General Discussion Race Reports! » Colonial Bicycle Wallis Sands Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Colonial Bicycle Wallis Sands Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rye, New Hampshire
United States
Streamline Events
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 16m 52s
Overall Rank = 50/185
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

This was my first race in two years. Kind of took a hiatus from training/racing last year for family reasons and ended up renovating some of the house which now leaves me with a sweet office/gym so I can properly get back to training. Woke up at 5:30, shower, 2 cups of oats, 1 scoop of whey, 1/2 cup of milk. Grabbed a coffee on the way to the race, in terms of nothing new on race day I'd say having a cup of Dunks is absolutely nothing new. Definitely had some nerves getting closer so I purposely didn't get there too early so I wouldn't have time to sit and stew in my own thoughts before the race. Got there in enough time to set up my transition and talk to some people I knew.
Event warmup:

Did about 100-200 yards of swimming in the ocean. It was cold and the waves were a lot bigger than I expected. Not 2012 level when people were literally surfing 1/4 mile from our swim point, but big enough waves. Just went nice and easy, got used to the water and loosened up.
Swim
  • 09m 49s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Here it is. The MF'ing swim that has broken me many times before. No matter how well I did in the pool or in OWS this ocean swim was one of the few I do during the year and the waves or whatever here just kill me. Finally I slayed that dragon. I went so easy on this. Waves were every 3 minutes and I was in the first wave so I walked into the water which is what most people did but some ran in. Waves were big but at 6'6" I could walk pretty far in before I had to swim without trudging through the water and feeling like I was wasting energy. Once I got swimming I just took my time, thought of BigFuzzy's swim tips (if you don't have those that he posted years ago let me know, awesome tips) and kept myself long and made sure to extend. Got out to the middle buoy really quick, turned it pretty hard inside some others that went wide, then made my way to the last buoy. I was a bit off on my sighting going to buoy 3 but corrected myself and when I wanted to pass someone, I did. Not to say I put minimal effort into the swim but I took it easy by design not to necessarily to leave more for the bike/run but just to not psych myself out.
What would you do differently?:

Go harder. The demons are gone. Next time I'll feel perfectly fine going after this course and being in the top people out of the water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Unzipped my suit running out of the water. Being tall I find it to be a big advantage to be able to start wading out of the water and getting my suit off before I really hit the beach, so that's what I do. Left my goggles/cap in my suit sleeve and jogged up to transition. Had a bit of trouble getting the heels out but for the most part it was ok.

Eh, move a bit faster but for the most part it was ok. I know in a sprint every second counts but for this race I wasn't super concerned with my transitions.
Bike
  • 42m 13s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 20.61 mile/hr
Comments:

I had no doubts about my biking, it was really how can I pace myself after not racing for 2 years. For the most part I'm pretty happy with how it went. I kept it pretty smooth the whole time. Passed a few people right off the bat but I did get passed by more people than I've ever been passed by before. Maybe it was the way the waves were broken up or the fact I'm usually the last one out of the water, who knows. Regardless, just stuck with looking at my watch and seeing 21-23 MPH with a HR between 155-165 the whole time. Drank plenty of liquids, had 2 shot blocks just because I felt kind of hungry. I get my solace in knowing that the people that were passing me were on tri-bikes with deep wheels. Might be time for me to get on that. A little disappointed to avg under 21 MPH, would have sworn I had to higher but I know I could have pushed harder and chased some of those nice bikes down and I didn't since the run was really the unknown with me today.

Push harder. I've gone faster on this course in years before but maybe leveling off a bit helped my run
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Took my right foot out too early and couldn't get my left. Not a huge deal, just had to stop a few feet short of the dismount line but my wife and kids were right there so I got to slow down enough to see them and give my son a high five.

Learn a flying dismount maybe? Race belt could go on in the wetsuit but I put that on while running out so not a huge deal.
Run
  • 22m 24s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 29s  min/km
Comments:

Starting off I thought I was going slow. I haven't done ANY race pace work with the run lately, just all slow Z2 runs. On purpose I left the pace screen off my watch during the run so I'd just go by effort. Clicked the first mile off at 7:39 and I was in shock I was moving that fast. Missed the second mile split but finished at 7:13 miles which was awesome for me. I was pushing 165-170 BPM the whole way, so I had a little room to go at the end but that really felt like a good sustainable pace for the whole run. Maybe it was going a bit easy on the bike that set up for a good run but that was my fastest run at this race yet. Saw my wife and kids again about 100 yards from the chute and got a big high five from my son and supposedly he was screaming my name every time he saw me on the course which really just makes the whole thing worth it.

Push harder? Couldn't ask for much more where I am right now.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw my wife and kids, couple other friends, had some water and a couple bars and yogurts

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training. I've been going at it pretty good for the last 6 weeks, mainly swimming because I didn't want to die in the Atlantic, but the fact I came out and put up my best time at this race in 4 attempts on my least amount of training is interesting. Funny how I'm getting faster as I get older. 2012 1:32; 2013 1:21; 2014 1:18; 2016 1:16. Next year I'm definitely getting under 1:10. I know where the lowest hanging fruit is and plan to pick it all off this winter.

Event comments:

Sadly the post-race stuff wasn't as good as years before. The shirts were typically cotton, not tech shirts. No pizza or anything warm after the finish, just some nature valley bars and bananas. They usually do a great job with the post race business but this year it felt lacking.

Last updated: 2016-09-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:49 | 586 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 67/185
Performance: Good
Suit: Full sleeve
Course: Counter clockwise, 3 buoys
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:31
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:13 | 14.5 miles | 20.61 mile/hr
Overall: 63/185
Wind: Little
Course: 14 miles, flat
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:24 | 05 kms | 04m 29s  min/km
Overall: 54/185
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2016-09-19 7:24 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Subject: Colonial Bicycle Wallis Sands Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Colonial Bicycle Wallis Sands Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Colonial Bicycle Wallis Sands Triathlon

Started by maureen
Views: 774 Posts: 1

2016-09-18 4:46 PM maureen

Colonial Bicycle Wallis Sands Triathlon

Started by maureen
Views: 947 Posts: 1

2015-09-20 2:23 PM maureen

Wallis Sands Sprint Triathlon

Started by racer267
Views: 908 Posts: 1

2011-03-31 2:40 PM racer267

Started by mjengstrom
Views: 1229 Posts: 1

2010-10-06 3:54 PM mjengstrom

Started by mpento17
Views: 962 Posts: 1

2010-09-28 1:47 PM mpento17
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 31, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
You're Ready...Is Your Bike? Common problems that ruin race day:

date : June 30, 2009
author : FitWerx
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.
date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.

date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.
date : December 7, 2006
author : BobbyMcgee
By gradually running for increasingly longer periods on a softer surface, you will learn the technique and come to realize the benefits in injury prevention and speed.

date : September 19, 2004
author : Machiavelo
Do you have a bicycle and do not know where to begin to find one if you do not? How should go about choosing a bicycle that will be best suited for your needs?
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
Well its the middle of winter and there is 5 inches of snow on the ground and I am too cheap to buy a gym membership and take spinning classes, so what do I do?

date : August 31, 2004
Bikes need to be treated as vehicles by those who ride them.