General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Piecing Together vs Buying Complete Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-01 12:12 AM

User image

Subject: Piecing Together vs Buying Complete
I would like to get back into Triathlons. However, I sold my bike about a year ago and am not really interested is spending the money for another brand new one. Looking for advice with going the used route. Better to buy a complete used or maybe find a frame, mix in some new parts, etc. Which would be more likely to give me more quality for dollars spent? Looking at March to be my first race back.

2016-09-01 5:21 AM
in reply to: spugh13

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Piecing Together vs Buying Complete
Very, very rarely do you get the best deal by piecing things together. *MAYBE* if you have all the necessary tools already and have a long enough timeline to work with so that you can patiently snag things on ebay / forums... but out of building almost every bike I own, I could have bought a used one cheaper (albeit not with the same build most likely)

If you want to be in control of every piece of your bike... it's the only way to go.
If you want a solid bike to ride / race on, you'll never be able to do better than a well kept used one.
2016-09-01 8:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

If you want to be in control of every piece of your bike... it's the only way to go.
If you want a solid bike to ride / race on, you'll never be able to do better than a well kept used one.

I agree with Leegoocrap. Bike manufacturers buy components in relatively huge volume, and get prices that you could never get buying pieces individually. Buying a used frame maybe makes sense if you have a box of components laying around, or you have another bike you plan to pilfer all the parts off of. If you're starting with nothing, it's almost certainly not the most cost effective solution.

Unless you're doing a lot of climbing, 95%+ of the speed potential of a bike is in the frame, wheels, and tires. Beyond a certain point, more money spend on components gets you only lower weight or better comfort. What distance races are you thinking of competing in, and what kind of terrain are you likely to be regularly riding on? If you're doing Sprints or Oly's in the flatlands, weight and comfort aren't nearly as important as if you're going to be doing HIMs or IMs in the mountains.

Edited by gary p 2016-09-01 8:25 AM
2016-09-01 9:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I looked at your profile and saw that you previously invested $3000+ in a P2, and took a pretty good bath on it when you got rid of it after only riding it a couple hundred miles. That's really way more bike than a beginner needs.

Have you considered something like this?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/fuji-aloha-1-1-tt-bike-201...

With a $500 set of FLO 30's and a good set of tires, this bike would probably be capable of delivering Sprint distance bike splits within seconds of the Cervelo, and you're financial exposure would be significantly less. Only at longer distances and much higher fitness levels would the Cervelo be likely to yield a significant time advantage.

Even as it sits (with the stock wheels and tires), that Fuji is more bike than the average first-time triathlete will be riding. I finished 2'nd of 12 in my age group in my first Sprint Triathlon riding this bike: http://www.rudysbikes.com/product/schwinn-fastback-2-198727-1.htm . I got my from Nashbar for $400. Other than pedals and a close ratio "Junior Racer" rear cassette (14-25, bought on Amazon for $30), it was bone stock. Stock wheels, stock tires, stock seat, etc.

If you're just getting started, don't overthink the bike. Any decent road bike will do, and is better for training rides, anyway.

Edited by gary p 2016-09-01 9:27 AM
2016-09-01 11:17 AM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

I built my tri bike up from separate components, making it cheaper than buying the complete bike.  I took my time though and snapped up deals on e-bay.  I did however want a specific wheel-set, which didn't come with the complete bike so by buying the frame, components and wheels separately was cheaper than buying the whole bike and the wheel-set I wanted on top.

2016-09-01 3:54 PM

, Wisconsin
I would agree with Leegoocrap and Gary P. Unless you've got the tools and are willing to invest significant time finding deals on parts it will definitely be far less costly to find a suitable used bike on Craiglist, Ebay, or even mybikeshop.com. And I'd also suggest considering maybe a road bike as you could use it for a lot more than tri.

2016-09-02 3:12 PM
in reply to: tridantri

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by tridantri

I built my tri bike up from separate components, making it cheaper than buying the complete bike.  I took my time though and snapped up deals on e-bay.  I did however want a specific wheel-set, which didn't come with the complete bike so by buying the frame, components and wheels separately was cheaper than buying the whole bike and the wheel-set I wanted on top.

Same here, I got a great deal on a new frame on ebay.  Then pieced parts from of year holiday sales, eBay, ST, and think even here on BT.  I had a decent set of aero Felt TTR wheels that I put a new rear hub on for 11 speed. Had LBS put it together for me. In all I saved about $800 on getting the same bike new and probably a wash on finding it used.  Later spent $650 on a used set of FLO wheels.

That said, if you decide to no go that route, there's also bikesdirect that offers all sorts of rides with all different levels of components: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm  I bought several bikes from them over the years. Basic assembly required, nothing drastic.

2016-09-03 8:57 AM

User image

Thanks for all the feedback and help.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Piecing Together vs Buying Complete Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New vs used, local vs online, rent vs buy - Wetsuits for Southerners with limited funds

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 1281 Posts: 5

2011-09-30 5:21 PM MacMadame

Husband and Wife completed first Tri together!

Started by bennett55434
Views: 716 Posts: 4

2010-07-11 1:25 PM Emfor

one piece vs two piece tri-suit

Started by wide awake
Views: 18617 Posts: 18

2009-07-05 6:06 PM sara0919

Wetsuit: Two-Piece vs One-Piece

Started by SKDickey
Views: 3135 Posts: 13

2009-02-27 7:44 PM Daremo

2 piece vs 1 piece tri suit

Started by ragingferret
Views: 1769 Posts: 14

2007-02-13 10:28 AM sunburnin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2016
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Blind obedience to a goal? Or the bliss of feeling the way you want?

date : May 29, 2015
author : rcjones
comments : 11
Six years ago I was 44 years old and weighed 260+ pounds. If anybody had suggested to me that at age 50 I would complete a sprint-length triathlon I would have rolled my eyes and grabbed a doughnut!
date : November 25, 2014
author : jtriathlete
comments : 12
I'm jumping back into the long-distance races next year and I'm wondering the best way to spend my money? Should I buy a new bike or a powermeter and race wheels?

date : February 20, 2013
author : barryoberholzer
comments : 1
My lungs were burning and my legs were hurting but I had the biggest smile on my face as I ran on the red carpet and received my Ironman 70.3 medal.
date : October 5, 2012
author : MOlsen
Earlier this year I did something I never thought I would do: run a 10k. Last weekend I did something I thought was even further out of reach: complete a triathlon.

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.