General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arrrrrrggg Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-24 1:23 PM

Subject: Arrrrrrggg
I need a new helmet.
So I was looking at some of those new slightly stealthy road bike helmets that purport to be somewhat aero.....and yet....wouldn't make me look like a fool.
Being that I'm old. And not all that much of a racer (other than I now seem to be moving into the top 20% on the bike leg, it really makes no sense.

Annnd....then I find tons of closeouts on the pointy type that I really have no business wearing.....but are cheaper....significantly, than the non-toolish ones I was looking at. Enough cheaper, I could buy a 'decent' road bike helmet and still have saved money.

Must
Not
Be
Foolish

Quick. Talk me back from the ledge.

Edited by jhaack39 2016-08-24 1:25 PM

2016-08-24 1:45 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

Subject: RE: Arrrrrrggg
This is the one I got and it's aero and doesn't make you look like a tool: https://www.amazon.com/Giro-Air-Attack-Bike-Helmet/dp/B00MX37EOM/ref...
2016-08-24 1:47 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Just say NO.

Although....why the issue? If you wanted something aero, and the pointy ones are cheaper, why not go with it? Will this be your only helmet? Or are you shopping for a race day helmet?
2016-08-24 1:57 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
2 things.......

If you're dressed in tri apparel you already look like a tool.....lol.

The Giro Air Attack isn't all that aero (I wear one on my training rides). Just get the aero helmet and be done with it. It's about the same benefit (from what I read) as race wheels....at a fraction of the cost.

Good luck.

(p.s. - I had a thread on here a year or so ago asking the same exact question......and was equally adamant I wouldn't get a pointy helmet. I got over it.)

2016-08-24 2:15 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

Originally posted by Atlantia

Just say NO.

Although....why the issue? If you wanted something aero, and the pointy ones are cheaper, why not go with it? Will this be your only helmet? Or are you shopping for a race day helmet?

I'm seeing stuff so cheap now that I could take care of lots of needs.
I was looking at the Ballista...... ~$150
Then I started seeing Giro Attacks and some other 'standards' for ~$100

Now, I see Garneau P06 for less than $65.

The issue.....it's the one that plagues duffers like me.

I don't "need" one of those helmets (or anything, really).....because I'm not going to win. I'm not even going to win my age group.
I think I could "benefit" from one (or other things) in longer races.....my reasoning is as follows:.....
-if I'm going a little quicker on the bike, I'm done a little (to a fair amount) sooner, I'm expending net less energy resources..therefore the rest of the race has a greater chance of being easier and faster
-even if I'm not going that much quicker, I'm doing it expending less net energy resources....therefore the rest of the race has a greater chance of being easier and faster

I am aware that this benefit may very well be quite relative over a long distance. And at shorter distances, it's all sort of pointless as even that's not going to get me towards the FOP overall. I just can't run for diddly.

I don't care what the average joe thinks of me...I'll have plenty of money left over to buy even a mid-grade road helmet. But, I don't want to be "that guy" at the race. Not that all the people in these hats are "that guy". But, I very well could be. The old "WTF do you need that for, dude? You're just a duffer."

Although, with my new bike...it's definitely made a difference. I've never been better than about the 40th percentile in my AG on the bike let alone everyone else. Last race (having moved to a tri bike)...this held fairly true. Maybe 30th percentile.....small AG for me this time. But that turned out to be 17th percentile of the entire race. Pretty shocked I tell ya. And that's really limited experience on this bike and hills are still a learning process for me on this bike....and this was the hilliest race I've ever done.

2016-08-24 2:20 PM

User image

2016-08-24 2:28 PM

User image

Veteran
South Windsor, CT
Originally posted by jhaack39

Originally posted by Atlantia

Just say NO.

I'm seeing stuff so cheap now that I could take care of lots of needs.
I was looking at the Ballista...... ~$150
Then I started seeing Giro Attacks and some other 'standards' for ~$100

Now, I see Garneau P06 for less than $65.

The issue.....it's the one that plagues duffers like me.

I don't "need" one of those helmets (or anything, really).....because I'm not going to win. I'm not even going to win my age group.
I think I could "benefit" from one (or other things) in longer races.....my reasoning is as follows:.....
-if I'm going a little quicker on the bike, I'm done a little (to a fair amount) sooner, I'm expending net less energy resources..therefore the rest of the race has a greater chance of being easier and faster
-even if I'm not going that much quicker, I'm doing it expending less net energy resources....therefore the rest of the race has a greater chance of being easier and faster

I am aware that this benefit may very well be quite relative over a long distance. And at shorter distances, it's all sort of pointless as even that's not going to get me towards the FOP overall. I just can't run for diddly.

I don't care what the average joe thinks of me...I'll have plenty of money left over to buy even a mid-grade road helmet. But, I don't want to be "that guy" at the race. Not that all the people in these hats are "that guy". But, I very well could be. The old "WTF do you need that for, dude? You're just a duffer."

Although, with my new bike...it's definitely made a difference. I've never been better than about the 40th percentile in my AG on the bike let alone everyone else. Last race (having moved to a tri bike)...this held fairly true. Maybe 30th percentile.....small AG for me this time. But that turned out to be 17th percentile of the entire race. Pretty shocked I tell ya. And that's really limited experience on this bike and hills are still a learning process for me on this bike....and this was the hilliest race I've ever done.

You should do what ever you want to do. We all look a bit silly in our triathlon gear, but it makes us happy.

Will an aero helmet make you faster? Yes, if you stay aero. There is much more low hanging fruit in terms of position than spending good money on an aero helmet that stick straight up while you are riding upright, so think about whether you are in aero enough to actually get the benefit. And some are hot, so you have to consider where you race/train. I do chuckle a bit when I'm racing and see so many people in their aero helmets pedaling along while bolt upright. They look pretty spiffy, but aren't getting aero benefit from the helmet or position sitting up on a TT bike.

I have the air attack (aka the 'salad bowl'-as it was about as aero as said kitchen item) and it's nice as it has nice vents, looks cool and has a shield which I like as sunglasses all come down a bit too far and I have to look over the top of them, so I like a helmet with a shield.

And, yes, I'm 'that guy' when I ride all summer with my race wheels on my bike. I put them on a few weeks prior to the first race and keep them on all summer. I don't care what others think about my wheels and wouldn't care what others thought about aero helmets, even though I don't own a 'pointy' one. I'm likely to get one soon, though, as I finally am actually aero enough to feel I will benefit. (-1-2 minutes over 40K).

http://aeroweenie.com/data.html

http://cyclingtips.com/2010/04/biggest-bang-for-your-buck-in-time-t...
2016-08-24 2:29 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

Too late.

<$73 delivered for a Garneau P06 is cheap enough to experiment with and still have money left over to buy a mid-level road helmet that's comparable to what I'd be replacing....cheaper than if I bought a Ballista.

I'm $50 cheaper than what I was planning on spending.

I just don't want to be 'that guy'

So...please.....tell me if I'm gonna be...."that guy".

I won't be offended. I promise
2016-08-24 2:44 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
you can be "that guy" and go faster

or "that other guy" and be slower...

take your pick.
2016-08-24 2:51 PM

User image

Originally posted by jhaack39 Too late. <$73 delivered for a Garneau P06 is cheap enough to experiment with and still have money left over to buy a mid-level road helmet that's comparable to what I'd be replacing....cheaper than if I bought a Ballista. I'm $50 cheaper than what I was planning on spending. I just don't want to be 'that guy' So...please.....tell me if I'm gonna be...."that guy". I won't be offended. I promise

Sorry to say but "you're that guy" .... that guy who got what he wanted.  Who cares what other people think, enjoy it.  I think aero helmets look awesome.  I hope you were that guy who got the shield with it.  Not sure the P06 comes with one but they look even more bad azz. 

2016-08-24 3:04 PM
in reply to: 0

Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

Not sure the P06 comes with one but they look even more bad azz. 

I could absolutely NOT do the shield. It would annoy the living crud out of me. I'm sure of it.
I'm not a 'sunglasses' guy. I never wear them. EVER.....I don't even like them at the beach....except....except when I'm riding or running.
Because I got a free pair of Ironman brand glasses with polarized lenses in them at the Hyvee Tri as part of the swag bag ($23 for the same exact pair at Sports Authority) a couple years ago.

I love me some polarization. I love it. Where has it been all my life?

So, now I wear sunglasses when I ride or run. My Mom got me a pair based on my brother's (windsurfer, serious 'pure' cyclist) recommendation. I can't believe I wear $120 sunglasses. But I love these things. LOVE them. They came with three different lenses for different conditions. Had a race this weekend where being able to change them right before the gun.....was awesome.

Also, I sweat like....a lot. And Sweat drips/grime bother me. Like fixation/obsessive bother me. I keep a lens cleaner in a baggie in my running/cycling kits. A helmet shield, I fear.....would cause me serious issues.

Edited by jhaack39 2016-08-24 3:06 PM

2016-08-24 3:20 PM
in reply to: #5196578

User image

Where did you find the helmet for that cheap?
2016-08-24 3:52 PM
in reply to: tem375

Originally posted by tem375

Where did you find the helmet for that cheap?

Straight from the horse's mouth.
$62 and some change
https://garneau.com/us/en/cycling/gear/p-06-aero-helmet/color/black-...
$8.99 shipping to the Midwest
$71.48 total for me

I started seeing some Giro pointy ones and some Bell pointy ones for less than I was planning on spending on the Ballista at a variety of places. Swim Outlet was one. They're all 2015 closeouts. $100 or so for some of those.

$71 is even better. That's cheap enough I won't have any buyers remorse for buying something I might not like. I had $200 to spend.

2016-08-24 4:44 PM

2016-08-24 5:51 PM
in reply to: #5196607

User image

Sweet, I just rode in a giro advantage for the first time yesterday, I HATED it, my head felt soooo hot and clostrofobic, it just wasn't for me. I paid next to nothing for it so its all good(will be going on the classifieds soon if anyone is interested in trying this helmet cheap)
I would like to try something else though because I definitely "felt" the difference.

Might have to try the LG.
2016-08-25 9:04 AM
in reply to: tem375

User image

Brooklyn, New York
I have the Ballista. Went to it after cannondale road helmet because I wanted "road/aero". It's not pure aero as the wind tunnel tested types, but when I first got it I felt different with the wind resistance on my head believe it or not. I sweat a good lot too and it manages to not have me with a waterfall. Then I crashed and the helmet did such a great job saving me, i hit my head extremely hard and the helmet saved me. Yes, it's the job it's supposed to do but hey, no cracks etc etc. Solid.

So I obviously got a new one from them. I was so happy with it, I convinced my brother to try (he is a PROFUSE sweater) and loves it and the look and is training long distance half iron duathlon with it now and couldn't be happier.

If you don't go all aero. The ballista is a fantastic non regretful purchase.
Thought I'd throw that in there
Good luck

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Arrrrrrggg Rss Feed