General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I Need A Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-08 12:41 AM

Subject: I Need A Bike
Hi everyone,

Any recommendations for a bike?

I'd like to try my first sprint tri about 9-12 months from now and am need of a bike. I'm looking for one with versatility for a sprint tri, commuting on rough city roads, and occasionally light off roading in city parks. I tried doing this a couple of years ago and decided to put money into an old Schwinn I had which turned out to be a bad idea. My budget is under $800 (the lower the better) and I would be ok with upgrading in the future if I fall in love with sprints.

I've only tried a Trek FX 7.4 and 7.2 at a local bike shop so far and I get the impression it's overpriced... but it is comfortable.

2016-09-08 1:54 PM
in reply to: tenbee

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: I Need A Bike
You could probably get a really nice used bike in the sub 800 range.

I have done what you did with bike I started on a mountain bike, then to a hybrid, then to a road, then to another road, then to a tri, then back to road, now a newer road.

Some of that was upgraditis and some was legitimate upgrade. Each step only made me slightly faster but from the mountain bike to the newest bike it's made a huge difference.

Are you more comfortable on a hybrid bike or is that what you are finding in your price range? Probably not a whole lot of new road bikes in the sub 800 range.
2016-09-08 2:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Fuji Sportif Disc? http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1202762_-1...

Versatile bike, especially if you're willing to swap tires and cassettes around for different uses. You can run 25c tires for smooth-road/racing and up to 32 (and some 35's) for rough-road/light-trail-duty. Not gonna be great at any of the various things you say you want a bike to do, but it will be at least competent in all of them.

Edited by gary p 2016-09-08 2:28 PM
2016-09-08 2:29 PM
in reply to: Nick B

I'm still a little intimidated by road bikes... I tried one once and felt little out of control and that my back would hurt. Maybe that was just a poorly fitting bike. I also wanted something that I could use recreationally or with my dogs attached, so I thought a hybrid would be a good first investment.

I'll look into used bikes. Do you have any recommendations as far as specs? I'm a novice with those details.
2016-09-09 9:52 AM
in reply to: tenbee

User image

, North Carolina
It does sound like a hybrid bike would be a good fit for you.

I'm not as well versed in the hierarchy of shimano for mtn/hybrid bikes. But, for the most part if it is shifting good and not making any noises when you test ride it. It's probably good to go.

One thing to keep in mind is that some parts to wear out, just like cars. One of the biggest ones is the chain, chains do wear out over time. A clean and lubed chain will last a long time but a dirty unlubed one won't last long as long. When it needs replaced it usually means the rear cassette too.

You should be able to shop around your local bike shops and find a hybrid that will suit your needs quite well.
2016-09-11 2:21 AM
in reply to: 0

Seems like a used bike may be out of the question for now... I guess everyone sells or trades them in after winter in my area.

I've tried a few hybrids and found 2 that I like so far. Just curious what people think about a new 2013 Specialized Vita Elite if I can get for around $600. A 4-year-old bike shouldn't matter, right?

Specification - Description
Frame - Specialized E5 aluminum
Fork - Specialized FACT-carbon w/Zertz inserts and aluminum steerer
Rims/Wheels - Specialized Sirrus aluminum
Hubs - Aluminum
Spokes - 14-gauge, stainless-steel
Tires - Specialized Espoir Sport, 700 x 28c w/double BlackBelt puncture protection
Crankset - Shimano
Chainrings - 48/36/26
Front Derailleur - Shimano
Rear Derailleur - Shimano Alivio
Rear Cogs - Shimano, 9-speed: 11-32
Shifters - Shimano
Handlebars - Specialized aluminum, flat
Tape/Grips - Specialized Body Geometry Women's Contour
Stem - Specialized aluminum
Brake Levers - Aluminum
Brakes - Aluminum linear-pull
Pedals - Specialized Sirrus platform
Saddle - Specialized Body Geometry Women's Riva
Seatpost - Aluminum

Edited by tenbee 2016-09-11 2:23 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I Need A Bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

newbie..5'11" 188lbs and in need of Bike..

Started by dlugiwarriors
Views: 733 Posts: 9

2006-05-12 4:20 AM triwor

Need a bike!

Started by MNFirefighter
Views: 651 Posts: 3

2005-08-29 12:10 PM TypeA Girl Pilot

First Tri coming up need some bike advice

Started by sepakk
Views: 799 Posts: 3

2005-08-01 10:21 AM CptnJackSparrow

i need a bike fast!

Started by kimberly
Views: 1285 Posts: 16

2005-06-15 8:20 PM splerph

newbie needs a bike

Started by rotorgeek
Views: 835 Posts: 2

2004-09-04 11:22 AM Machiavelo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
A Collection of Our Favorite Articles for Beginner Triathletes

date : May 30, 2016
author : alicefoeller
Even if you can't change a flat, carry these items:
date : August 22, 2012
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Confused about how much protein you need, when you need it, and the best kinds of protein? The following article answers some of the questions active people commonly ask about protein.

date : May 19, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
First in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : February 22, 2010
author : mrakes1
Discussions on caloric needs for weightloss and workouts plus whole wheat breads.

date : November 11, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Sleep is one of your answers to keep the doctor away. But how much is enough sleep? We'll discuss the benefits of getting a proper amount of sleep and the risks of not getting enough.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
I'm doing my first tri Saturday. It starts at 7 AM and the forecast is calling for a high of 82 (air temp). Do I need to rush out and get a wetsuit?

date : June 17, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Is it a good idea to wear winter training clothing while training in 70 degree weather in an attempt to artificially mimic warmer weather similiar to my race?