General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheel set Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-25 8:28 AM

Subject: Wheel set Question

When you buy a new wheel set, does it come with tires? I'm looking at Mavic Cosmic Elites, and it says it comes with Yksion Elite tyres, but the guy at the bikeshop said it did not come with tires?

Second, thoughts any thoughts on the cosmic vs aksium? I'm on a budget.

2016-08-25 9:04 AM
in reply to: jdevito20

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Wheel set Question
Most wheel sets don't come with tires, however these should as Mavic designed the rim and tire to "work cohesively"

As for my thoughts, what are you wanting from a wheelset? More durability, better hubs, faster times, etc? What wheelset are you using now? What is your budget?
2016-08-25 10:01 AM
in reply to: Tri_Pharm

thanks for the reply. I'm basically upgrading my 10 year old easton SL wheels (10 speed hub) in conjunction with a driverain upgrade to Ultegra 11 speed. So looking for an all-around wheel set, and want to spend less than $500. I race sprints and olympics at this point, speeds in the 21-24 MPH rage to give you perspective on my ability.

thoughts?
2016-08-25 12:25 PM
in reply to: jdevito20

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by jdevito20 thanks for the reply. I'm basically upgrading my 10 year old easton SL wheels (10 speed hub) in conjunction with a driverain upgrade to Ultegra 11 speed. So looking for an all-around wheel set, and want to spend less than $500. I race sprints and olympics at this point, speeds in the 21-24 MPH rage to give you perspective on my ability. thoughts?
Another option is a new set of FLO 30's for $500.  Or piecing used FLO wheels such as a rear like this for $250+shipping and continuing to look for a front.

I initially updated my old Felt TTR2 wheels with a new 11spd hub.  Then later I bought a used FLO 60/90 wheelset for <$650, these are now my all-around wheels.

I wouldn't worry about tires unless they ae suppose to come with them.  There are so many options when it comes to tires but when it comes time to race you can optimize tire and tubes to get most out of rolling resistance and aero, if that matters to you.

2016-08-25 2:14 PM
in reply to: #5196685

User image

New user
The Mavics are fine wheels, but there are better options the $500 range.

Flo 30s are a good all around choice. The have a wide toroidal shape which will save 38s in an Olympic vs a box rim (Mavic may only be a dozen seconds faster than a box rim). The wide rims also mean you get s better tire profile which means lower rolling resistance (making you faster) and allows you to run lower pressure (making it more comfortable). It's a strong enough rim that you can train daily on it. The one down side is that the hubs are just ok. Not bad, but not great. Probably a step below Mavic.

Another option would be to go semi custom with a kinlin rim

http://www.bikehubstore.com/category-s/219.htm

http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/shopby/pwb-signature-series.html

Bike hub store just send you a kit so you would have to build them yourself (or pay a bike shop ~$80 to build the set). The kinlin rims are likely less aero than Flo but more than Mavic. They are wide so they have the comfort and rolling resistance benefits. The hub options are either inexpensive generic hubs which are equivalent to those on the Flos. Or White Industrues which are as good as it gets (but would bump the overall cost into the high 600's)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wheel set Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

tri wheel questions - race v. training wheels

Started by ff27
Views: 2668 Posts: 17

2009-02-09 12:55 PM rc63413

Set of Aero Wheels, need expert advice...

Started by Christ
Views: 1267 Posts: 21

2007-07-02 2:58 PM Christ

Help choosing a set of budget aero wheels

Started by bradyh
Views: 1298 Posts: 5

2007-02-01 10:48 AM dgunthert

Cane Creek wheel set

Started by colby995
Views: 457 Posts: 2

2006-12-06 12:05 PM run4yrlif

wheel set for IMMOO

Started by Reg
Views: 1029 Posts: 4

2005-03-07 9:47 AM JoeR
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 27, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Hint: It's not a one-person job

date : September 9, 2010
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
From simple time-trial testing or past performance, you can appropriately set your race goals for your upcoming races.
date : August 7, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Looking to rent or try-before-you-buy race wheels for your next triathlon? Coach AJ checks out the service at RaceDay Wheels.

date : December 15, 2008
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?
date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?

date : November 6, 2007
author : Ron
comments : 2
Don't know how to take that rear wheel off of your bike? Is the chain making things difficult? Learn how to remove your rear wheel if you have to change your bike tire or fix a flat.
date : April 13, 2007
author : B-One
comments : 8
This article estimates how much time can be saved in sprint races by converting from stock aero wheels found on most tri bikes to more aero disk and composite spoked wheels.