General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Box/Bag Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-10 8:05 PM

User image

Subject: Bike Box/Bag
Hi all, been a while I actually posted anything but I've been lurking. Anyone have good feedback on what kind of bike bag or box that I could pack a carbon frame road bike (2013 Scott Foil) and expect it to reasonably survive an airline trip overseas without having to pay exorbitant oversize baggage fees? If I don't bring it on the plane with me, I will probably have a good couple months where I won't have access to my bike and that would be an extremely sad state of affairs.

2016-09-11 11:58 AM
in reply to: casey21

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
Subject: RE: Bike Box/Bag
Try renting a bike in Europe. It will cost less than buying a travel box and paying shipping costs.
2016-09-11 4:43 PM
in reply to: #5198301

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
I would definitely go for a box over a bag, especially for a carbon bike. Don't what your options are in terms of airlines but some do not charge much extra for bike boxes. In fact I have flown with mine for no extra cost, although that was some years ago.
2016-09-11 5:18 PM
in reply to: #5198358

User image

I'm actually heading over to Korea as the next Army adventure so I'll be there for a while, my household goods just will take a bit to catch up to me, otherwise yes, renting would probably make more sense if it was just a trip over there.

Box was what I was leaning towards also. Just have no experience in what would be decent and not too heavy if anyone has had luck with something here
2016-09-12 7:25 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Sounds crazy but if you pack it well, just an ordinary cardboard bike box can work well and, on some airlines, will allow you to fly the bike for free if you are within the weight/piece limit for luggage. I would have a bike shop provide the box and pack the bike for you--it sounds scary, but you should realize that most bikes originate from places other than where you bought them, and were probably originally shipped from China or Taiwan or wherever....in a cardboard box, partially disassembled, just like you would be doing.

I do have a bike case now (Evoc) that I use to bring my tri bike to and from the States in the summer, but for races within Asia, I still use the cardboard box most of the time--requires less disassembly/reassembly and saves on fees. Rover (my bike) recently went to Australia with me (9+ hours of flying) for Worlds in a cardboard box, packed by the local bike shop (and by me after the race). He flew free from Saigon to Brisbane via Singapore and back on Singapore Airlines, plus an additional 90 minute ride in a luggage van to the race site. In the Evoc case, he would have required assembly/disassembly that is really beyond my mechanical comfort zone, and I would have needed to pay an additional fee. I may well have been the only person un-classy enough to bring a bike in a cardboard box to a world championship, but whatever. I have never made any claims to being classy.

Rover and his predecessor, White Terror, have traveled to races in a box probably at least 12 times over several years, with no damage. The only incident happened when a box disintegrated in transit due to a tropical deluge--not during air travel, but on a ferry and taxi trip from an Indonesian island to the Singapore airport. Somehow I managed to replace the bike box--an arriving passenger had left one at the ferry terminal or the airport--and repacked the bike before the flight.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-09-12 7:28 AM
2016-09-12 1:48 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

Originally posted by Hot Runner Sounds crazy but if you pack it well, just an ordinary cardboard bike box can work well and, on some airlines, will allow you to fly the bike for free if you are within the weight/piece limit for luggage. I would have a bike shop provide the box and pack the bike for you--it sounds scary, but you should realize that most bikes originate from places other than where you bought them, and were probably originally shipped from China or Taiwan or wherever....in a cardboard box, partially disassembled, just like you would be doing.  

This is a good option.  I've flown to Vancouver from the UK with my bike in a box.  Ditched it at the airport did a cycle tour then found a bike shop in LA who gave me another one and flew home with that.  Only needed to take the wheels and handlebars off.  This saves a lot of money on a box and the bike is safe.

2016-09-13 7:13 PM
in reply to: tridantri

User image

Thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind. I actually have an old bike box I was planning on packing one of my mountain bikes in for the movers to take (don't ever trust Army movers). Shouldn't be too hard to find another at the LBS for this adventure as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Box/Bag Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rocket Science Rocket Bag vs Elite Bag

Started by Khines1996
Views: 823 Posts: 1

2015-03-20 2:53 PM Khines1996

Bike Box

Started by snake111
Views: 565 Posts: 2

2007-05-30 11:42 AM the bear

Need reccomendations on a bike box.

Started by Stake
Views: 1038 Posts: 5

2006-12-28 1:57 PM crusevegas

Bike shipping box

Started by KenyonTri
Views: 526 Posts: 1

2006-06-26 9:52 PM KenyonTri

transition bag, back pack, duffel bag

Started by snoopy
Views: 983 Posts: 4

2005-05-13 5:48 PM trimom3
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 17, 2013
author : hoffsquared
comments : 0
I was pretty excited to test out a triathlon-specific gear bag. I'm on the lookout for something functional, comfortable, and maybe even a bit stylish.

date : December 10, 2012
author : XLAB Hydration
XLAB releases the Stealth Pocket and the Rocket Pocket series of aero bags.
date : March 8, 2007
author : Iron MaYden
comments : 2
How tricked out can someone make a triathlon duffel bag that stands out from the rest?

date : June 6, 2006
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
Until now, I have shied away from triathlon-specific gear bags. They were just too small for my needs. So imagine my skepticism the day the RRS Triathlon Backpack showed up on my door.
date : April 24, 2005
I can't get my gel pack out of my back pocket and then get it open to eat! I know this sounds really beginnerish, but what tricks or tools can I use to be able to have my food more accessible?

date : April 10, 2005
author : scuba-punk
comments : 2
Tuesday April 5, 2005 marks the 1 year anniversary of my departure from my old life - a life consuming bags of fried pork rinds and way less activity than a person should be able to get away with.
date : November 14, 2004
author : Glenn
I have seen cyclists go to a bike shop the day before a race expecting their problem to be fixed, only to be told the shop cannot complete the job in time.