away.

I did not take any nutrition before the race as my stomach was still sloshing around and i lost it.
Swim
  • 18m 47s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started off good. Passed a bunch of people right out of the gate. Kept a good pace, and wasn't out of breath. I breathed to the left only and every stroke. that seemed to help my neck.

I had no problems sighting on the way out and the way over. I had one issue sighting on the way back. Swam right next to a woman to draft, and she was pulling way to the right. I compensated, and had no problems the rest of the way.

Not sure why my swim time was so slow. I heard many other athletes saying the same thing about their swims. So i wasn't alone. I know i could have pushed harder, but I also felt great getting out of the water. My garmin had me at a 1:53 pace so I don't think the course was marked accurately
What would you do differently?:

Swim harder. I was not at my max, but that is also a good thing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

no wetsuit so nothing to take off. glasse, bike helmet, and bike shoes on without a problem.

need to change how I rack my bike, i'm so tall my seat doesn't fit underneath the rack, so i have to move it slow to clear the bar.

I had some issues getting on my bike. I hit the stop button instead of lap button getting out of the water, so i had to hit lap a couple of times to get to biking.

I jumped on my bike and realized i never changed to an easier gear.

double check the gears before the race.

put bike on rack on handlebars.
Bike
  • 45m 40s
  • 14.2 miles
  • 18.66 mile/hr
Comments:

I finally drank a lot on the bike. I had about 12 ounces left of a 32 ounce bottle. I took a drink every two miles.

It took me about a mile or two to get into race pace, and get comfortable on the bike. My neck didn't bother me as much as it did at Whaling City, but i'm not sure if that's my swimming or lack of training on the bike.

more training. my goal time for this race was 45:00, so i am happy with my time. I've gone faster but only riding once in the last month before the race due to bike being worked on, i'll take it.

Will go to a chiropractor to get my neck looked at. Also, on the trainer wear a helmet so i can get used to the weight.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

don't remember this too much. pretty uneventful.

belt and hat combo worked perfectly again.

i brought my water bottle with electrolyte. i figured i needed it due to not eating anything before, but in retrospect there weren't any calories in the bottle so this didn't help.

not bring the water bottle.
Run
  • 28m 28s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

i started out faster than i wanted, about an 8:00 min/mile pace. I slowed down pretty quickly to a 9:00 min/mile pace.

After the first mile i couldn't go much faster. it got hot on the run, i stopped at the first aid station and poured some water on me and got some gu. ate that to get some calories but it may have been too little too late. stomach still felt sloshy.

got to a steep hill and walked for about 30 seconds, ran up the rest, and then did the same to the second hill that came right after.

Had a little bit in the tank, but not much. ran hard but someone passed me in the finishing chute.

lack of training, I ran but not much and poor eating before the race.

I've definitely run faster, so i was disappointed in my pace. I was hoping for under 9:00 min/mile pace.
Post race
Warm down:

nothing. i sat down in the ice bath and drank some water and the rest of the Nuun drink in my water bottle. I got up and grabbed some oranges, and refilled my bottle with gatorade. I found my wife and son(who didn't want to finish the race with me :(. I then went to check the results and saw my two teammates.

we chatted about our times and rehashed our races. i went over to my family again and they had it. so i went back and gathered up our stuff.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of training on the bike. poor eating choices in the lead up. I also think i skimped a bit on run training. It was hot in the weeks leading up to the race, so i ran but not at race pace and not as long as my plan prescribed.

Event comments:

Mark puts on a great race. This was my first time doing the sprint, i had always done the Olympic. The Sprint course is much hillier than the Olympic, but both are fun.

I was hoping this year to do the Double. Sprint and Olympic, but some training issues and bike issues only allowed me to do the Sprint.

Last updated: 2016-06-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:47 | 880 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/22
Overall: 175/418
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: a counter clockwise rectangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:45:40 | 14.2 miles | 18.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/22
Overall: 134/418
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough  Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:28 | 03.1 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/22
Overall: 233/418
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2016-08-24 8:08 AM

New user

Subject: Cranberry Trifest - Sprint Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Trifest - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cranberry Trifest - Sprint Course

Started by Ontherun
Views: 1033 Posts: 1

2013-08-25 3:31 PM Ontherun

Started by D.K.
Views: 1536 Posts: 5

2013-08-27 7:40 AM maureen

Started by ArielLIlB
Views: 1209 Posts: 5

2012-08-28 2:37 PM jmkizer

Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course

Started by tigers75
Views: 1546 Posts: 2

2012-08-27 10:31 AM Socks

Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course

Started by c2fd
Views: 1401 Posts: 2

2012-08-27 10:33 AM Socks
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.