General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMAC Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-09-19 6:26 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Subject: IMAC
Anyone else do Ironman AC yesterday?

Fantastic coarse, well organized. Only complaint is that it was too hot! 85° with high humidity and with the exception of 1/2mile there was zero shade on the run.

2016-09-19 10:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: IMAC

No, I bailed a few weeks ago.  I did however sit around all day and bug my wife with right now I'd be at mile x on the bike.... or mile y on the run.  She found that more annoying then actually being at the race. 

I read on ST there was some issue with current on the swim again.  They changed the distance during the swim?  Did your AG do the full swim or shortened one?

Was the bike long again this year?

Edited by Goggles Pizzano 2016-09-19 10:17 AM
2016-09-19 11:20 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Exton, PA
Since it is a bay swim you have currents and tides as you know, however you never really know how strong they will be until you that day.

About 20 minutes before the first wave went they announced that the swim was going to be shortened to 1 mile because of the heavy currents. I had a friend in wave 1 and another in wave 2, I was in wave 10. Apparently people in the 1st couple of waves were having a hard time with current, and it was increasing as the tide was coming in. So it looks like between wave 4 and 5 they shortened the coarse again. I knew something wrong when I got of the water in 20 minutes flat, at 1 mile I should have been around 24-25 minutes

This was the same swim coarse as they had for Tri AC 5 weeks earlier (international distance) and they had no problems. They must have had a lot of people in trouble from the first couple wave or they would not have done that. First 2 waves were men 40-44, I think the 3rd wave was men 35-39 maybe the forth as well. So 2 strong groups having trouble out there probably made it and easy decision for the RD. Although he is taking slack for the short swim coarse.

The bike was dead nuts on 56 miles, the last 15 mile was heavy head winds.

2016-09-19 12:26 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

I'm starting to thing that race is jinxed.  I've done that swim at least 4 times with no issues.  But I seem to have been lucky the years I go.  Only problem year I was there was with the turn off sign but I was one of the few who saw it. 

I hope it's back next year.  Bader field is up for auction but not the first time.  I hated pulling the plug on the 70.3 this year so looking for amends to a poor performance there next year. 

2016-09-20 3:24 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

I'm starting to thing that race is jinxed.  I've done that swim at least 4 times with no issues.  But I seem to have been lucky the years I go.  Only problem year I was there was with the turn off sign but I was one of the few who saw it. 

I hope it's back next year.  Bader field is up for auction but not the first time.  I hated pulling the plug on the 70.3 this year so looking for amends to a poor performance there next year. 

It was organized well, they just got unlucky with the storm coming in, so the swim was short. There was a current that you had to swim against so it was not as fast as some people would think.

I don't see Bader field being sold anytime soon!
2016-09-21 6:14 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Newtown, Pennsylvania
I did the race as well. My first of that distance, and only my third race. I thought it was great and look forward to going back again next year. Great course, awesome support and aid at the stations... had one volunteer run with me and teach me how to use the salts she was giving out.

The swim....? I knew the shortened it to a mile before anyone went in. Once i was swimming, i just followed the rest of the pack, and trust that the people in charge knew what they were doing.

Funny thing about nature, it can't be controlled, so why bother complaining about it. I do this stuff for fun and to push myself.

I am taking the week off and then going to go into a long endurance build phase so i can try and improve my ridiculous bike split.

Edited by bjklemmer 2016-09-21 6:14 AM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IMAC Rss Feed