General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin and why? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-08 1:52 PM

Subject: Garmin and why?
What benefits, other than data tracking, does a Garmin watch or another like it offer?

2016-09-08 2:39 PM
in reply to: FrankMilena

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Garmin and why?
Originally posted by FrankMilena

What benefits, other than data tracking, does a Garmin watch or another like it offer?

"Other than data tracking"?

It tracks HR, distance, pace, elapsed time, time of day, cadence, power (avg. and normalized), etc..., etc..., etc...

Pretty much any and everything one needs to train...........IF they buy into the benefits of said data. If you don't (buy into those benefits), they're practically useless
2016-09-08 3:06 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by nc452010
Originally posted by FrankMilena What benefits, other than data tracking, does a Garmin watch or another like it offer?
"Other than data tracking"? It tracks HR, distance, pace, elapsed time, time of day, cadence, power (avg. and normalized), etc..., etc..., etc... Pretty much any and everything one needs to train...........IF they buy into the benefits of said data. If you don't (buy into those benefits), they're practically useless

What he said. There are lots of features that you may or may not find useful. 

The dad can be used while  you are working out and later after when you want to analyze your training. 

For example, i know on multiple occasions I've used the Virtual Pacer to help me pace a race - you set a pace target and it tells you how far behind or ahead of it you are. I set a nice 10k pb doing that. I also have programmed interval workouts, set run/walk timers, and my hubby now loves the LiveTrack where i can see where is when he's out biking ... 

But then my running buddy uses little more than the Distance/Pace/Total time for training but she still loves her Garmin. I don't think she's ever really cared that it does much more

A lot of capability and features will depend on what model you have and what you actually care about

2016-09-08 3:41 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I like that the 920XT has blue tooth capability so if I get a call or text while I'm on a long ride the person calling or texting me shows up on the Garmin. Handy since the phone is in my back pocket. Also when I walk in the house it connects to my Wifi and my workouts are all loaded up without me having to do anything. Automatically loads up to Strava, Mapmyrun etc. from Garmin Connect.

If you're being coached I'm sure a coach would want to see data as well.

I have no idea what to do with the run metrics like average strike length, cadence, foot plant time and vertical displacement. But really cool stuff though.

I haven't sued the virtual pacer yet I might give that a try. I was a Pacer for a HM Sunday LOL!
2016-09-08 6:46 PM
in reply to: #5198073

What model Garmin or other brand would you guys recommend. I like the pacing feature for races. If Bluetooth capable would it pick up say a Wahoo cadence/power sensor from the bike?
2016-09-08 7:21 PM

User image

One of the biggest benefits of a Garmin type device (as compared to a simple wrist watch with chrono features) is that it can track more data and also provides an easier way to track that data over time.  When I first started running, I just had a Timex Ironman watch and I would get total time I ran and I would use a website tool like mapmyrun to estimate the distance.  From there I could manually calculate my average pace and manually log that information somewhere.  

Once I got a Garmin, I automatically got distance and pace, as well as lap splits (I auto lapped each mile) so I could easily know if I was maintaining the same pace throughout a run, speeding up, or slowing down.  Then the data gets loaded to Garmin Connect (which can now feed automatically to other sites) so that all your historical data is accessible whenever or wherever you want it.

Garmin does also have other new features that allow it to act more like a smart watch, but the main draw is still data collection and data retention for your workouts. 

2016-09-08 7:47 PM
in reply to: #5198107

User image

, North Carolina
The best thing my 910 does is count laps in the pool. Don't know how the little man in there knows but it sure is neat.

My 910 does pick up my wahoo speed/cadence sensor but it is ant+. Sensor is both ant+ and Bluetooth.

There is a ton of data in that watch. I don't use it to its full potential but that's not the watches fault.
2016-09-09 9:21 AM

User image

I use it in run training to make sure I stay on plan with pacing and don't over due it.  Helps with injury prevention in my case.  I used to just use stop watch feature on a digital watch.  I prefer to be able to see what my pace is vs RPE while I run.

Racing biggest benefit for me is not blowing myself up in the first 1-2 k of a run. 

I also try to ditch all the gps stuff for a bike or run once in awhile. 

2016-09-10 12:21 PM
in reply to: #5198113

New user
I have a Fitbit Surge. It tracks the things "I" want as in GPS, HR, average pace, alerts at each mile (giving previous mile split) while running. With cycling, it gives GPS and HR. Between the watch and Cateye on my bike, the distance measured is usually within a few hundredths of a mile. Water resistant, not proof, so i don't swim with it. I have been very happy with it for what i want. Also, the strap recently tore and they sent me a new watch, no questions asked.
2016-09-12 7:12 PM
in reply to: #5198275

Bought a Garmin 910, from the reviews and features seems the right fit for me. Waiting to get it in the mail.
2016-09-13 3:52 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Jason N

One of the biggest benefits of a Garmin type device (as compared to a simple wrist watch with chrono features) is that it can track more data and also provides an easier way to track that data over time.  When I first started running, I just had a Timex Ironman watch and I would get total time I ran and I would use a website tool like mapmyrun to estimate the distance.  From there I could manually calculate my average pace and manually log that information somewhere.  

Once I got a Garmin, I automatically got distance and pace, as well as lap splits (I auto lapped each mile) so I could easily know if I was maintaining the same pace throughout a run, speeding up, or slowing down.  Then the data gets loaded to Garmin Connect (which can now feed automatically to other sites) so that all your historical data is accessible whenever or wherever you want it.

Garmin does also have other new features that allow it to act more like a smart watch, but the main draw is still data collection and data retention for your workouts. 

This was me until my Timex died and then I got a Forerunner 10 which was a bit of a mistake. It was great for running but swimming and cycling not so much, and the lack of bluetooth was a PITA.

I just picked up a Garmin 735XT a couple of weeks ago and I'm loving it so far. Still learning the ins and outs of it but it was great to go swimming this week and not have to try and remember what lap I was on, it allowed me to fully focus on certain aspects of my stroke that I am trying to improve - like not drowning

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin and why? Rss Feed