General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bruised heal Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-16 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Subject: Bruised heal

I've been suffering from a what I think is a bruised heal for a good month now.  Initially it was painful to walk on all of the time but it has since calmed down and I have tried a number of shorter runs but it flares up the next day.  One of the strangest symptoms is that simply running my fingers over the skin with little pressure causes more discomfort (almost like a nails on blackboard kind of thing) than actually pressing down hard on my heal?  Anyone know why?  Any advice?

2016-09-19 10:36 AM
in reply to: tridantri

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: RE: Bruised heal
I really hate to tell you this but I think it's Plantar fasciitis (sp?). I had the same issue several years ago and swore it wasn't PF because it didn't feel like needles on the bottom of my feet and wasn't worse first thing in the morning. I kept running but then finally decided that ignoring it wasn't making it go away. I did the following and thankfully it worked for me. Same thing did not work for my hubby tho but his pain was different. So you may have to do a lot of research and try lots of things. Once I got very serious about identifying the problem, I was feeling better 3 weeks later. I still have flare-ups and I immediately start with the things below.

1. Marble pickups. 50 or 60 per foot about 5 times a day.
2. Taping the bottom of my foot. Google different methods.
3. Stretching on this tortoise shaped thing with the heel going down and then going up. Holding for about 15 seconds each time.
4. Rolling the bottom of the foot with this prickly ball that I managed to find. Some people use tennis balls or even baseballs.
5. Sit on the floor and extend your legs out. Place a rope or strap around the upper part of your foot and gently pull it back towards you and hold for 20-30 secs. Repeat on the other foot.
6. Compression socks.
7. Look at every shoe that you ever wear. Every.one.of.them. Not just running shoes (but definitely those) but even the other shoes you wear. Did the problem occur when you started wearing different shoes? After I had this problem, I soon learned which shoes were causing me problems - this pair of boots, that pair of sandals, this other pair of boots if I wore them 2 or 3 days in a row.
8. Ice. For me it didn't seem to help but maybe it's because I hate it so much.
9. Some people buy the Strausberg sock or wear a boot at night. Hubby did the sock first and now has a boot. It helps him.
10. Anti-inflammatory meds but of course not for long term.

Good luck with it!
2016-09-20 10:58 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

I thought it might have been PF too, or a problem with my Achilles.  However I have suffered from these injuries before and the pain is very different.  I cannot make it hurt by tensing either my PF or Achilles, eg. hopping up and down on my toes would aggravate a strained Achilles but I can do this no problem.  I do regularly massage my PF with a foot roller as I do suffer from tightness from time to time.  I will do some of the exercises you suggest anyway, just in case and it is something that does flare up now and again, so thanks.

Thankfully I am still able to ride and I have tried a few tentative runs recently without too much discomfort.  When it was at its worst even the flow of water over my heal in the pool was uncomfortable, just like lightly brushing something over it.  Thankfully it is much better now but I just need to make the final step back to running.

2016-10-08 11:13 AM
in reply to: #5199037

Could be a nerve ?
2016-11-03 4:28 AM
in reply to: tridantri

Originally posted by tridantri

I've been suffering from a what I think is a bruised heal for a good month now.  Initially it was painful to walk on all of the time but it has since calmed down and I have tried a number of shorter runs but it flares up the next day.  One of the strangest symptoms is that simply running my fingers over the skin with little pressure causes more discomfort (almost like a nails on blackboard kind of thing) than actually pressing down hard on my heal?  Anyone know why?  Any advice?

If your pain is in the heel then the problem may be plantar fascia. Icing your bottom part of the feet is a good way to reduce the pain. Initial treatments include stretching, weight loss and heel lifts. If you are still feeling uncomfortable then take any physiotherapy treatment ( http://www.physionow.ca/services/physiotherapy/). Good luck with your training, hopefully you’ll be at full fitness in no time!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bruised heal Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Can a bruised hip heal in 3 days?

Started by outlandluc
Views: 1489 Posts: 3

2013-07-03 4:42 PM outlandluc

healing bruises

Started by chile7473
Views: 821 Posts: 3

2006-04-22 9:45 PM parrj

Help needed to heal blisters *Please*

Started by splerph
Views: 1066 Posts: 5

2005-05-04 12:07 AM splerph

Healing vibes & good thoughts needed.............

Started by twinstrimom
Views: 1180 Posts: 7

2004-12-17 9:05 PM scuba-punk

Pulled muscle, how long to heal?

Started by ride_like_u_stole_it
Views: 4063 Posts: 2

2004-07-27 11:19 AM tech_geezer
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 22, 2013
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
What can I eat to heal quickly? How can I avoid getting fat while I'm unable to exercise? Should I be taking supplements? This article will address those concerns, plus more.

date : December 1, 2011
author : AMSSM
Is it possible to race with bruised ribs?
date : May 9, 2011
Stress fractures are one of the most feared injuries in the realm of endurance sports and they are also one of the most common sidelining injuries that such athletes face.

date : June 23, 2009
The whole bottoms of my feet hurt these days. Been running for a number of years now and this is a first. Do you have any tips?
date : August 12, 2008
I've read different protocols on stretching versus not stretching. Any advice? I don't want to injure myself more, and I want it to heal ASAP!

date : May 8, 2007
Do you have any ideas about why my body does not fully heal these many muscle injuries and is having an especially difficult time healing my calf?
date : September 3, 2006
Heel pain, especially in runners, is usually due to plantar fasciitis. The plantar fascia is a band of connective tissue on the bottom of your foot that stretches from the heel to the ball of the foot

date : April 9, 2005
If I start back training too soon will I cause more damage or will I just stop the healing process? How long should it take for the muscle to heal completely?