General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Bike for Triathlons Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-17 6:44 AM

Subject: First Bike for Triathlons
I ran in my first Sprint last weekend... On a mountain bike (a Rockhopper Sport 29)... It's all I had. However, the bug has bitten and bitten bad and now I'm right where I was three months ago trying to purchase my first mountain bike. Manufacturers have stuff all over the place because customers like choices - I get that, but I really don't know what to purchase for a road bike.

Yep... I went down the road of wanting to just buy a tri-bike. Read all kinds of articles about why that wasn't necessarily a good idea and then spoke with a local who runs triathlons. He also recommended against a tri-bike. So, I'm looking for a road bike. I want to be "out the door" having spent $1500 minus accessories.

We are blessed to have three LBSs and one Trek store. Not sure how I classify the Trek store - is it a LBS or a franchise? I don't know... Anyway, here's what I've been shown (all 2017 models):

Specialized Allez E5 Elite - $1100 + tax and all the specs you can muster. Would have to pay for a fitting at about $150.

Trek Emonda ALR 4 - $1362 out the door. The Trek store says a fitting is included plus I get 25% off apparel and 15% off accessories the day of purchase and 10% off for the the 30 days off following my purchase.

Giant Contend SL Disc 1 - $1325 + tax. Not sure what all I get with that. It was my first time in that bike store.

There is also a LBS that sells Cannondale.

I don't need a lot in the way of apparel - I have shorts, jerseys, and have ordered a tri-suit already. I ride flats on my MTB but I know I want clipless on the road bike. So, that's new pedals and shoes. Probably a more aerodynamic helmet than my MTB helmet. A couple of bottle cages... Extra tube... Accessory bag... I keep thinking of stuff I'd need to purchase for group rides... O.O

Any thoughts? If needed, I'm 48 and I'd like to try for an Olympic in two to three years maybe something more in five or so years.

2016-09-18 1:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Subject: RE: First Bike for Triathlons

The Giant looks like the best bike to me but then it is the most expensive.  If the specs I see online are what you are getting in store then the Giant has Shimano 105 whereas the other two have Tiagra.  The 105 is a big step up in my opinion.  It also appears to have deeper section wheels, which will have aerodynamic advantages over the wheels on the other two bikes.  But, do you want disk brakes?  Are these even allowed in triathlons where you live?  Can you get them to put 105 on either of the other two bikes?  I think that would be my preference over a bike with disk brakes.

Also, more importantly is the fit.  Make sure you try out each bike to see which feels more comfortable to you.

Edited by tridantri 2016-09-18 1:38 PM
2016-09-18 7:15 PM
in reply to: tridantri

Thanks for the tip on the group set swap. It never occurred to me to ask if they'd do that. If they will, that'd be a plus.

I don't know the answer to your question about the disc brakes. I don't have enough experience yet to know.

I know the Trek store will actually fit me to the bike. I did ride the Emonda. I have not yet ridden the Allez but I will. I liked the Emonda though. However, coming only from a mountain bike (and a banana high-rise single speed Free Spirit bike from Sears in the early 70s), I don't have enough experience to know a lot of difference. Although I do know I don't want to do another Sprint on a MTB.
2016-09-19 1:46 PM
in reply to: Teufelhunden25

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I would recommend getting a bike fit first, so you know what bike fits you vs. trying to fit you to a bike.  Those three brands have different geometries.  You can get away with a little more on the fitting side on a road bike vs. a tri bike but I'd spend the $100-150 at a good fitter first, so you know what brands fit you. 

You'll still be able to find a good bike @ $1350-1400, depending on what your fit costs.

2016-09-20 7:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Not sure where you are in the process, but before you buy, you may want to read this. (Executive summary: there is the classic beginner's choice between getting a road bike, or a tri bike. But, guess what, there is another great option.):

http://darkspeedworks.com/blog-whatbike.htm

Hope that helps,
Greg @ dsw
2016-09-20 2:33 PM
in reply to: DarkSpeedWorks

User image

Master
Loughborough, England

I used this set-up for IM France - lots of climbing then fast descents where being in proper control of the bike in the drops was a huge advantage.

I'm not sure that daily riding where you are on the hoods is as comfortable as a road bike though.

2016-09-23 2:06 PM
in reply to: tridantri

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Discs are not allowed in many races right now. This might change soon but. . .

2016-09-23 2:18 PM
in reply to: simpsonbo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA
Originally posted by simpsonbo
Discs are not allowed in many races right now. This might change soon but. . .

Disc brakes ? Or, disc wheels ?
2016-09-26 5:20 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Any local shops carry Fuji? Their Roubaix model (not to be confused with Specialized's endurance model with the same) is a pretty "racy" aluminum framed bike that seems to be a very good value. Top-of-the-line version has a mix of Ultegra,105, Praxis, and Oval Concepts (house-brand) components at an MSRP of $1370. Performance Bicycle is selling the 2016 models right now for $1100. Claimed weight is 18.74 lbs for a Medium (54mm) frame. If I was in the market for a road bike in the +/- $1200 range, and had a Performance Bicycle store or other Fuji dealer near me, The Roubaix 1.1 would certainly be on my shopping list.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1186434_-1...

Edited by gary p 2016-09-26 5:24 PM
2016-09-27 12:19 PM
in reply to: gary p

My local Performance had the Roubaix for $675. I believe that was the 2016 model. I was only able to see that price in the store.
2016-09-27 5:13 PM
in reply to: fabfindz05

User image

Originally posted by fabfindz05

My local Performance had the Roubaix for $675. I believe that was the 2016 model. I was only able to see that price in the store.

For the Roubaix 1.1? That would be a steal! Even for the lower spec models (1.5 or 3.0, both Tiagra equipped), that's still a pretty good buy.

2016-10-02 6:11 PM

"Discs are not allowed in many races right now. This might change soon but. . ."

WOW! this concerns me! I am in the same boat. I decided to train for my first Tri next summer. I just bought a bike - the Giant. I like the bike. It fits me well and I am comfortable. I did not know however that disc brakes may not be allowed for races........this is going to make finding my first rate interesting...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Bike for Triathlons Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

new help picking bike for first triathlon

Started by jacq3749
Views: 883 Posts: 5

2008-06-26 6:42 AM jacq3749

First Triathlon Bike

Started by 60CS
Views: 918 Posts: 3

2008-03-19 12:08 PM 60CS

First Triathlon Bike Recommendations?

Started by afroncio
Views: 989 Posts: 6

2006-02-15 9:32 PM nmendoza

First Ride and First Fall in bike shoes! Pages: 1 2

Started by splerph
Views: 2410 Posts: 33

2005-10-09 11:22 AM feagajk

Buying my first triathlon Bike - Cervelo?

Started by smeining
Views: 1946 Posts: 15

2005-01-09 2:19 PM afreekdusoet
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"

date : November 6, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
A Walmart bike, a borrowed road bike or a new carbon fiber bike? You don't need to break the bank for your first triathlon bike.
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
comments : 0
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.