General Discussion Race Reports! » SLO Ultra / Wild Cherry Canyon XC HM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

SLO Ultra / Wild Cherry Canyon XC HM - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Avila Beach, California
United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 45m 16s
Overall Rank = 143/467
Age Group = M40-49
Age Group Rank = 15/20
Pre-race routine:

Pre-race sushi dinner, gathered my gear together then went to sleep early. With a start time of 8:30 I didn't need to wake up at the crack of dawn but I did want to get on site early enough for packet pickup and get warmed up. My wife dropped me off at the entrance to the location which was still about 1/2 mile from the start area. Another participant gave me a ride into the festival area and I took care of packet pickup. Found a couple of friends who were also hiking/running the HM and we chatted until it was time to line up at the start.
Event warmup:

Stretched my legs and warmed up a little. The low morning clouds had not burned off yet and the canyon we were about to run up remained hidden in the fog.
Run
  • 2h 45m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I was expecting lots of hills and I was not let down! Right from the start the course worked it's way up the canyon and at the first 1/2 it started getting steep and most of us went from a run pace to a hike pace. After climbing for a mile there was a relatively flat spur through a meadow at the the top of a hill. I was hoping for a view of the ocean below however the morning clouds were still lingering and so I could barely see the pier through the fog. The first spur reconnected to the main course and we went off on the second spur along the top of an adjacent hill.

The second spur connected back to the main course at around the 4 mile point and so far it was just a warm up for the main climbs to come. The next 3 miles climbed approximately 1000 feet including two small peaks and descents to reach the highest peak of the course. The sun started to break through the clouds however the dirt road was shaded by the abundant oak trees lining the steep hills. At the top I paused to enjoy the rugged beauty of the terrain and reminded myself this is why I trail run!

Heading down the main hill included a mile of single track as the course transitioned from one dirt road to another. It was a nice and serene change interrupted by the out of place ringing of a cow bell. At first I thought "what the heck is that way out here" before encountering the aid station at the intersection of the dirt road and trail. I paused to enjoy a couple slices of oranges and thanked the volunteers then hit the road.

This dirt road was much better maintained than the first as it was the service road for power lines. Had my legs been fresher I would have been able to run more of it however I found my self walking more than I wanted. My overall energy levels were good despite my tired legs. At mile 10.5 the road reconnected with the main trail and I saw a friend who was walking the course. She took an "action" picture of me running (as well as the other pictures linked below) and we cheered each other on.

The final 3 miles had two more ascents before the final mile downhill stretch. At the top of the last peak the clouds had cleared up enough to reveal the ocean view I had hoped to see! After a steep mile decent I was able to run the last 1/4 of a mile to the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Try to run more in the later miles when trail/road conditions were good. With more hill training I may be able to sustain a faster pace on the climbs which would help overall.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched my legs and drank some water. Unfortunately the BBQ was long and not moving so I opted to pass on food for the moment. Walked out to the canyon entrance on my sore legs to get picked up then went out for a celebratory beer!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Parts of the trail conditions were a bit too rocky and uneven to keep a fast running pace.

Event comments:

Challenging and beautiful course.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-09-12 12:00 AM
Running
02:45:16 | 13.1 miles | 12m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/20
Overall: 143/467
Performance: Good
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1356468502
Course: Mix of dirt roads and trails through very hilly and rugged terrain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-09-12 2:21 PM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: SLO Ultra / Wild Cherry Canyon XC HM

2016-09-13 7:26 AM
in reply to: #5198535

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: SLO Ultra / Wild Cherry Canyon XC HM

Sounds like a fun race - and what a view!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SLO Ultra / Wild Cherry Canyon XC HM Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Canyon de Chelly Ultra

Started by Pilgrim
Views: 831 Posts: 2

2013-10-20 8:24 PM morey000

Wild Cherry Loop Trail Race - Half Marathon

Started by twinklebug
Views: 969 Posts: 1

2010-09-14 10:32 AM twinklebug

SLO Criterium

Started by coachozzy
Views: 682 Posts: 1

2007-08-12 10:08 PM coachozzy

San Luis Obispo (SLO) Triathlon

Started by mazdageek
Views: 1185 Posts: 1

2007-07-23 1:52 PM mazdageek

San Luis Obispo (SLO) Triathlon

Started by rwkahn3
Views: 1108 Posts: 1

2007-07-22 7:24 PM rwkahn3
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Performance starts with fueling, not training! This article provides nutrition tips for ultra-endurance athletes as well as ordinary exercisers who want ultra-energy.

date : July 23, 2012
comments : 1
Learn what the latest research is on using caffeine, sports drinks, cherry juice and beets to improve your triathlon performance.
date : May 24, 2012
comments : 0
Learn the effects that beets, cherries, sleep and body image have on your athletic performance.