Other Resources The Political Joe » Kaepernick Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2016-08-29 10:57 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Kaepernick

I really hate to see sports stars making political statements in the sports venue.  It's one thing to protest outside of the arena but people come to sporting events to get away from politics and current events.  I hope they boo him of the field when he gets put in.

2016-08-29 11:17 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

Master
, California
Subject: RE: Kaepernick

Funny how it wasn't such a huge moral obligation to him back when he was a starter...

2016-08-30 9:02 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro
Tejas
Sure hope one of his linemen doesn't let a linebacker through in silent protest of anti-patriotism.
2016-08-30 9:57 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by mdg2003 Sure hope one of his linemen doesn't let a linebacker through in silent protest of anti-patriotism.

LOL!

I don't get why SF doesn't fire him.  When he is wearing the company uniform he represents the company.  If you want to demonstrate for social injustice or to save the whales do it on your own time.

He is a 3rd string QB and my guess is he is doing this because he knows he's gonna get cut.  Then he can play the race card and say he was cut because of his demonstration.

2016-08-30 10:18 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio

Originally posted by mdg2003 Sure hope one of his linemen doesn't let a linebacker through in silent protest of anti-patriotism.

LOL!

I don't get why SF doesn't fire him.  When he is wearing the company uniform he represents the company.  If you want to demonstrate for social injustice or to save the whales do it on your own time.

He is a 3rd string QB and my guess is he is doing this because he knows he's gonna get cut.  Then he can play the race card and say he was cut because of his demonstration.

You think this guy thinks that far ahead?

2016-08-30 10:43 AM

Master
, California

LOL!

Or it prevents him from being cut, at least temporarily.  The team could 100% do it for performance reasons and the press would still link it to this protest.

2016-08-30 11:26 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I'm fine with anyone standing up (or sitting down) for what they believe, just don't get bent out of shape if there is a backlash - unless it's an unconstitutional backlash from the government.

2016-08-31 10:04 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I am not sure why we even sing the national anthem before sporting events.

I know it was started during WWI and brought back during WWII in order to instill patriotism. Guess it just been a tradition ever since that has stuck. I can understand big events, kinda makes it special, but for your local 5k with 50 people in it is it necessary?

While I think his protest is silly ( Its not like Feds are telling City,County, and State police to go out and shoot black people first and ask questions later) He has got people talking about it.

A person with 19 million he can do a lot to help his community. It you want to end police violence towards your community help end the cycle of poverty and violence in your community will do a lot more than just going around screaming F the police.

2016-08-31 10:30 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I am not sure why we even sing the national anthem before sporting events.

I know it was started during WWI and brought back during WWII in order to instill patriotism. Guess it just been a tradition ever since that has stuck. I can understand big events, kinda makes it special, but for your local 5k with 50 people in it is it necessary?

While I think his protest is silly ( Its not like Feds are telling City,County, and State police to go out and shoot black people first and ask questions later) He has got people talking about it.

I do wonder if its more a you can't fire me otherwise you are a racist kinda thing.

A person with 19 million he can do a lot to help his community. It you want to end police violence towards your community help end the cycle of poverty and violence in your community will do a lot more than just going around screaming F the police.

2016-08-31 11:43 AM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by chirunner134 I am not sure why we even sing the national anthem before sporting events. I know it was started during WWI and brought back during WWII in order to instill patriotism. Guess it just been a tradition ever since that has stuck. I can understand big events, kinda makes it special, but for your local 5k with 50 people in it is it necessary? While I think his protest is silly ( Its not like Feds are telling City,County, and State police to go out and shoot black people first and ask questions later) He has got people talking about it. I do wonder if its more a you can't fire me otherwise you are a racist kinda thing. A person with 19 million he can do a lot to help his community. It you want to end police violence towards your community help end the cycle of poverty and violence in your community will do a lot more than just going around screaming F the police.

I work on a military installation and at 1700 hrs they sound retreat and lower the flag and everybody (military and civilian alike) stops walking, turn toward the flag and stands at attention as the flag is lowered. You disrupt the flag around here and between all the military guys and the rednecks, someone will jerk a knot in your .

I think sporting events is a chance for everyone to put politics aside and just be mutually proud to be an American. Now, if you are not proud to be an American, let it be known and market forces will take of you. In 2008 Michele Obama said "For the first time in my life I am proud to be an American" and within minutes was retracting that and doing damage control. One of the US gymnast failed to put her hand over here heart when they played the National Anthem and within hours she was apologizing.

This guy should ask himself, "Do my actions cause white American to view black America more favorable or less favorable?"

2016-08-31 3:01 PM

User image

NC

One of the US gymnast failed to put her hand over here heart when they played the National Anthem and within hours she was apologizing.

Why do you think she was singled out?

2016-08-31 4:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by Goosedog
Originally posted by Rogillio One of the US gymnast failed to put her hand over here heart when they played the National Anthem and within hours she was apologizing.

1.  She was standing with 4 other girls and all 4 of them had their hand over their heart.....kinda sticks out. 

2.  She is the idol of teenage girls from elementary school and middle school thru college who notice things like this.  FB and Twitter just blew up.

This may sound sexist but woman notice everything!  Her eyebrows don't match.  The girl has on too much mascara.  She really needs lipstick.  Men?  Nice bod!

Edited by Rogillio 2016-08-31 4:17 PM
2016-09-01 11:28 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Originally posted by Rogillio One of the US gymnast failed to put her hand over here heart when they played the National Anthem and within hours she was apologizing.

1.  She was standing with 4 other girls and all 4 of them had their hand over their heart.....kinda sticks out. 

2.  She is the idol of teenage girls from elementary school and middle school thru college who notice things like this.  FB and Twitter just blew up.

This may sound sexist but woman notice everything!  Her eyebrows don't match.  The girl has on too much mascara.  She really needs lipstick.  Men?  Nice bod!

It wasn't a woman that called her out but a guy.  And what about the shot put gold medalist that didn't.  Not a peep anywhere about him not doing it.  Yes I know it is a "liberal" source but here is the comparison.  (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/podium-politics-two-medal-ceremonies-two-different-reactions-n635426).  And you can see about 1/2 way down the tweet saying she was disrespectful.  Personally she shouldn't have to apologize. 

People get too worked up about it.  Nobody should be required to do it (even by the public).  Patriotism should be an intensely personal choice.  And frankly if people are just doing it (standing, putting their hand over their heart, singing the anthem) because they feel they like they have to or are obligated to do it, then to me it has lost the meaning.  If he feels disrespected by the country because of what is going on socially then by all means don't stand.  I have no problem with it.  At all.  And neither do some that are active and retired from the military. 

To me it is alot of nothing.  Oh, and he didn't come out saying he wasn't standing.  It was noticed and he was asked.  AND he actually hadn't been standing all preseason, but this was the first time he had a uniform on so it was noticed. 

2016-09-01 1:15 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by crowny2

It wasn't a woman that called her out but a guy.  And what about the shot put gold medalist that didn't.  Not a peep anywhere about him not doing it.  Yes I know it is a "liberal" source but here is the comparison.  (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/podium-politics-two-medal-ceremonies-two-different-reactions-n635426).  And you can see about 1/2 way down the tweet saying she was disrespectful.  Personally she shouldn't have to apologize. 

People get too worked up about it.  Nobody should be required to do it (even by the public).  Patriotism should be an intensely personal choice.  And frankly if people are just doing it (standing, putting their hand over their heart, singing the anthem) because they feel they like they have to or are obligated to do it, then to me it has lost the meaning.  If he feels disrespected by the country because of what is going on socially then by all means don't stand.  I have no problem with it.  At all.  And neither do some that are active and retired from the military. 

To me it is alot of nothing.  Oh, and he didn't come out saying he wasn't standing.  It was noticed and he was asked.  AND he actually hadn't been standing all preseason, but this was the first time he had a uniform on so it was noticed. 

She said she always puts her hand over her heart.  She apologized because she said she was just caught up in the moment and didn't think about it.

People are certainly free to not stand and to burn flags but I think many underestimate the contempt they will be held in my the vast majority of Americans.  Americans need to travel more so they get a better appreciation of the freedoms we enjoy and take for granted that other countries don't have.  Try doing something like he is doing in China.....

Viewership will be huge tonight as people tune in to see how the crowd reacts. 

http://www.allenbwest.com/allen/message-non-oppressed-black-man-colin-kaepernick

2016-09-01 1:45 PM

User image

Champion

She said she always puts her hand over her heart.  She apologized because she said she was just caught up in the moment and didn't think about it.

People are certainly free to not stand and to burn flags but I think many underestimate the contempt they will be held in my the vast majority of Americans.  Americans need to travel more so they get a better appreciation of the freedoms we enjoy and take for granted that other countries don't have.  Try doing something like he is doing in China.....

Viewership will be huge tonight as people tune in to see how the crowd reacts. 

http://www.allenbwest.com/allen/message-non-oppressed-black-man-colin-kaepernick

Again, my point is who cares if they do or don't put their hand over their heart, stand or sing.  And I bolded the above because it is a straw man argument.  We DON'T live there.  We live in the US where he IS allowed to do what he is doing.  Where you are allowed to protest any way you see fit.  Yes I know that he is not being forced to by the government which is ultimately what the protection of the constitution provides us, not from the general public. 

Ultimately this is all public opinion, which more often than not is knee-jerk and uninformed.  And I would be willing to wager that the people who are raising the biggest stink about this probably DON"T travel much outside of the US because they are essentially calling for forced compliance which is eerily close to what we as a country are against (North Korea, Russia, China etc). 

NOBODY should be forced to do this.  And blind "compliance" is not patriotism. 

2016-09-01 1:51 PM

User image

Champion

In addition, I truly hope that the O-line doesn't accidentally let someone through untouched tonight.  I've seen plenty of people wishing him injury in the game today. And if they do, that would be very sad. 

2016-09-01 1:53 PM

User image

Pro

Patriotism or not......life was a lot more interesting when my Grandpa would knock your hat off your head if you didn't take it off for the flag (God help you if you didn't stand, although I can't remember ever seeing that as a kid)......and that went for anyone within his reach.

We will soon be a nation of people who don't stand for anything..........now there's something we can all sure be proud of.

2016-09-01 2:26 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

In addition, I truly hope that the O-line doesn't accidentally let someone through untouched tonight.  I've seen plenty of people wishing him injury in the game today. And if they do, that would be very sad. 

I hope some one does let someone through as a demonstration of their opinion of his actions that brought disgrace (in the eyes of millions) to the 49ers and the NFL.  I'm not hoping he get injured but a good sack never hurt anyone....well, except Theismann.  

2016-09-01 4:21 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I hope some one does let someone through as a demonstration of their opinion of his actions that brought disgrace (in the eyes of millions) to the 49ers and the NFL.  I'm not hoping he get injured but a good sack never hurt anyone....well, except Theismann.  

Would be funny to watch the ball get snapped and the entire O-line sit down in protest.

2016-09-01 5:30 PM

Master
, California

And Romo.

2016-09-01 8:01 PM

User image

Elite

I really hate to see sports stars making political statements in the sports venue.  It's one thing to protest outside of the arena but people come to sporting events to get away from politics and current events.  I hope they boo him of the field when he gets put in.

Do you feel the same way about John Carlos and Tommie Smith, Gold and Bronze medalists in the 1968 Mexico City Olympics?
They bowed their heads and raised a gloved fist during the playing of the National Anthem.
I find that heroic, personally.
MLK and RFK had each been gunned down within 6 months of the Games...cities were burning...blacks were disproportionately being sent in to Nam as cannon fodder (while Trump gut his 4 deferments of course, "big hero")...yeah, I think John and Tommy were on the right side of history.

• ..as for Kaepernick, no. Not even close. I support his right to do what he did, but it was just dumb. He's cost himself millions, and for what?

• btw, I went to school with some Jehovah's Witnesses. They didn't stand for the National Anthem or recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Nobody got their panties in a bunch either.

2016-09-01 11:08 PM
    in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Pro
    You know, CD, I understand your point about Smith and Carlos....and history has been kind to them, and rightfully so in my mind as yours. I don't know how old you are but I remember the absolute outrage at the time....so not much has changed, although the "outrage" at Kaperstupid is mild in comparison. I guess I just don't get people who protest with no skin in the game (no pun intended)......it all comes off as grandstanding BS in my mind. BTW - have you seen Kaperdummy's socks with the pigs in Police hats? Now that's funny.....makes his point and doesn't offend the masses and ruin your own career.....I like that kind of stuff. I don't like grandstanding bullchit by millionaires or people being supported by those they are protesting agsinst.
    2016-09-02 7:07 AM
    in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Left Brain

Patriotism or not......life was a lot more interesting when my Grandpa would knock your hat off your head if you didn't take it off for the flag (God help you if you didn't stand, although I can't remember ever seeing that as a kid)......and that went for anyone within his reach.

We will soon be a nation of people who don't stand for anything..........now there's something we can all sure be proud of.

But he is standing for something (or I guess in reality sitting) you just don't agree with what he is standing for. 

2016-09-02 7:09 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Hook'em

Would be funny to watch the ball get snapped and the entire O-line sit down in protest.

Got it.  So you guys are ok with them not doing their job because they don't agree with what he is doing and possibly endangering him.  Guess you are ok then if they did it because he came out as gay and their religion was against it? 

And I'm glad that he wasn't hurt last night.  Wasn't a fantastic night but he threw no interceptions OR TD's. 

2016-09-02 8:27 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

But he is standing for something (or I guess in reality sitting) you just don't agree with what he is standing for. 

Not so much.  I think that we can't get to the point where EVERYTHING divides us.  Or, to say it another way, we need to keep something that unites us, that we stand together for.  Our flag, as a symbol of what does unite us (our citizenship in this country), can be left alone for my way of thinking.....too much has been given by too many.  As I said in another post, wear pigs in police hats, or block a highway, or whatever.  It's not the act of protesting or standing for something that I disagree with. It's the flag......leave it alone.  Stand when it passes, salute when in uniform, stand for it's nation's anthem. (or let someone's grandpa knock you on your arse   )

New Thread
    Other Resources The Political Joe » Kaepernick Rss Feed  

of 3