General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ahh the joy of meal planning Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-24 8:38 AM

User image

Subject: Ahh the joy of meal planning
Just curious if anybody out there is like me and sits down once a week and goes through the really exciting and totally glamorous task of planning meals for their family for the week?

Not prepping just planning, making a schedule, shopping list and so on.

I haven't gotten to prepping yet. But planning makes my household run smoother for sure especially when I'm juggling a full training schedule.

I'm looking to trade tips and stuff.

2016-08-24 9:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Ahh the joy of meal planning

My wife does most of the planning.  I get to do most of the cooking.  I think the biggest reason she's working hard on learning to cook is to get out of the planning part.  What kind of tips are you looking for ?

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2016-08-24 9:03 AM
2016-08-24 9:03 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I can't live without meal planning! I'm a big meal prepper, too, to include weekly lunch making sessions, and cooking big batch meals frequently (spaghetti sauce, curry, red beans & rice, etc) and freezing in meal size portions.
"Central Command" is our whiteboard on the fridge. It lists the contents of the freezer, so we know what easy meals we have at the go. We also list out all the meals we'll be making for the week, and cross them off as they happen.
2016-08-24 10:19 AM

User image

, North Carolina
I wish I could get there. But, my wife has to be in the mood for something. So it's impossible to decide before hand. We can't even talk about what we want to eat the next day. Causes a lot of stress and a lot of ordering out. Very frustrating.

Meal Planning and Meal prepping are two very important parts of being and staying healthy. (and on budget)
2016-08-24 10:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Sunday morning I plan meals for the week and go shopping.  Often on Sunday afternoons I will prepare for some meals.  If we're having spaghetti or baked ziti, I'll brown a pound each of ground beef and Italian sausage (enough for three meals); put it in 2-3 freezer bags and into the freezer.  Same with meat loaf - make a double batch and put half in a freezer bag for dinner a month later.  I also bake 10-12 chicken tenders on Sunday and keep them in the refrigerator for quick use during the week - easily cut up for salads or pasta.  If I make a roast or pork butt for dinner on Sunday, I'll freeze the remainder for future use.  This week we had carnitas tacos one day and pulled pork sliders another from a pork butt smoked a couple months ago.

I only eat fresh fish, so Monday is fish night most weeks.  IQF (individually quick frozen) shrimp, which I buy in two pound bags, are easy to thaw and cook with when you need a protein with a quick meal - only need to thaw the number of shrimp necessary.  The remainder of the days are planned based upon how much time I have to cook dinner between getting home and getting the girls to swim/soccer.  With two middle school aged daughters that have sports every evening, there is no other way.

Edited by Hook'em 2016-08-24 10:41 AM
2016-08-24 10:41 AM

User image

We use a subscription based meal planning service from the Fork's Over Knives website. It has really helped us avoid the "what do you want to eat" , "I don't care what do you want" dance every night. The plan allows us to add or subtract meals, provides a shopping list, provides weekend prep suggestions and then easy to follow recipes. The plan is geared to us herbivores, but meat could be added to any of the meals easily. We find that we have less food waste using this service and don't have the mental fatigue of always trying to figure out what to eat on a given night. For the subscription fee we are probably still money ahead due to the decreased food waste.

2016-08-24 10:43 AM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Yes! And my husband actually brags about it. It isn't perfect but it does keep us relatively organized.

I have a little whiteboard on our fridge with the days of the week (it's meant to be family planner but i use for meal planning) - when i look at the week, i write down what i plan to make (I cook from magazines and blogs quite a bit).  I note when we'll be out and won't need to cook, etc. And i make my grocery list based on the ingredients in the recipe.

On that white board i also keep a bit of a freezer inventory - usually it's for the prepared meals i do at our local supperworks (love that too, but that's another thing) - and keep an eye on what i have on hand to use up. 

I only plan 4-5 days in a row, as we do usually have one day when we'll eat out and i find that's the limit on fresh ingredients. Plus there are usually some 'meals on the fly to make' using things we already had. The plan keeps me aware so i can thaw things appropriately and in time to have that night. Nothing derails dinner like a frozen wad of meat ... which is something that may not be practical for many people but i do try to buy fresh (not frozen) as often as possible since then everything is ready - and i can be flexible on which meal i make in a week of the ones I planned.

For prep, i am a bit hit and miss. Sometimes i spend a sunday afternoon or early evening chopping and getting things organized but i go through phases. Right now if i have something that takes a bit of time, i might not choose it for a week night just because i may or may not do pre-chopping and prep. I often to try to do that if i have time during the week or when cooking other meals. 

2016-08-24 10:55 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
On the subject of prep, I cannot stress enough the importance of the freezer contents list in my life. Pantry, too! For example, I buy a tube or can or whatever of tomato paste, but only need 1 tablespoon. I lay out a silpat, blob tablespoons onto it, pop it in the freezer, then bag up individual "portions" of tomato paste. Mark it on the whiteboard, and each time I take one out, just cross it off the list.
I could also wax poetic on doing something similar with caramelized onions: since it takes forever to properly caramelize them, I never do less than 8 onions at a time. Once they're done cooking, I line a muffin tin with clingfilm, portion out the onions, and freeze. One "muffin" equals one onion. Plus it is so easy to add to just about anything, and it gives quick meals a slow-cooked taste.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ahh the joy of meal planning Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Favorite "junk food" meal vs good food meal

Started by ZenMaster
Views: 2173 Posts: 24

2012-05-20 8:50 PM texasgrrl

where to find good meal plans for free

Started by mcanavan
Views: 1001 Posts: 7

2007-05-03 4:25 PM mcanavan

Meal Plans and Dinner on the Run

Started by irondog
Views: 1184 Posts: 6

2007-02-17 2:07 PM element

Weight loss & meal plan

Started by jjhall
Views: 848 Posts: 2

2006-11-17 9:04 AM sranney

On-line Meal Plans

Started by markg72
Views: 1257 Posts: 7

2006-01-21 3:42 PM tnickerson
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Wouldn't it be cool if you could move your workouts around to different days? You can!

date : December 17, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
What if your workouts magically appeared in your calendar?
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : June 9, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 3
An easy, healthy hot meal you can quickly cook with many ingredients you already have in your kitchen.
date : May 20, 2008
comments : 3
Are your long workouts approaching 3 hours? Can't seem to eat enough or time your nutrition? Use the following calorie recommendations and recipes to create your own meal plan.

date : November 28, 2007
Discussions on making better food choices, under or over-fueling, the 'write everything down' theory, sample meal template and cottage cheese substitutes.
date : November 4, 2007
comments : 2
Learn how to make a vanilla meal replacement smoothie that can serve as meal if you are short on time and on-the-go.

date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.