General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New beer drinking ex smoker detroit area Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-07 12:48 AM

Subject: New beer drinking ex smoker detroit area
I've decided to try a triathlon. My athletic ability thus far was gym in school which i never applied myself. The only thing I ever really liked was recreational bike riding and swimming. Grew up with an 18 foot round pool and a 10 speed bike. I used to ride for an hour just because it was fun into my twenties. Started smoking at 13 years old.

Now at 44 years old I have just quit smoking for the 6th or 7th time. Also a beer drinking couch potato. No, not giving up my beer. Ready for a challenge and want to get in better shape.

So that's my story. Now, I need a training plan, a coach or two, someone to train with and the gear. Who's up for a challenge?

Gonna look at a few old 10 speed bikes just to get started. Also looking for a sprint distance in the spring.

Dave

2016-09-07 11:03 AM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: New beer drinking ex smoker detroit area
Never been a smoker, but I went from couch to my first sprint tri in 6 months and my first Half Ironman (completed) in 16 months at age 61. It can be done.

Start with a sprint. Find a gym where other triathletes work out if you are going to do strength training. It helps. Go to your library and check out Triathlon books especially by Joe Friel.

You may not want to give up your beer (I didn't give up my wine) but you may have to implement other dietary changes. I cut out the processed crap, sugar, wheat and high carb-low fiber foods like rice and white potatoes. Bread and pasta are out. There are good podcasts on nutrition and triathlon. You'll learn from them.

Good luck and welcome.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2016-09-07 11:06 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New beer drinking ex smoker detroit area Rss Feed