Legend Endurance
61F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 56m 12s
Overall Rank = 3/120
Age Group = 35-39M
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

Up around 4:00 am for an small breakfast. My race wasn't starting for another 4 hours so no sense in getting all a bunch of calories in now. I also didn't do coffee this time because by the time it would be cool enough to drink it'd be time to head out the door and I was already carrying three other drinks into the car with me. I drank part of my breakfast on the 60 min trip to Lawrence, a breakfast smoothie and some beet juice.

I signed up for this race the week of. It was pretty much the last chance to do a triathlon locally before the season ends and I wanted to get one more race in this year. I debated back and forth between doing the sprint and Olympic. I did the sprint because I figured with my level of fitness, the type of bike course, and how I like to push things in racing I would be hating life the whole time in the Olympic race. By signing up I also keep my annual streak of doing at least one new race I've never done before.
Event warmup:

Transition closed at 7:15 but my race didn't go off until around 8:30, so I ate a bit more light nutrition, watched the 70.3 race start, and then did a small warm-up to kill some time. I ended up putting on my wetsuit, mostly because the air temps were in the 50s with a breeze and I could use a little insulation. Plus, free speed, even if it is only a sprint.
Swim
  • 06m 48s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

I lined up as the farthest to the left with a straight shot to the first turn buoy about 150 yards from shore. I was in a 30-40 male wave and it looked like it was going to be competitive based on that first 150 yards. But I reached the turn first and after that I was all alone. With no one to follow it took me the longest time (it seemed that way, at least) to find the next buoy to sight off of, but I couldn't find it. I had to pull-up and tread water to find it. I was a little worried that other swimmers were going to start plowing over me because I stopped, but it never happened. I then remembered that there was a good sized boat parked by the final turn buoy, so I headed in his direction.

There was a little bit of lap traffic when I converged with the Olympic swimmers, but no biggie. The water headed up the beach was pretty shallow, so I did more walking through the water than I would have preferred., but it what it is.
What would you do differently?:

Intensity was a little low here on this leg, maybe because I was out in front, solo. I do better when I have another guy there with me.
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

3/11
10/120

No hill to run up out of the water. Thumbs up. My wetsuit didn't want to slide off of my arms. Usually this is not the place where I get hung up on. Felt slow and clunky in T1.
Bike
  • 26m 59s
  • 10 miles
  • 22.24 mile/hr
Comments:

The course starts out mostly flat so I tried to focus on getting my breathing and HR under control. I did ok. I tried not to get too wrapped up in what the Olympic/70.3 racers were doing in terms of pace. The turn around was just a cone in the middle of the road. It was uncontrolled and had to come to a near complete stop while I waited for a car to go by. Even my Garmin autopause decided to beep at me.

After that I was finally able to gauge where everyone else was behind me. There were 3 guys relatively close and within striking range, but after that there wasn't much else. Here is a good point to mention that I had a small inkling that I *might* be able to get an overall win. However, I didn't know anyone doing the sprint so this was up in the air.

When your the first person to hit portions of the course you find minor flaws in the course markings. My first such experience came as I was closing in on T2. I had already pulled my feet out of my shoes and was pedaling, head down, towards transition when I all of a sudden looked up and saw a sign and an arrow pointing left. I braked hard, thinking I was going to miss my turn, but it turns out the sign was just for additional parking. A guy caught up to me and witnessed the whole thing. I don't know if I should be angry with myself or not for this mistake, but later the race crew would put up signage to reduce the confusion.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

5/11
60/120

Gosh I'm an idiot.
Transition is empty, I'm the first bike back in. I have no idea where to go. My bib # was 939, but in my head I was thinking 993, and the signs hanging at the end of each row confused me to no end. I swear it felt like I was wondering around T2, with bike in hand, for 5+ minutes. Eventually I gave up on the signage and started looking for my equipment, which is when I spotted my shoes.

This was the second race in a row (both sprints) that I've ran sans socks and its been no issue at all. Ever since I got blisters on my feet from going sockless in my very first tri I've avoided doing this.
What would you do differently?:

Tie a bright balloon to my transition spot so I can find it (just kidding).
Run
  • 20m 3s
  • 3 miles
  • 06m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I was second out of transition but I passed the other guy right away to take the lead spot. One of the other deficiencies in the course markings was making sure the run path was clear. Turns out quite a few spectators set up camp on the run course, next to transition and no one bothered to tell them. So when I came running around I'm halfway tripping over people, their lawn chairs, and maybe even one dog..

When I arrived at the campground there was a intersection where you could either go straight or turn left. I knew we had turn left at some point but I wasn't sure if this was it or not. I turned around and looked at the guy running behind me. Without even saying a word to him he threw up his hands to show he was just as confused as I was. He yelled, "whichever way you go, I'll follow." Well I went straight, correctly. I soon came upon an aide station stocking up for the day. I quickly shouted to a guy who may or may not have some sort of authority in these kind of direction matters and let him know that the previous intersection wasn't clear.

After that I resumed the usual suffering one does during a 5k in a sprint triathlon. Any hopes of winning the sprint were dashed around 1.5 miles after a guy in my age group passed me. And it wasn't the sort of pass where one slowly creeps on by you. No, it was the kind where I look like I'm standing still and he is sprinting. No chance of even going with him. He actually got a gap on me and then I at least kept that gap from growing too much bigger. Coming into the finish I again dodged some more people, this time a couple walking their lab in front of the finish shoot entrance.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited around a long time for age group awards (2 hrs after finishing my race). Met a talkative guy from Hays, KS. So we passed the time talking training and what-not.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was really annoyed after this race and I wasn't sure if it should be with myself or the race. Probably a little both. The part that affected my finish time were probably mostly on me and my mental sharpness.

Event comments:

Having never been to this side of Clinton Lake, I was really impressed with the beach area. While the Oly and 70.3 bike course mirrors a lot of the June race that takes place on the other side, this is a great location for a race. Plus this run course is more shaded. I'm sure 99.999% of people didn't have any course marking problems but it caused some minor issues for me. Also, while likely a one-time occurrence (because I don't recall them having an issue before) Ultramax had issues with their timing and figuring our final finishing order. I stuck around about an hour or so longer than I would've normally.

Good race, generally speaking, and I would do it again.

Last updated: 2016-09-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:48 | 500 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 8/120
Performance: Good
Suit: Full-sleeved
Course: Counter-clockwise rectangle, parallel to the shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:26:59 | 10 miles | 22.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 4/120
Performance: Good
Wind: Little with gusts
Course: Five miles straight out; five miles back in. Only small rollers on the sprint course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:03 | 03 miles | 06m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 4/120
Performance: Average
Course: Loop around a shaded campground. Partially on gravel.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-09-16 1:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: Ad Astra Triathlon

2016-09-21 9:53 AM
in reply to: #5199023

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Ad Astra Triathlon
Nice work Mike! Solid splits on each leg. The 2nd place guy in your AG had really fast transitions and that made the difference as your swim and bike splits were faster a a couple minutes.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ad Astra Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ad Astra Triathlon

Started by Blastman
Views: 1314 Posts: 2

2016-09-14 11:25 AM Barkeep

Lake Lanier Islands Triathlon Festivals (My First Triathlon, My Next Triathlon)

Started by JBD
Views: 1340 Posts: 1

2007-05-14 8:13 PM JBD

Wildman Triathlon Festival - Sprint Triathlon

Started by hobiecat18m
Views: 2082 Posts: 2

2006-04-17 2:53 PM drdi

Started by swinfough32955
Views: 4322 Posts: 2

2006-03-23 7:16 PM DrAught