General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting faster on the bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-14 10:37 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: Getting faster on the bike
Just general topic of conversation, but in your opinion, what is the best route to take to get faster? By route I mean some type of prioritizing of elements in order. People are always asking about buying speed while they may be leaving some low hanging fruit out there whether it's personal weight, position, tires, etc. It's just kind of in my nature to try and take care of the things I can control first (personal weight, engine work, slight position changes) before going out and buying a new bike or helmet. Some people just like to buy shiny stuff (hint of jealously here) and that's cool too, but what do you think is the best method to get faster?

Since I'm still trying to get faster (as I'm sure we all are) and I'm starting from close to ground zero after 2 years off I'm curious. My mind tells me to approach my own weight first. I can weigh grams of wheels and whatever, but at 19% BF I could stand to lose 20 lbs to get me to a really ideal weight which is a hell of a lot more weight than a new wheel set (I'm neglecting the other advantages of wheels here in regards to performance and just speaking weight specifically for this). Element 1a would be engine work, which IMO works hand in hand with weight and is just as, if not more, important. Ride more to get the engine tuned up and it should work well with weight lose. #2 would be position on the bike. Maybe not as far as tunnel testing, but getting fit was a huge thing for me a couple years ago and really put me in a comfortable and beneficial position. From an affordability standpoint, after that are we talking just equipment upgrades do you think? Assuming general riding skills are accumulated during riding more, next would be further eliminating drag and rolling resistance, so tires, wheels, aero equipment, etc.

Not sure if there's really a question in there or more of just a series of thoughts.

2016-09-14 10:57 AM
in reply to: jonD81

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Getting faster on the bike

For longer term development, look into training methods and appropriate tools for them early on. Developing your fitness is an on-going process. Equipment changes can be made along the way. Also remember that these things aren't really entirely in isolation from one another either.

2016-09-14 12:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
My biggest gains with increased speed on bike can be attributed to my Tri bike and doing power intervals.

Power Intervals: Warm up for 10-15 minutes.
Ride in 65-75 cadence on large ring in hardest gear you can handle on flat road for five minutes. Then normal riding for five minutes in 85 cadence.
Repeat for at least a hour of riding.
You can increase the five minutes to ten minutes after you do the intervals after a few training sessions. Keep the normal riding at five minutes after the ten minute power intervals. Discovered this work out in my HIM training from the BT training plans. Helped me big time in bike speed.

I do Power Intervals at least once a week.

I'm usually first in my age group (50-54) in bike and in top group out of the field in my races. I don't have speed wheels or fancy helmet. Just my engine and Tri bike.
2016-09-14 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Like Ben said, there are lots of different ways you can achieve better bike splits (i.e. get faster).  None of them are free - either you pay for them in $$ or sweat, and it's been my experience that there's a better ROI on the latter. 

If you don't have a trainer, that's a great investment.  Being able to ride indoors provides a weather-free and safe environment to train.  Getting a good bike fit is a good investment, properly balancing comfort vs. power vs. aerodynamics.

2016-09-14 12:57 PM

User image

The three ways to get faster on the bike are to improve fitness, get better equipment or a more aerodynamic setup, and to improve your bike handling and confidence in going fast.  Usually buying equipment and getting a more aerodynamic setup can be done while you're not training or improving your handling skills, so it's not an either/or decision on which you decide to do.  You can do BOTH if you want to!  

Improving fitness and handling skills take a lot of work and a lot of time, but in general it is either free or of low cost (if you're doing some type of trainer software or something).  It usually yields the biggest gains for someone new to cycling though.

Equipment choices and setup are generally a quick fix, and cost a bit or a lot of money.  But once you get the benefit, it doesn't bear more fruit over time like improving fitness does.

So to me the best approach is to work on everything you can afford to work on.  And for some people, time, not money, is the real limiter so there is no shame in spending money to buy speed if you're already maximizing your available time to train.

2016-09-14 1:28 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Like Ben said, there are lots of different ways you can achieve better bike splits (i.e. get faster).  None of them are free - either you pay for them in $$ or sweat, and it's been my experience that there's a better ROI on the latter. 

If you don't have a trainer, that's a great investment.  Being able to ride indoors provides a weather-free and safe environment to train.  Getting a good bike fit is a good investment, properly balancing comfort vs. power vs. aerodynamics.

The trainer is a huge one. A team mate-friend of mine is currently the Illinois State TT champ in his age group (his 40K was 55:18:00 ) and he rarely rides actual road...well, at least not nearly as much as he rides the trainer. In other words, he's an extremely strong, fast rider and does much of that gain indoors.

2016-09-14 1:35 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Jason said some on this too. The ROI on the latter works more as fitness keeps building on top of prior fitness. So the earlier that gets attention, the more the gains can be. A lot of equipment tends make a more static or fixed amount of gain. It's definitely there, but once you have it, it's not really going to develop more. Having a well fitting bike (not necessarily a highly aero one), can be a bit of both as it is equipment, but can also help with training more & better while also being able to utilize fitness better.

2016-09-14 2:17 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

, North Carolina
The trainer is probably one of the best returns on investment you can get. Hard to do focused interval training on the road. Much easier on the trainer. I also recommend trainerroad.
2016-09-14 3:17 PM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Originally posted by Nick B

The trainer is probably one of the best returns on investment you can get. Hard to do focused interval training on the road. Much easier on the trainer. I also recommend trainerroad.

I also strongly recommend trainerroad. I'm 58 and started doing tris 9 years ago. I've had a goal to average 22 mph in any distance race. Up to this year, my best has been around 21.5 mph for an oly. I started using TR last December and my bike fitness has gotten much better. This summer I did two 70.3 races and averaged 21.2mph for the Muncie 70.3 in July and 22.4mph for the Steelhead 70.3 in August. Both were PRs due to PRs for the bike splits. I do almost all my training with trainerroad now.

I know that my bike fitness is better, but the other differences from previous years included:
1. Lower rolling resistance tires.
2. Aero helmet.
3. Shaved legs.
4. VERY well lubricated drive train.
5. (Steelhead, only) New trisuit that had a tighter fit and I think may have had lower wind resistance as well.

I also lost about 20 lbs from December to May. I want to lose another 10 lbs, but figured I would wait until after the racing season.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting faster on the bike Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

getting faster on the bike by spring

Started by brucemorgan
Views: 2130 Posts: 8

2009-12-23 2:13 PM Steve-

Finally getting faster on the bike.

Started by chevy57
Views: 1091 Posts: 4

2009-05-06 12:24 PM jkward

Getting faster on the bike for someone very slow Pages: 1 2

Started by amyro1234
Views: 2738 Posts: 26

2008-06-06 12:37 PM JohnnyKay

The Secret to getting faster on the bike....

Started by piperfl
Views: 1957 Posts: 16

2007-08-02 3:26 PM Donto

Getting faster on the bike

Started by caseyr02
Views: 1437 Posts: 17

2006-07-11 11:41 AM joannh13
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 20, 2012
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is there an 8-12 week plan to improve technique and strength on the bike, with some running in it as well?

date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?
date : September 16, 2011
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.

date : August 29, 2011
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 1
How to improve your bike split in a triathlon through careful planning and execution of your training schedule
date : August 19, 2011
comments : 1
Part One: On Speed, Desire and Age. There are some advantages to running slowly. Now, give me a minute here and I'll try to think of one.

date : September 10, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
Should I be working on getting faster at running by doing the longer distances and working up slowly over time or run faster for shorter distances now?
date : May 12, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I'm too slow for some group rides and of course I want to increase it for races. What exercise/training should I be focusing on?

date : May 5, 2008
author : Team BT
We take a tour through Colorado Premier Training's wind tunnel. Mark Cote explains how it works and how getting a wind tunnel bike fit can be one of your most important tools in getting faster.