General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Needing some advice and help. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-08-28 6:14 PM

Newport Beach, California
Subject: Needing some advice and help.
To whom ever is reading,

My name is Jonathan and over the next year I am training for the Vineman ironman competition. It has always been a life goal of mine to finish an Ironman race and this year is a perfect opportunity for it. I have plans to race in a marathon, a triathlon, and a half ironman in Carlsbad until my final Ironman race. I am currently working for a Children's Hospital in the ER and spend much of my time volunteering at the aquarium of the pacific and running two high school youth programs. In between my work and volunteer schedule I squeeze in applying to medical schools to pursue a career as a physician. Also I work with a couple overseas medical agencies so every few months I travel abroad to help communities with limited access to medicine or train local personnel. Unfortunately my time to train is limited and money to buy equipment is tight. I am not a beginner athlete either. I swam in high school and college eventually competing in nationals, I have run my whole life, and love mountain biking with friends. Currently I am running with my old running shoes, cycling with my dad's old mountain bike, and open water swimming in the ocean. I am actively looking for cycling and running gear but cannot afford the high price tag. What sites, forums, discounts, or gear does anyone recommend? Any helpful information would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Jonathan

2016-08-29 7:35 AM
in reply to: surfnjonathan

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: RE: Needing some advice and help.
Hi Jonathan!

Sounds like an inspiring goal!
I've certainly seen or read about Ironman races where a guy in jean shorts wearing tennis shoes on a flat-pedal bike has passed someone tricked out in all the latest gear. The most important thing is the training.

Check out the Classifieds here at BT. (Under "Gear" in the menu.)
There are some used items for sale, and occasionally someone will post something that they are giving away.
2016-08-29 9:37 AM
in reply to: 0

Welcome! I have bought run, bike and swimming clothing from Sierra Trading Post. Get on their email list and they will send you info on special deals just about daily. I've also bought stuff from Amazon including a sleeveless wetsuit for $100 that I have used in four triathlons so far including a half IM. My daughter just turned me on to a web store called Backcountry. They have a lot of outdoor and camping stuff but also swim / bike / run gear. As far as shoes and bike I bought them at the local running and bike stores respectively. I've heard that buying bikes can be like buying cars. If you go into a LBS after the new year model bikes are out you can often catch a deal on last year's model if the store still has it in stock.

Have fun.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2016-08-29 9:39 AM
2016-08-30 9:18 AM

Newport Beach, California
Thanks for advice and support! The bike is my biggest obstacle at the moment.
2016-09-02 3:02 PM

User image

Wow you are one busy guy! Impressed with your work ethic and goals
I've bought all my bikes (road and tri) on Craigslist. If you know a mechanic or someone that is fairly familiar with bikes, may get them to ride along to look with you. I bought my mechanic friend a couple beers and we had a good time looking at bikes.
I bought a 2008 Cervelo P2C fully loaded and in great shape for $900 and my son-in-law bought a nice older Trek tri-bike for $250. I bought used helmets, pedals etc. off e-bay and had good luck with that too. If you buy them reasonably , you can always sell later for as much or more than you paid when you want to upgrade.
Best of luck to you in Tri and in Med School!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Needing some advice and help. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Need Help/Advice

Started by spugh13
Views: 798 Posts: 3

2015-08-30 9:55 PM spugh13

Help, I need advice

Started by mingram
Views: 720 Posts: 7

2006-05-18 8:32 PM tupuppy

mama of 4..need advice for tri-training

Started by spunkynurse
Views: 1514 Posts: 13