General Discussion Race Reports! » Yellowstone Kelly Mountain Man Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Yellowstone Kelly Mountain Man Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Billings, Montana
United States
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 59m 24s
Overall Rank = 19/25
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Scouted most of the bike course a few months before the race on a trip to the town.

We traveled to Billings the night before and grabbed a hotel. Had a light dinner and it was off to bed. In the morning we were up early and I had a granola bar and juice for breakfast. I was the first one at transition when it opened at 0630. Turned out it was good to be early because space on the bike racks became a premium fast. Took my time staging my gear and was set up in a good position near the bike exit. Stayed surprisingly relaxed.

Event warmup:

Grabbed my headphones and got about a 1/2 mile jog and a good stretch in. About 20 minutes before the start I got my wet suit on and waded around a bit to get a feel for the bottom of the lake and swam a bit to get the feel of the water and keep the nerves calm.
Swim
  • 24m 28s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

It was a good swim. There was a lead group that created some separation early and I lead the chase group so I was pretty alone up there and there was no one to draft. But I was able to sight off a couple of distinct on shore landmarks as the buoys were a little touch to pick up while sighting.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, it felt like a really good swim. Maybe I could have pushed a little harder but it was a safe swim that put me in a good position coming into T1
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Wetsuit got caught on the timing chip ankle and hung up a little bit but not too bad. I had planned on having my shoes clipped in and doing a flying mount however, there happened to be a large speed bump that was positioned awkwardly that would have made it tough. The gravel on the paved lot would have made it tough to run past it and if I mounted before I would have hit it just as I was trying to get settled. So I elected to run past it in my cycling shoes and them mount and clip in. Cost a little time but certainly didnt effect my results any

Dry off less. I should have just forgot about my towel but water was running down my face and in my eyes when I was bent over trying to get cycling shoes on so I grabbed it.
Bike
  • 2h 27m 34s
  • 40 kms
  • 16.26 km/hr
Comments:

I had scouted the course previously but failed to realize I had to re-ride one section twice until the day of the race. The big climb was tough and the decent was a narrow bike path that had other users on it so it was tough to advantage of the speed going back down. I felt like I held my own on the ride, I did get passed by a few guys but my position leading the chase pack out of the water made it tough to get anyone in my sights to catch.

Again, not much. The competitive side of me would have loved to do better but I rode my race and stayed within my limits and finished just below my expected time.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

I made the last minute choice to run in my new shoes and didn't have speed laces in them yet so it took extra time to tie them.

Not forget my race belt. I almost made it out of transition before realizing I didn't grab my belt with my required race number on it so I had to run back and grab it.
Run
  • 1h 04m 31s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 27s  min/km
Comments:

First lap felt great, I was running a little faster than I had hoped by felt strong. At around mile 4 it got tougher as it was starting to hurt (just plain hurt not any specific injury). So I started a walk run strategy and this is was what I think really caused me to fall back in the standings. I did however manage to stay on a pace that would bring me to the finish line under my goal of 3 hours.

There was one aid station providing water at the turn around I should have taken a few more minutes to get more water in me while on the course. I cant say it was dehydration that was starting to kick in but it certainly may have been a factor.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked the lake shore while re-hydrating.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think it was just a lack of depth to my fitness, I performed at a time I was very happy with. For my first Olympic Distance race, goal #1 was to finish, #2 was to finish in under 3.5 hours and my dream goal was sub 3 hours (and I just made it). I felt it was pretty good given 7 months ago I couldn't run around the block without stopping.

Event comments:

This is only my 3rd Triathlon, and first Oly distance so I didn't feel it was fair to the race director to rate it based on my limited experience and lack of comparisons. Additionally it was an inaugural event so I'm sure it will only get better (not saying anything was bad). Id recommend the race to others for sure. There was nothing outside of my own performance that left me wanting more from the race. It was a great setting in a beautiful location with some great athletes.

Last updated: 2016-08-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:28 | 1500 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/3
Overall: 6/25
Performance: Good
https://www.strava.com/activities/692554232
Suit: Xterra
Course: Dry feet start, two laps around a triangle course
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:27:34 | 40 kms | 16.26 km/hr
Overall: 13/25
Performance: Average
https://www.strava.com/activities/692554311
Wind: Little
Course: 1127 feet in elevation change. An out and back T shaped course. https://www.strava.com/activities/692554311
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:04:31 | 10 kms | 06m 27s  min/km
Overall: 17/25
Performance:
https://www.strava.com/activities/692554308/overview
Course: Two lap course
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2016-08-29 3:53 PM

Subject: Yellowstone Kelly Mountain Man Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Yellowstone Kelly Mountain Man Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Mountain Man Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Started by walz
Views: 1624 Posts: 3

2006-07-18 2:57 PM walz

Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Started by Bonecutter
Views: 1241 Posts: 3

2006-07-18 12:05 AM chile7473

Mountain Man Triathlon

Started by JValenzia
Views: 1388 Posts: 2

2006-07-17 11:15 PM chile7473

Started by chile7473
Views: 2525 Posts: 5

2006-07-20 11:01 AM emilyindallas

Started by jchyte
Views: 1741 Posts: 6

2006-07-18 12:01 PM jchyte
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 15, 2010
author : marmadaddy
comments : 0
Kelly Williamson, pro triathlete, reviews her Quintana Roo CD0.1 carbon bike.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"