General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to wear! Naples, FL, January Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-16 2:21 PM

Subject: What to wear! Naples, FL, January
Hi, all--I'm brand-spanking new to triathlons and decided to sign up for the HITS Sprint in Naples, FL, in January--mostly because I have family down there and it was the earliest-in-the-year race I could find. Maybe not the best reasons to choose a first event, but it's done, and I'm set on it. But it dawned on me today that I don'T have a clue how to dress for it! Woops.... Looks like they recommend a wetsuit, so I'll be shopping around for one of those. But what to wear underneath? A tri-suit/kit? Won't I freeze my a$$ off? I'm reading everything I can find online, and checking out photos, but I would really appreciate some direct advice! So much to learn, and so excited to learn it!
Thanks for any and all thoughts,
LaughingGrrrl

2016-09-16 3:03 PM
in reply to: LaughingGrrrl

User image

Subject: RE: What to wear! Naples, FL, January
The water is usually pretty chilly in January so I'd recommend a wetsuit.

But I think the rest of the day you'll be very comfortable in a tri suit.

Have fun!
2016-09-16 3:19 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Actually my company had their annual sales meeting in Naples a couple years back, in January. I did a wonderful open water swim, no wetsuit. It was colder than your typical summertime lake temperature but I think it was at least 72 degrees.

It did get a little chilly at night (air temperature) to where you might want a windbreaker if you're walking outside.
2016-09-17 9:01 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Trisuit or separate tri shorts and top worn under the wetsuit (if you wear one).  FL winters vary and there's always at least one or two "cold" periods between Jan and Feb, as such the water temps will likely be lower 60's to lower 70's (found Naples beach avg to be 66F). I'd personally wear one but I'm a cool water weenie and everyone has a different tolerance level when it comes to water temps.  I've have worn one a number of times and have the getting out of it process down. If it a cold day having a riding jacket ready to put on can be very helpful in staying warm.  If your coming from the great white north then you may be fine!

There are different types of wetsuits; Full with full length arms & legs, Sleeveless with full length legs' Shorty with half length (knee) legs and no arms. If you can determine your sizing you should be able to find a used one on-line.  This past summer we did two family team tri's in upstate NY and I bought my kids each tri sleeveless wetsuits on eBay for $55 and $65 each shipped.

2016-09-19 10:16 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
My wife has done the 70.3 twice in the last 3 years. HITS Naples is always really well organized, so you'll have a great time.

In terms of the weather... well, it can vary quite a bit. First year she did the race, the water temp was 74F and the air temp was in the upper 60's at start and in the upper 80's when she finished. The humidity wasn't too bad. This year when did it again, the water was in the upper 60's and air temp was low 60's at start but went up to low 80's but really high humidity.

A wetsuit is not necessary if you're from the northern states, the water is warm enough. I would wear a tri suit for the entire race and that's about it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to wear! Naples, FL, January Rss Feed